+ Reply to Thread

All cures are here on Earth....

I have long held a theory, in fact, since I was about 10 (28 yrs ago), that for every disease or illness that afflicts mankind, there is a cure, and that the cure lies in flora and fauna.

Here is one example;

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_ch...?storyid=14194

I am sure the scientifically minded will be able to think of some others, however, there is a danger that with our destruction of the environment, the rain forests, the habitat of the many creatures of this earth, that we are effectively (along with it), destroying our chances of discovering more and more examples of this.

:(

Steve

*If my theory is correct, and there lies on earth, a cure for every illness and disease, what does this suggest? I am no beleiver in 'god', however, it would be like we were being provided for here, and all we need to is use our intelligence to find them*
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Re: All cures are here on Earth....

When people talk about cures, the discussion mostly centers around what we can cure or should cure with regards to human illness and desease. But what may cure humans, could poison other life forms. Oxygen is a good example. We of course need it in quantities of about 21 percent or more when we breath. But oxygen is one of the most corrosive elements there is. Not to us of course but even our bodies can only take so much for so long without some detrimental effects. I believe I've read somewher that eons ago, when there was a lower percentage of O2 in the atmosphere, life forms existed that could not adapt to a more oxygen rich environment. Even today, some species, especially plants, thrive in high elevations and cannot be found at sea level.

So if for example, we find a cure for aids, then that will likely mean the destruction of a species, the aids virus. Good for a bunch of folks in africa but bad for the bug. And if people can think that god create themselves in his own image as the superior life form, why can't a bug?
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Save the smallpox virus!
    Save the smallpox virus!
    Disinfectants are murder!!!

I have long held a theory, in fact, since I was about 10 (28 yrs ago), that for every disease or illness that afflicts mankind, there is a cure, and that the cure lies in flora and fauna.
    I'm sure some neanderthal held the same theory. There is no reason to believe the world is here for our benefit. However, I agree that there are probably some very useful undiscovered compounds in nature. Have you seen the movie Medicine Man http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104839/ ? It oversimplifies for dramatic effect, but the writer was making the same point.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    I'm sure some neanderthal held the same theory. There is no reason to believe the world is here for our benefit. However, I agree that there are probably some very useful undiscovered compounds in nature. Have you seen the movie Medicine Man http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104839/ ? It oversimplifies for dramatic effect, but the writer was making the same point.
    I didn't say that it was.

I said that in the most unlikely of places, cures to all of mankind's diseases can potentially be found, right here on earth, yet, ironically, mankind are decreasing their odds on discovering them, by the way we destroy the habitat of the other creatures that we share the planet with.

And no, I have not seen that film.
    new technologies.

I often wonder about the word natural. It's usually associated with what occurs in nature right? I look at something like say the Boulder dam and people say that it is "unnatural" because it diverts the natural flow of the Colorado river. Then I go for a hike in the country along a stream and come upon a beaver dam. And when I show my pictures that I took to the same people they say, "Isn't nature wonderful?"

Every cure that mankind has ever found, he found here on earth. There is nothing on this earth, other than some moon rocks and meteorite bits that is not of this planet. A plastic bottle was made from ingredients that can be found naturally. Statins, for the treatment of high cholesterol, are a combination of several elements that did not arrive by comet or the appolo missions. Man creates substances for his own use just like bees create honey for theirs. Nature IS wonderful.
    Last edited by bogie; 01-14-2007 at 06:59 PM.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment

Here is one example;

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_ch...?storyid=14194

I am sure the scientifically minded will be able to think of some others, however, there is a danger that with our destruction of the environment, the rain forests, the habitat of the many creatures of this earth, that we are effectively (along with it), destroying our chances of discovering more and more examples of this.

:(

Steve

*If my theory is correct, and there lies on earth, a cure for every illness and disease, what does this suggest? I am no beleiver in 'god', however, it would be like we were being provided for here, and all we need to is use our intelligence to find them*

I think, in general, this is correct; for all human maladies there is a 'natural cure' available; derived from plant, animal, mineral.
    Much of this has become a lost art remaining with the ancients. Up until about 100 years ago, many Americans knew remedies and cures for many diseases and maladies. There are still some Herbal reference books that catalog these herbs and their effectiveness. Much of the American continent information was gathered from the aboriginal indians that were here before the white man. They daily depended upon this knowledge for their health and survival.
    At on time, the government of the United States maintained a Pharmacopiea of these cures and remedies. Today, they are much abandoned due to the desire and efforts of the Pharmacitical Industry to hold license and property to medications, mostly based upon their desire to attach a big money price tag on humanity's health.
    The natural remedies, specifically the direct knowledge of the effective herbs, animal substances and mineral substances, IN THEIR PURE STATE have been abandoned in favor of 'checmical-duplication' of the effective constituents of these natural materials. They have sought to isolate and sensitize the main important factors and provide these in pills, capsules, liquids and vaccines. Mostly from the standpoint of mass production, readily convienent supply, storage and durability in shipment and handling. While some of these considerations are worthwhile and important, there is probably a great deal lacking in the synthetic materials. There are some trace-constituents that are probably very important, combined with the majority materials in one herb substance, for instance. In the synthesizing, these trace materials are discarded; either considered as not important or, plain and simple, overlooked, as in undected.
    One circumstance which is presently ordinarily practiced by the 'field of medicine' is that doctors prescribe three, four, five different drugs, all to be consumed simutaneously, or in close periods of ingestion of these materials by the subject. My thought has been: how is it that these materials are not compounded together and taken as one drug compound, rather than seperately? I have known of elderely individuals that are taking quite an assortment of prescribed drug materials every day and some have gotten worse rather than improving. A visit and consulation with doctor and examination of daily materials being ingested has resulted in backing off of somewhere around 10 - 12 medications [different drugs/day] to the basic materials, such as blood pressure regulators. Then, monitoring the patient daily for health performance and adding only drugs that appear to be helful. This individual went back to taking three different drug prescriptions/day versus the twelve prior. For one thing, they ceased to feint and fall on their face resulting in serious injury.
    In closing, if you have high blood pressure issues, leave salt out of the diet altogether. Since Salt has been amended with Iodine for Thyroid maintenance make sure that you get a sufficient amount of Iodine in your diet. You might consider taking an eight-ounce glass of water with three drops of Iodine once a week as a supplement. Or, use a multi vitamin which contains Iodine.
    Other than this, consume an about two inch diameter by one-eighth inch thick slice of Ginger in the morning or evening, or drink Ginger Tea, same frequency. As well, Ginko Biloba tree leaves, one per day works effectively.
    These are blood thinners. With the Ginko; get some gelatin capsules and cut an average sized leaf ub into small bits and stuff into the capsule. Take two each day. Ginko is very bitter. If you are the 'macho' type, you can try chewing it straight. Is also a good tonic to tone the stomach.
    If you have been placed on an Antibiotic regimen for some reason, take about a four ounce portion of Yogurt with two or three varaties of live culture twice a day, as long as on the anitbiotics and for a week after ceasing taking this material. The Antibiotic kills off the helpful bacteria in the gut and efficient digestion ceases. If someone taking antibiotics wonders why they feel so 'off', 'bad'. Often it is not the illness causing it as much as the antibiotic interferring with proper digestion. The yogurt with the live cultures replaces the natural materials killed in the stomach. After reestablishing the normal bacterial cultures in the stomach, as one eats daily food materials, especially fruits and vegetables, the bacteria is naturally supported.
    Last edited by coontie; 01-21-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Source: http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/health/ 6268585.stm

Wednesday, 17 January 2007, 13:27 GMT

Parasites 'may help MS patients'

Worms can avoid attack by the immune system
    Having millions of parasites living in your gut may actually be a benefit if you also have multiple sclerosis, a study has found.
    The methods used by the creatures to stop our immune systems wiping them out could be keeping the illness at bay.

Argentinian scientists looked at 24 MS patients - some with parasitic infections, and some without.

The Annals of Neurology study found the parasite-riddled group had far fewer MS 'relapses'.

This is the first study to report chronic exposure to parasites as an environmental factor altering the course of MS in humans

Institute of Neurological Research scientists

MS is caused when the body's own immune system turns on the protein sheaths around some of our nerves.

Most patients suffer a form called 'relapsing-remittin g' MS, in which long periods of stability are punctuated by relapses that involve far more severe symptoms, and which can lead to worsening of day-to-day disability.

Relapse rate

While the cause of the immune attack is not fully understood, many treatments involve suppressing the body's immune system to keep it under control, even though this may cause unwanted side-effects.

Parasites also have to suppress the effects immune system to thrive, and the researchers from the Institute of Neurological Research in Buenos Aires wanted to find out whether this had any knock-on effect on MS.

They looked at 12 patients with relapsing-remitting MS who had been diagnosed with intestinal parasites, and 12 with the same condition - but no parasites.

The infected patients were infested with a variety of different species - tapeworms, nematode worms, whipworms and pinworms.

On average, the patients were then followed for more than four years to see how many relapses they suffered during that period.

In the parasite-free group, there were 56 relapses in total, while in those carrying parasites, there were only three.

When the disability levels of the patients were assessed, in the parasite group, only a few had suffered any increase in disability, while most in the non-parasite group were more disabled on a day-to-day basis.

The scientists said it was possible that the parasites were able to influence the production of T-cells - cells which "dampen down" immune reactions within the body, both ensuring their success, and reducing "autoimmune" illnesses such as MS.

"To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to report chronic exposure to parasites as an environmental factor altering the course of MS in humans," they wrote.

Western illnesses

A spokesman for the MS society said that environmental factors were known to play a role in MS but that the picture 'was not clear'.

"This is an interesting but very preliminary study, and more research is needed to assess its significance.

"Many drugs currently used for the treatment of MS work through immune suppression.

"The idea is that this reduces disease activity and gives the nervous system a chance to recover."

Auto-immune diseases, in which the body recognises a part of itself as 'foreign' and attacks it, affect approximately 5% to 7% of people in 'western' countries such as the UK and US.

Some theories - the 'hygiene hypothesis' - suggest that the relatively low levels of bacterial and parasitic infections in these developed countries may be one reason why such diseases, such as Crohn's disease and type I diabetes are more common.

In the US, treatments for autoimmune gut conditions involving swallowing worm eggs have been offered.
    new technologies.

Source: http://www.channeln ewsasia.com/ stories/americas /view/253685/ 1/.html

US scientist produces vaccines from genetically- modified plants
    By Channel NewsAsia's US Correspondent Steve Mort | Posted: 20 January 2007 1936 hrs

An Indian-born US scientist has found a way to genetically engineer plants to make large amounts of certain vaccines.

Taken orally, they would be a lot cheaper than injected vaccines making them ideal for use in poor countries.

The US government hopes such drugs could one day fight bio-terror threats like anthrax.

At the scientist's lab, researchers are working to revolutionise the way people around the world are vaccinated for a range of diseases.

Professor Henry Daniell of the University of Central Florida has devised a way to produce oral vaccines at a fraction of the usual cost, making them affordable in developing countries.

Professor Daniell says: "One third of the world population, two billion people, earn less than two dollars a day. And a 26,000 to 40,000 dollar treatment is unimaginable for that population. So even though treatments are available, they're beyond their reach. And now, through oral delivery, it is possible for the world, no matter where they live, to get this treatment in an affordable manner."

Scientists first inject plants, like tobacco, lettuce or carrots, with vaccine genes.

They are then planted in a greenhouse before being crushed and put into capsules to be taken by patients.

The method skips a number of traditional processes involved in producing the therapeutic proteins needed to make vaccines thus cutting the price of the final product.

Professor Daniell says: "By doing this you completely eliminate all the other costs associated with the therapeutic proteins. But the major unanticipated advantage of this was our ability to cure certain autoimmune diseases which has never been done before. And so that was an added benefit which came in relation to reducing the cost of the therapeutic proteins."

And these oral vaccines, if approved, would be much easier to mass produce.

It is estimated just one acre of tobacco plants, for example, could produce enough anthrax vaccine to inoculate everyone in the United States.

Professor Daniell says the possibilities are wide-ranging: "We have now developed this system for several vaccines - for the bio-terrorism vaccines like anthrax and for plague, but for other important diseases in developing countries - waterborne pathogens like cholera, amebiasis and also viruses like aura virus. All of these vaccines have already been developed. We are also in the process of developing vaccines for malaria and tuberculosis. "

The US government, including the National Institutes of Health, has provided US$3 million of funding for the research.

Tests in mice have been successful and it's believed there are fewer side-effects than with traditional vaccines.

Professor Daniell says: "The next step is human clinical trials. And in the case of bioterrorism vaccines, these are on fast-track approval. And so in those cases we have found additional support in the US. It is extremely expensive - it costs 300 to 400 million dollars to do these clinical trials."

Professor Daniell says he decided to work on cheap vaccines after witnessing the impact of disease in his native India.

It is hoped the research will lead to treatments for further illnesses, including diabetes and hepatitis, as well as other bioterrorism agents. -
    new technologies.

We figure new stuff out every day. That's nature mans way.

An Indian-born US scientist has found a way to genetically engineer plants to make large amounts of certain vaccines.
    Something he wouldn't have to do if cures for everything were found in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcival
    Something he wouldn't have to do if cures for everything were found in nature.
    Parcival does make a point here...but...while we're on the subject of genetic engineering...CHECK THIS OUT!

Hens peck at cancer(title of blurb)

Scientists have bred the worlds first designer chickens - genetically modified to lay eggs capable of producing drugs that fight cancer and other life threatening diseases.

The Roslin Institute - the facility near Edinburgh, Scotland, that gave the world Dolly the cloned sheep - has created a flock of the potentially cancer fighting birds.

I found this blurb in the NY post and it is attributed to the Sunday Times of London.

Steve, I know this is up near your neck of the woods, do you know anything about this? I also recall that they have been doing underground (caves) experiments with tomato, tobacco, and other plants...

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    Parcival does make a point here...but...while we're on the subject of genetic engineering...CHECK THIS OUT!

Hens peck at cancer(title of blurb)

Scientists have bred the worlds first designer chickens - genetically modified to lay eggs capable of producing drugs that fight cancer and other life threatening diseases.

The Roslin Institute - the facility near Edinburgh, Scotland, that gave the world Dolly the cloned sheep - has created a flock of the potentially cancer fighting birds.

I found this blurb in the NY post and it is attributed to the Sunday Times of London.

Steve, I know this is up near your neck of the woods, do you know anything about this? I also recall that they have been doing underground (caves) experiments with tomato, tobacco, and other plants...

Yeah, "Dolly", and I personally saw her in a museum not that long ago....

What are you asking me.......?
    new technologies.

I was just curious if you knew anything about the cancer fighting chickens seeing as the experiments are in Scotland, I figured you might have heard more... :)

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    I was just curious if you knew anything about the cancer fighting chickens seeing as the experiments are in Scotland, I figured you might have heard more... :)
    Oh. :)

No.

Although, Roslin is about 10 mins in a car from me.

And the Da Vincini code is partly about the town of Roslin, as well.
    new technologies.