+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Help Required....

    Looking for a wee bit of help here.

    Aside from various other interests, I work as well! :D

    And I am looking for some advice.

    My role is an advertsing sales manager and trainer, for an ad system, that goes into the back of cabs, here.

    Like a flat screen positoned behind the drivers head rest.

    Audio visual adverts.

    Anyway, that is a moot point.

    When I came to the company, I had to empty out all the negative individuals who were dragging it into the mire.

    We are recruting two new sales people for next month, and the MD is keen on psychometric testing.

    Personally, I am undecided as to it's merits, since it seems to lean more toward academic intelligence, when I would prefer to measure creative and positive intelligence.

    This is what it says about Psychometric testing.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychometric_tests


    Now, having read that, can anyone suggest alternative tests that I can grab online that are more in keeping with the criterea that I am looking for.

    Your help would be v much appreciated.



    Thank you


    Steve
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    228

    Re: Help Required....

    The folks on the JREF forum discussed this a year ago, but I don't think anyone suggested an alternative to psychometric testing.

    http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...t=psychometric

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    The folks on the JREF forum discussed this a year ago, but I don't think anyone suggested an alternative to psychometric testing.

    http://forums.randi.org/showthread.p...t=psychometric
    Okay, thanks for the link to that forum, anyone else have any other thoughts on this...?


    Thanks


    Steve


    :)
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Help Required....

    There are often direct connections between intelligence and creativity, especially in the advertising field where you not only need creativity but the ability to have that art serve a function.
    If by academic intelligence you mean a sort of IQ test, I think that would be very useful. Remember you aren't creating art for art's sake, and purely creative individuals who don't also possess "academic" intelligence are doomed to disappoint clients by creating something pleasing to the eye that doesn't get the point across at all.
    IQ tests work with those kinds of people too I believe.
    But the real way to get to know a potential employee is to hire a profiling company to conduct the interviews for you. I worked at one of those places a while ago and we had two way mirrors for interviews, with professional psychologists on the unseen side, IQ tests, plenty of things, and from those activities these companies are able to tell you with a surprising amount of accuracy many details about the potential employee's personality

  5. #5
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Help Required....

    when you use two-way mirrors for this purpose are you required by law to advise the interviewee regarding that they are being observed?
    Also, what is the observer looking for. To have a requirement to be able to view the subject seems to stress the necessity to observe body language?
    Is this not subjective, based upon the personal projections of the observer?
    I have not as yet heard where body language interpretation has become a reliable science.
    Also, I would say there is a requirement for 'ordinary' common-sense. There are people that 'show up' as quite intelligent that lack a great deal of common sense.
    I recently saw a game-show where there was a large gallery of people that were supposed to be in the know in regard to certain clues. About twenty of these individuals were what is know as prodigies. They were quite 'brainy' but when it came to making ordinary sense of things, they showed up as quite lacking. In their case they lacked what one could term 'life-experience'. Justgoes to show that just because someone is 'smart' they still never have all of the answers.
    This is where a think-tank sort of resource comes in handy. Give this group a desired result and let them come up with some conclusions. But, they should be screened to assure that they, as someone said, can create something pleasing to the eye, but otherwise not functional.
    Also, you can have the sort that want to inflate the idea - take it beyond where it really should go.
    Last edited by coontie; 01-20-2007 at 02:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    when you use two-way mirrors for this purpose are you required by law to advise the interviewee regarding that they are being observed?
    Sure, of course they know exactly what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Also, what is the observer looking for. To have a requirement to be able to view the subject seems to stress the necessity to observe body language?
    Is this not subjective, based upon the personal projections of the observer?
    I have not as yet heard where body language interpretation has become a reliable science.
    These people are trained in body language interpretation, as well as speech analysis, etc. It's of course not an exact science but it is reliable.
    If you take all the different things that are observed, there are things that won't fit the profile you end up with, but you take the over-all impression and it will usually be reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    I recently saw a game-show where there was a large gallery of people that were supposed to be in the know in regard to certain clues. About twenty of these individuals were what is know as prodigies. They were quite 'brainy' but when it came to making ordinary sense of things, they showed up as quite lacking. In their case they lacked what one could term 'life-experience'. Justgoes to show that just because someone is 'smart' they still never have all of the answers.
    This is where a think-tank sort of resource comes in handy. Give this group a desired result and let them come up with some conclusions. But, they should be screened to assure that they, as someone said, can create something pleasing to the eye, but otherwise not functional.
    Also, you can have the sort that want to inflate the idea - take it beyond where it really should go.
    Sure, there are people with book smarts but no common-sense, that's also something these tests can indicate.
    Businesses pay a whole lot of money for these tests to be done, it's a common practice in big business.

  7. #7
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Help Required....

    so how about the 'eye-language'... what have you heard about that?
    The movement of the eyes while speaking. Example:

    - upward glance, quickly, or same, rather longer.

    - sideways glance, to left.

    - sideways glance, to right

    - glance down.

    It seems established that someone that fails to look another directly in the eyes when supposedly sating a truth is not being truthful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    so how about the 'eye-language'... what have you heard about that?
    The movement of the eyes while speaking. Example:

    - upward glance, quickly, or same, rather longer.

    - sideways glance, to left.

    - sideways glance, to right

    - glance down.

    It seems established that someone that fails to look another directly in the eyes when supposedly sating a truth is not being truthful.
    Sure, that's all taken into account when possible too

  9. #9
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Sure, that's all taken into account when possible too
    yes, I am sure it is. What I am actually asking though is what is YOUR interpretation of these various mannerisms?
    Last edited by coontie; 01-20-2007 at 03:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    228

    Re: Help Required....

    It seems established that someone that fails to look another directly in the eyes when supposedly sating a truth is not being truthful.
    In this culture at least. In others, it is a sign of respect.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    27,212

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    In this culture at least. In others, it is a sign of respect.
    and of course.....respect is a REQUIREMENT!?a passing grade or measuring- deserving point of NOTE!?an unspoken RELIGION!?hehe!!.....just askin...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    27,212

    Re: Help Required....

    this reminds me of the "TEST" for a REPLICANT in the movie "BLADE RUNNER"!?hehe!!.....it's all to SERVE the perfect race!?the silent UTOPIA scheme with NO NAME!?majority rules!?NO REALLY!?now we have the tools to CREATE the majority of our choice!?by natural selection!?hehe!!......just askin...

  13. #13
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    In this culture at least. In others, it is a sign of respect.


    Uhhhhhh... I see - thanks!

  14. #14
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    and of course.....respect is a REQUIREMENT!?a passing grade or measuring- deserving point of NOTE!?an unspoken RELIGION!?hehe!!.....just askin...

    damn... I keep observing how such uncanny and clear perception you have. Perhaps I can borrow your 'crystal-ball' sometime :confused: :eek:

  15. #15
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Help Required....

    well, I will have to say; what I've heard through time, these test cannot really be objective, as in impartial, biased, as one has to consider who is on the 'hot-seat' and whose not, And, mainly who is paying th observers.
    The paying is what determines the 'loyalty' to the task... :rolleyes:
    The main question is ALWAYS, what singular human can handle true power and authority when it comes to holding sway over others.
    When I was a manager and hiring, I always took time to focus on the importance of the Interview; not one but at least two The first a preliminary, as a sort of a 'breaking the ice' - introductory meeting of BOTH parties, to get an initial look. Then follow-up. One following should do, rarely more.
    I have been on several occasions, when being hired, been exposed to 4 and
    once 5 interviews. Finally, I didn't go back. I realized that the interviewer's superiors were using me [and possibly others] to give the interviewer experience. Wasing my time. Besides, becoming very much aware on two occasions that the agenda was 'political' on their part. In that they were merely trying to fufill EEO requirements and already had a favorite person designee already on staff that would get the position as a given.
    Anyhow - the interview, that is where one should work to determine wjo you are getting. No sheninagans, playing games, psychometric testin [bull$hit] this is code on the part of the hiring party for not knowing what they are doing or who they are really working for. Much less the two way mirror observatin crap. People are not Chimpanzees - be respectful! This is an important facet that management needs to be always mindful to extend to their employees. Arrogance and disrespect on the part of the employer is as damaging to the work force as is the same in a problem employee.
    I always tried to hire with the idea that I would qualify the person then and there for the position, as I knew what my needs were and the type that would fufill it. That and always considering a reasonable and comprehensive training period with one of my veteran employees. From whom I would get feed-back and adjust the process accordingly. Of about ten people I hired in two years for a five year total stint [a project] I only had to fire two - both for malingering. There was a lot of latitude for peoples application to their work. They were 95 percent out of sight. So a great deal of trust in the individual was required - two demostrated they could'nt stand up to it. Such is human nature.
    Last edited by coontie; 01-20-2007 at 10:29 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,471

    Re: Help Required....

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    well, I will have to say; what I've heard through time, these test cannot really be objective, as in impartial, biased, as one has to consider who is on the 'hot-seat' and whose not, And, mainly who is paying th observers.
    The paying is what determines the 'loyalty' to the task... :rolleyes:
    The main question is ALWAYS, what singular human can handle true power and authority when it comes to holding sway over others.
    When I was a manager and hiring, I always took time to focus on the importance of the Interview; not one but at least two The first a preliminary, as a sort of a 'breaking the ice' - introductory meeting of BOTH parties, to get an initial look. Then follow-up. One following should do, rarely more.
    I have been on several occasions, when being hired, been exposed to 4 and
    once 5 interviews. Finally, I didn't go back. I realized that the interviewer's superiors were using me [and possibly others] to give the interviewer experience. Wasing my time. Besides, becoming very much aware on two occasions that the agenda was 'political' on their part. In that they were merely trying to fufill EEO requirements and already had a favorite person designee already on staff that would get the position as a given.
    Anyhow - the interview, that is where one should work to determine wjo you are getting. No sheninagans, playing games, psychometric testin [bull$hit] this is code on the part of the hiring party for not knowing what they are doing or who they are really working for. Much less the two way mirror observatin crap. People are not Chimpanzees - be respectful! This is an important facet that management needs to be always mindful to extend to their employees. Arrogance and disrespect on the part of the employer is as damaging to the work force as is the same in a problem employee.
    I always tried to hire with the idea that I would qualify the person then and there for the position, as I knew what my needs were and the type that would fufill it. That and always considering a reasonable and comprehensive training period with one of my veteran employees. From whom I would get feed-back and adjust the process accordingly. Of about ten people I hired in two years for a five year total stint [a project] I only had to fire two - both for malingering. There was a lot of latitude for peoples application to their work. They were 95 percent out of sight. So a great deal of trust in the individual was required - two demostrated they could'nt stand up to it. Such is human nature.
    As far as interviewing folks, especially for sales positions, during the interview they are essentially "selling" themselves... Any sales person worth their salt, will be able to ace any interview, whether deserving of the position, or not, while looking you straight in the eye! If your gonna lie, look 'em in the eye...

Similar Threads

  1. Required watching for ALL prospects.
    By ChrisDoyle in forum MLM Scams
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 11:27 AM
  2. In need of suggestions (sense of humor required)
    By aosmith in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 09:22 PM
  3. Very Urgent Info Required
    By kiran_kumar_s in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 11:56 AM
  4. Free WII No Credit Card Required
    By WII in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 05:28 AM
  5. Advice required
    By Wanderer in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2006, 10:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •