+ Reply to Thread

Anyone feel like YOUR bank let you down on a scam???

Unfortunately i trusted my bank to KNOW if some American Express Gift Cheques were counterfeit or not. Apparantly there is not much training given on this. I have been left holding the debt on this. If anyone has had the same experience PLEASE contact me. I am trying to find how many people have had this problem, and what can be done about it..Thanks.....

Re: Anyone feel like YOUR bank let you down on a scam???

Quote Originally Posted by cntry52man
    Unfortunately i trusted my bank to KNOW if some American Express Gift Cheques were counterfeit or not. Apparantly there is not much training given on this. I have been left holding the debt on this. If anyone has had the same experience PLEASE contact me. I am trying to find how many people have had this problem, and what can be done about it..Thanks.....
    Is it safe to assume it went something like this. You received AmEx money gift checks from some unnamed source, deposited them into your bank account, and a couple of weeks later found out they were forged. In the meantime, you'd taken X amount of money out of your account, assuming the checks were totally legit. That threw you into a negative balance when they bounced, and you're being charged with the fees in the meantime.

You seem to make it sound as if the bank were the bad guy here, but no mention whatever of the person or persons that passed the bad gift cheques to you. Was this a work at home job you applied for, handling accounts for someone that said they couldn't do it in their country? Also, in defense of the financial institution, do you have any concept of how many issues there are world-wide of checks, money orders, these gift cheques, etc? is Is it really fair to expect a fairly low paid bank teller to be able to spot one of these forged instruments, given that?

Just from the sound of it, someone screwed you by passing a forged instrument, you're angry, and rather than accepting responsibility, want to point the finger.

Now in the interest of full disclosure, I do work for a financial institution, so I see things from the other side of the teller line, also.

Jerry