+ Reply to Thread

SOUL, SPIRIT - How Does the Bible Describe These?

DEFINITIONS OF: "SOUL", "SPIRIT"

CAN THE HUMAN SOUL DIE? WHAT IS MEANT BY "SPIRIT"?

"The belief that the soul continues its existence after the dissolution of the body is a matter of philosophical or theological speculation rather than of simple faith, and is accordingly nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture."—The Jewish Encyclopedia (1910), Vol. VI, p. 564.

UNVEILING BIBLICAL TRUTHS - VOLUME II
    "Hunger ye not after the unattainable, lest the hidden beauty and mysterious wonders of the 'real' life's simplicities that lay already within your grasp, should also elude you in your fruitless endeavors!'
    Extract from Quotable Sentiments by Emerantia Parnall-Gilbert Copyright C2005 All Rights Reserved

Re: SOUL, SPIRIT - How Does the Bible Describe These?

Em, the 1910 Jewish Encyclopaedia is not authoritative. In the event, Judaism is not a faith-based religion to begin with, and there are no dogmas concerning the afterlife, or whether there even is one.

The focus is on how you live, here and now. There's been some speculation on what an afterlife might be like, lots of us believe in reincarnation, some believe in Olam Haba, and some of us believe when you die you're gone. It's what you do while you're alive that matters, not what happens after you die, so death hasn't been problematised in Judaism. It's a different religion, and a different mindset totally to Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKid
    Em, the 1910 Jewish Encyclopaedia is not authoritative. In the event, Judaism is not a faith-based religion to begin with, and there are no dogmas concerning the afterlife, or whether there even is one.

The focus is on how you live, here and now. There's been some speculation on what an afterlife might be like, lots of us believe in reincarnation, some believe in Olam Haba, and some of us believe when you die you're gone. It's what you do while you're alive that matters, not what happens after you die, so death hasn't been problematised in Judaism. It's a different religion, and a different mindset totally to Christianity.

Hi ComplexKid :)

Yes, you are right! On all counts LOL! For sure - it does matter what we do in this life with our life and live it now whilst we can.

Sorry, but I meant to add other quotations as well - not just acknowledgement from "The Jewish Encyclopedia (1910), Vol VI,P.564

Didn't want to clutter the thread with some of the other scholarly acknowledgements as well, who are not JW's - but are all in agreement as to what the Bible says the SOUL and the SPIRIT are.
    To make it short and sweet I decided just to add my Blogsite link - where you will find some more interesting information. Or I mean, for those that are interested

UNVEILING BIBLICAL TRUTHS - VOLUME II

Hmmm re reincarnation :) - I wondered why my horse kept following me all over the place making a nuisance of himself and nudging me in the back all the time...as though he was trying to tell me something! LOL!

take care and have a great day!
    EmmaUNVEILING BIBLICAL TRUTHS - VOLUME II :)
    "Hunger ye not after the unattainable, lest the hidden beauty and mysterious wonders of the 'real' life's simplicities that lay already within your grasp, should also elude you in your fruitless endeavors!'
    Extract from Quotable Sentiments by Emerantia Parnall-Gilbert Copyright C2005 All Rights Reserved

spirit comes from the latin word ''spirare'' meaning to breath..

Quote Originally Posted by j*man
    spirit comes from the latin word ''spirare'' meaning to breath..

Hiya!

As the dutch always say 'I KNOW, I KNOW! lol :D

I read the bible in Hebrew a lot more often than in English because the language differences are such that no matter how good a translation, you'll lose too much with it. There is more than one word for soul and spirit in biblical Hebrew, but that's cos we've got a bunch of them. So you can say that some die when the person dies, but some don't--it wouldn't work with the laws of physics if they did ;). That's per Judaic thought, though, not Christian, and there is a gulf, despite the holy books being somewhat similar.

Sometimes we moderns tend to be far less sophisticated than all those 'primitive' folks who wrote the myths and stories to start with. They had such a sense of nuance that we--apparently--have almost entirely lost.

how about this.....man is a living soul.a spirit is an immortal being!?no new spirits have been created!?they have a finite number!?otherwise how could a perfect 3RD fall from heaven!?man,on the other hand is infinite in number!?potentially!?man as a soul has a choice of spirits as a host.this host thing is principally between 2 lords of hosts.god and satan.we today are FURTHER away from this reality of things than ever before in mans KNOWN history!?or should i say confronted by the reality of effects with NO clue as to the REAL CAUSE/CURE!?and this by the NO place to RUN and hide small world theory!?hehe!!......just askin....
    Last edited by lexx; 01-20-2007 at 08:04 AM.

We are all souls, according to God's words in the Bible, let's all open our Bible up to Genesis 2:7 " And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul."