+ Reply to Thread

Should provide my photo ID to a work from home company that wants to hire me?

Hi:
    I’m hoping that somebody out there could offer some advice about an issue I have right now. I’m in the process of being hired by a work from home company and so far things have been going fine. However, today I received an email form them claiming that before they can hire me in order to prevent fraud and to verify that I am whom I claim to be, I need to send them a photocopy of a government issued photo ID of myself like a driver’s license or a passport. They wrote that in order to prevent identity theft I could black out everything on the ID except my name, birth date and the location where the ID was issued.
    Since I haven’t previously worked for a work from home company I’m quite weary of doing this. The company has received an A rating from the Better Business Bureau and has not had any claims made against it being a scam that I could find. But, I would like to know do most work from home companies ask for this before hiring someone? If not, for those of you with experience working form home does this sound like a scam? If I were to provide the information they requested, is it probable that my identity could be stolen? Quite simply, should I do this or is the risk too high?
    Thanks,
    amitt

Re: Should provide my photo ID to a work from home company that wants to hire me?

Quote Originally Posted by amitt View Post
    Since I havenít previously worked for a work from home company Iím quite weary of doing this. The company has received an A rating from the Better Business Bureau and has not had any claims made against it being a scam that I could find.
    While there is evidence that the company exists, what is not evident is whether or not you are emailing an employee of that company. What is the name of the person you are emailing and their email address? Were you given an office land line phone number? Or a cell phone or no phone number given? How about a street address for the headquarters? Can google map find that address?

But, I would like to know do most work from home companies ask for this before hiring someone?
    Some do, some don't, it all depends on what kind of work-at-home company is involved and what job they want you to do.

If not, for those of you with experience working form home does this sound like a scam?
    It could be, more information is needed to make an answer.

If I were to provide the information they requested, is it probable that my identity could be stolen? Quite simply, should I do this or is the risk too high?
    Thanks,
    amitt
    Even with some information blacked out, your identity could be stolen or used. Scammers love to collect scans of real IDs and passports. They then can use those scans to pretend to that person and scam more victims online. The "blacked out" part is just replaced with whatever the scammer wants. That scan of your driver's license or passport could be sold to other scammers and used for decades to scam victims online.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Re: Should provide my photo ID to a work from home company that wants to hire me?

Hi:
    Thanks for your advice. I checked the email again and it did not come from anyone specifically. So, I've deleted the email and decided not to take anything with the company since it may be a scam and since I'm prone to ID theft after what you told me. Once again, thanks for your advice, although it's disappointing that this seemed like it might be a viable thing and now probably isn't, I would rather walk away then have problems later.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Amitt

Can you share the name of the company and the email address so we can look into further before you give up?

I have worked for tons of companies online and have never needed to do that. If they are paying you by check or directly depositing funds into your bank account or something else like Paypal, all the "id verification" has already been done by those institutions.

I do not see anything wrong so long as you block all the other information. I have seen PayPal request IDs but you can not block anything.