+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ice In Texas

Ice In Texas

We don't get much ice and snow here in North Central Texas, but the last couple of days everything has looked like it was made of crystal.

Re: Ice In Texas

Here is a closeup of the plum tree in the second photo. I tried to show the ice on the tractor, but it didn't show up on the shadow side very well. The other side was just glare from the sun.

Hope you didn't lose any branches or buds on your trees.

Wow! Snow!!! Seems to me, you took all snow in the United States from Russia. :rolleyes: We have no any snow in Moscow... Also we have no frost... :(

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Quote Originally Posted by dr poormouth
    Hope you didn't lose any branches or buds on your trees.
    The mesquite trees lost a few small branches, but nothing serious. They are sort of self-pruning anyway. The only way to kill mesquites is to dig them up. Nothing had started to bud yet; too early. Our native plants know it can be 75 degrees one day and 25 the next.

Boris, I heard that you were having an unusually warm winter in Moscow. We didn't have any snow in my area, just rain that froze all over everything. Our cat insisted on going outside yesterday. He didn't stay out long. Nearly froze his little paws off.

LS

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    The mesquite trees lost a few small branches, but nothing serious. They are sort of self-pruning anyway. The only way to kill mesquites is to dig them up. Nothing had started to bud yet; too early. Our native plants know it can be 75 degrees one day and 25 the next.

Boris, I heard that you were having an unusually warm winter in Moscow. We didn't have any snow in my area, just rain that froze all over everything. Our cat insisted on going outside yesterday. He didn't stay out long. Nearly froze his little paws off.

LS
    Yes, we have the unusually warm winter in Moscow. At the January 19th Epiphany will be. In this day usually we have a very strong frost (in last year about -30°C). But now, we have only from -1°C to 7°C. It's very badly. I've seen on the street green grass, new leaves on the trees and also the buds. Huh... :( Also we have no snow. If the situation with the frost is bearable thing, so absence of the snow is a bad thing for farming. I hope, you understand why...

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

LS
    It takes a helluva lot of some fierce natural force to harm a Mesquite Tree. They are the Rambo Trees of nature - they just say: "bring it on".
    Plum tree limbs are also very sturdy and difficult to damage, especially since they are so supple and tough. The 'switches' off of these used to be my Moms switch of choice when she wanted to flaggalate my legs for some infraction. And, worst of all, she would tell me to go choose one! :eek: :D

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    It takes a helluva lot of some fierce natural force to harm a Mesquite Tree. They are the Rambo Trees of nature - they just say: "bring it on".
    You got that right. You can cut them off at ground level and fifty more will come up from the roots. They have a will to live like nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Plum tree limbs are also very sturdy and difficult to damage, especially since they are so supple and tough. The 'switches' off of these used to be my Moms switch of choice when she wanted to flaggalate my legs for some infraction. And, worst of all, she would tell me to go choose one! :eek: :D
    My mom used peach tree switches, and yes, I usually had to go get one. Our parents would have been put in jail nowdays, unfortunately.

LS

You got that right. You can cut them off at ground level and fifty more will come up from the roots. They have a will to live like nothing else.

My mom used peach tree switches, and yes, I usually had to go get one. Our parents would have been put in jail nowdays, unfortunately.

LS
    my mom wasn't too bad. I would usually bring her a humongous switch to use, she would just laugh. That didn't happen much, but I had a secret hatred for that Plum tree in the back yard! :D
    She would usually get me by one hand and try to switch me with the other. I would take off running and pull my legs up so she would miss. But, every now and then, when my legs got tired I would have to lower them and get a couple of licks. Mostly just emphasis - not much, as in prolonged and mean spirited.
    My Father, different story. He had some, I think 'pent up' anger from some issue in his life and that would come out. Not a good thing!
    When punishing a child, anger should not be involved. Then it gets abusive and mean. Besides, the child is at a disadvantage in several respects.

Update:

Well, it snowed on Wednesday from about 3:00 AM to 10:00 AM. Schools and businesses, county offices shut down. Dallas - Fort Worth freeways were covered with twisted wreckage. People out here where I live just stayed home. I didn't see a single vehicle until almost noon. My grandson just turned eight on the 14th, so this is the first snow he remembers. He had a blast. Now it is raining again, but at least it is not freezing. Winters are so dreary here......Come, Spring!

I agree about the anger thing, coontie. If you are angry with your child, you need to cool off before you proceed with discipline. Your mother and father sound a lot like mine. Did you get any of that snow?

LS

I can't believe this! It is 3 PM, April 7, between Fort Worth and Waco, Texas, and it is snowing! Has been since 10 AM. Not just a little, it is really coming down. Big, wet flakes. Of course, nothing is sticking, since it is too warm. All winter, and just that one little ice storm followed by a little snow and rain, then here, the day before Easter, a blizzard. No one messes with Texas except Mother Nature.

LS

We had a snowfall too. After the warm days, we have a cold weather now.
    On the photo: the view outside my window. I did this photo yesterday. :rolleyes:

Nice winter picture Boris.
    I just got back a couple hours ago from south central Texas where my wife and I visited with some extended family members; about 50 people. We took a group phot and some family group photos.
    Then we met at the family Matriarchs house and had lots os good Texas Ranch type foor, Beer, Wine, Champagne, Whiskey and Vodka. A very good time.
    The wife and I stayed at a new motel that cost about 5 million dollars to build. Many of the tenants are oil field workers as there is a lot of oil well drilling and gas well drilling going on there.
    We have big lands about 15 miles south of there and are hoping they will go down that way. We alreadys have leased our land for oil well drilling. We know there is oil there.
    If it comes in, we will have you and wife to the U.S.A. and have you bring some of the best vodka and some of those Caviar Burgers with you and we will have a very big party! :D
    Perhaps in a years or so... :rolleyes:
    While there, we had a big snow... unusual for this time of the year. It snowed so hard we could barely see and it was piling up on the windshield wipers. WHen we returned to Louisiana there was no snow and temperature about 65 degrees!

Nice picture, Boris. Our snow was not that pretty; it just came down and disappeared. It snowed for eight hours straight.

Coontie: we live on top of the Barnett Shale deposit that everyone is talking about and were fortunate enough to sign a natural gas lease on our property back in December. Nice money for doing nothing. I lived in Shreveport for about a year and a half back in '61-'62. We lived on Clover Lane and I went to first grade at Caddo Heights Elementary. The one weather event that I remember from that time was hail the size of baseballs. My sister hit me in the head with one of them and nearly knocked me out.

LS

Thanks LS... We have a little snowfall every day and this disgrace will be continue till the April 16th. :D

Hmmm... I see here a Conference of the Oil Magnates...