+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is This Madness True?

On another thread, Lord Jag was telling me that in at least some states of the US, attempted suicide is ILLEGAL????

WTF is that all about? :mad:

I am guessing, if it IS true, that it has it's origins in yet more twisted religionist influence, yes or no?

If someone is so desperate that they would want to end their life, what they need, and hey, this may be controversial, is a little help and kindness, not punative measures taken against them.

So, is it true, and in how many states?

If it is true, how do you feel about that law...?
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

TheWorker Guest

Re: Is This Madness True?

of course its true, and well it should be.

Has nothing to do with religion. I remember reading somewhere that over 50% of suicides fail, sometimes leaving the person with terrible injuries, usually disfigurement or severe liver damage.

The laws are in place, for the most part, so that the government can step in and require psychiatric treatment and/or admittance to a mental hospital. Many times, suicidal tendencies are the result of chemical imbalances that can be corrected with the right medication.

Technically, they can be prosecuted and put in prison, but that normally doesn't happen.

[QUOTE=enlightenment]On another thread, Lord Jag was telling me that in at least some states of the US, attempted suicide is ILLEGAL????

QUOTE]

Reminds me of a sick joke I heard the other day...a guy in prison in England attempted suicide, and was resuscitated by the guards. He then sued the prison authorities and won over 500,000 in compensation, because they "breached his human rights"!! What a hoot eh?

It cracks me up that does,especially as my 88 year old grandmothers pension hasnt been paid in 6 months! And they cant find any record of her paying National Insurance from 1936 to 1978! I nearly pissed my self laughing when I heard that one!!

Did April Fools day come early this year?

Dont you just love the good old UK? They always make sure the right people are looked after...

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    On another thread, Lord Jag was telling me that in at least some states of the US, attempted suicide is ILLEGAL????

WTF is that all about? :mad:
    These guys are right, Steve. It's illegal, but no one gets thrown in jail for it. Plus, if one is successful, life insurance companies won't pay the death benefits.

You seem surprised by this... is it legal in Scotland?

Physician Assisted Suicide (PAS) however, is an entirely different story.

Here's an article someone sent me a while back when we were talking about PSA. This guy has an interesting view on suicide in general:

Suicide attempts should not be illegal

Randy Woock

If we're supposed to be free to live as we will in this country, I can't imagine why we shouldn't be allowed to die as we choose. It is, as you probably know, illegal to attempt to kill yourself in this country.

Mind you, that's only to attempt to kill yourself; there's no law that deals with what to do to you if you actually succeed.

For once in the history of Western civilization, common sense has prevailed over the modern man's tendency to legislate everything under the sun. I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to haul your corpse over to the county jail after they scrape you up from the spot where you just completed the most beautiful swan dive of your entire life. Sure would feel sorry for anyone who had to share a holding cell with the remains of someone who stepped in front of a subway train.

So why then is it illegal to attempt to kill yourself? Why are we not supposed to have the option to take that one-way ticket to Nirvana Central whenever we feel like it?

Why is suicide so looked down upon in our society (unless, of course, it's done by empty-headed rock stars or manic-depressive poets)? Why do most of the major Western religions condemn it so vehemently?

Jeez, according to those chaps, killing yourself gets you sent to someplace where you burn and burn and never stop; I imagine it must be like Houston before the invention of air conditioning. I don't really think that an omnipotent god should punish you for snuffing yourself. If you did so, it's likely that the life your god gave you was sucky beyond all reckoning. You should get a refund, not eternal damnation.

I know Oregon has instituted a "physician-assisted suicide" law which I suppose is a step in the right direction. The more legal something is, the more widespread its acceptance by the population at large.

Despite the old notion that you can't legislate morality, there's a decent percentage of the population that uses legality to classify all of the moral questions not defined in detail by their holy text of choice.

But there's just something about the very idea of physician-assisted suicide that strikes me as being kinda funny.

Seriously, how difficult is it to munch a handful or three of Valium? Do you really need a doctor to shoot yourself in the head? Or maybe you want to go more peacefully; your friends don't need to have gone to med school to give you a morphine overdose, do they?

The average person's inability to do anything independently notwithstanding, your life ought to be yours to end at your own discretion.

Sure, your friends and family might beg you not to kill yourself; the suicide of a loved one is a pretty painful thing to deal with. Of course, if they really did love you, they'd stop making such selfish demands and let you do whatever it took to escape the living hell that your life has become. Right? And considering that you never asked to be born in the first place, it ought to be your call as to when it's time to exit stage left.

Now, I'm not trying to advocate suicide. Sure, the rest of us could care less if you live or die, but unless you're doing it to escape unbearable physical pain or just cutting to the chase with some terminal wasting disease, suicide's typically a bad case of taking yourself way too seriously.

Enlightenment, next time I see some one wanting to kill them self I will ask them to do it in front of your childern, I'm sure eight year olds would love to see some stranger blow his brains all over their siblings! If you have no young children, perhaps we can get him to blow his guts all over your dinner, YUM YUM!

Why should suicide be illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Why should my tax dollars scrape you off the pavment? Why should my chldren have to see your guts all over the library? Why should my tax dollars make sure you were not murdered? If I can't smoke dope, you can't kill yourself, live with it. :cool:

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    I don't know ian... the concept of illegal suicide makes no sense to me.. :confused:

Maybe you can shed some light on this question for me, though:

Someone has cancer.

There is treatment available that would cure it; but without the treatment - the cancer will spread, resulting in death.

Are they committing suicide when they refuse that treatment?

And if so, how can they have a legal right to refuse it?
    Last edited by Connecticut Victim; 01-14-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Worried_in_the_USA
    Why should my tax dollars scrape you off the pavment? Why should my chldren have to see your guts all over the library? Why should my tax dollars make sure you were not murdered? If I can't smoke dope, you can't kill yourself, live with it. :cool:
    Actually, if dope was legal I bet there would be a lot less suicide :rolleyes:

Well ...

Your tax dollars don't cover someone's guts being scraped off the pavement, unless it's public property. So, you could save us some dough by doing it in your home, or yard or your own front walk.

There was a couple on TV last year, who had made a million dollars. Their profession was cleaning up suicide/murder scenes. I saw one of their billboards in Illinois, they have an 800 number and everything.

I would think that outlawing suicide might perhaps make more attempts at it actually successful. If you go to jail for trying to kill yourself, you might make sure you do it in an area where no one will find you until your dead.

No, I think it would be better to lift the ban on suicide, that way people stick to using their garages or bathrooms, and have a higher chance of being saved or caught.

Or, you could always move to a state where it's legal. :cool:

I hate to spoil this dialogue with a dose of common sense, but could someone tell me even one state in the US in which suicide is illegal? I searched for "suicide" in the statutes of Texas and California. The word appears several times in each, but only in connection with laws against assisting suicide or medical programs to prevent suicide. I found no law against suicide. Most, if not all, states have their statutes online in searchable form.

Good call. It looks like enlightenment might have to ask Lord Jag about illegal suicide.

It was apparently illegal to attempt suicide in Washington state prior to 1976. The acronym RCW stands for "Revised Code of Washington".

RCWs > Dispositions > Title 9 > Chapter 9.80

Chapter 9.80 RCW Dispositions
    Suicide

Sections
    9.80.010 Defined.

[1909 c 249 133; RRS 2385.]
    Repealed by 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 9A.92.010, effective July 1, 1976.

9.80.020 Attempting suicide.

[1909 c 249 134; RRS 2386.]
    Repealed by 1975 1st ex.s. c 199 13; and repealed by 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 9A.92.010, effective July 1, 1976.

9.80.030 Aiding suicide.

[1909 c 249 135; Code 1881 794; 1873 p 184 19; 1869 p 201 17; 1854 p 78 17; RRS 2387.]

9.80.040 Abetting attempt at suicide.

[1909 c 249 136; RRS 2388.]

9.80.050 Incapacity of person aided no defense.

[1909 c 249 137; RRS 2389.]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker
    of course its true, and well it should be.
    Perhaps the next time you respond, you might at least care to qualify your answer a little more.

Thanks

Steve
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Perhaps the next time you respond, you might at least care to qualify your answer a little more.

Thanks

Steve
    eh, on this topic i just felt like giving my simple opinion