+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: U.S. raids Iranian consulate in Iraq

Detained Iranians had ties to extremists

By LAUREN FRAYER,
    Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 42 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Five Iranians arrested in northern Iraq last week were connected to an Iranian Revolutionary Guard faction that funds and arms insurgents in Iraq, the U.S. military said Sunday.

The five were detained by U.S.-led forces Thursday in a raid on an Iranian government liaison office in Irbil, a city in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq 217 miles north of Baghdad.

"Preliminary results revealed the five detainees are connected to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, Qods Force (IRGC-QF), an organization known for providing funds, weapons, improvised explosive device technology and training to extremist groups attempting to destabilize the government of Iraq and attack coalition forces," the U.S. military said in a statement.

"Qods" is the Arabic name for Jerusalem, and a frequent name for political or military factions across the Muslim world.

Tehran denied the five detained Iranians had been involved in financing and arming insurgents in Iraq.

"Their job was basically consular, official and in the framework of regulations," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said Sunday during his weekly media briefing. "What Americans express was incorrect and hyperbole against Iran in order to justify their acts."

Hosseini said the Iranian representative office where the five men worked was established in Irbil in 1992 to facilitate the visit of Kurdish businessmen and medical patients from Iraq to Iran.

"Then, both countries agreed to promote it to consular level," he said. "Agreement for formation of the Iranian consulate section was exchanged in the current (Iranian) year."

The United States accuses Iran of helping to provide roadside bombs that have killed American troops in Iraq, and a bitter standoff already exists between the two countries over Iran's nuclear program. Iran has rejected the allegations.

Hosseini accused the United States of resorting to "hostility and conflict toward neighbors of Iraq" because he said the country did not want to acknowledge it had failed to bring stability to Iraq.

"The United States should release all the five persons, prevent possible similar acts and compensate damages," Hosseini said.

Two days after the raid, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said President Bush approved the strategy of raiding Iranian targets in Iraq as part of a broad effort to confront Tehran.

One day before the Irbil raid, Bush delivered a speech outlining a new strategy for Iraq, in which he accused Iran and Syria of not doing enough to block terrorists from entering Iraq over their borders. He specifically blamed Iran for providing material support for attacks on American troops.

"We will disrupt the attacks on our forces," Bush said Wednesday. "We will interrupt the flow of support from Iran and Syria. And we will seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies in Iraq."

The U.S. State Department has said American-led forces entered the Irbil facility because information linked it to Revolutionary Guards and other Iranian elements engaging in violent activities in Iraq.

U.S.-led troops would "continue to disrupt logistical support to extremists that originate from outside Iraq," the statement continued. "These initiatives are part of a broader plan including diplomatic efforts designed to support the Iraqi government, protect the Iraqi people, and seek assistance from neighboring nations."

There has been debate over whether the Irbil office where the men were arrested had diplomatic status, and would therefore be protected by international treaties.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, a Kurd, described it as a liaison office that had government approval and was in the process of being approved as an Iranian consulate.

But the U.S. State Department has said no legitimate diplomatic activity was being carried out at the site, and Rice said the office was not a consulate.

"The facility in which the detention took place has been described by various Iraqi officials as an Iranian liaison office, but it did not enjoy the diplomatic status of a consulate according to Iraqi and U.S. officials," the U.S. statement said.

Iran and the U.S. have had no diplomatic relations since 1979, when militants seized the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and kept 52 people hostage for 444 days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070114/...ained_iranians
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Hey Frankie boy, did you just choose to ignore post 15?

Yer a little selective, huh...?

:)
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Tell me, why are you not over there in Iraq?
    Well STEVIE, one because I live in the US, two, I'm not in the military

So now here's where you say " If you support this war why don't you join up ".......

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    Well STEVIE, one because I live in the US, two, I'm not in the military

So now here's where you say " If you support this war why don't you join up ".......
    Er, FRANKIE, when I asked why you are not over in Iraq, since you seem so proud of what is going on over there, that is what I meant, why don't you sign up for the military..?

Here's were you make up some lame excuse... ;)
    new technologies.

Fizban "The Fabulous" Guest

franKg, Would you like to be a citizen of Iraq? Hmmm!? Do you think that there could ever come a moment in life that habeas corpus could be important to you?

How do you feel about the US government’s negligence on environmental management and it’s schoolyard bully approach to foreign relations ?

Do you think the Us government's foreign policys/relations have made the world, and the United States, less safe and a worse place to live?

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Er, FRANKIE, when I asked why you are not over in Iraq, since you seem so proud of what is going on over there, that is what I meant, why don't you sign up for the military..?

Looks like what we have here STEVIE , is a failure to communicate. I never stated that I was "proud of war" or as you put it , or "proud of what is going on over there"

I said I was proud that we took down Saddam and Zarqawi , and what this country has accomplished

I don't it is possible for anyone to be "proud of war" as you put it , that doesn't even make sense
    Last edited by franKg; 01-14-2007 at 09:08 PM.

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    Looks like what we have here STEVIE , is a failure to communicate. I never stated that I was "proud of war" or as you put it , or "proud of what is going on over there"

I said I was proud that we took down Saddam and Zarqawi , and what this country has accomplished

I don't it is possible for anyone to be "proud of war" as you put it , that doesn't even make sense
    is "taking down saddamn and zarqawi" the things you think the US has accomplished??? they are the only things i seem to think they have "accomplished", although neither of them meant anything before the US caused them to mean something.

Originally posted by The Worker
    ....although neither of them meant anything before the US caused them to mean something.
    Say what ?

What exactly is that supposed to mean ?

Originally posted by Fiz the Fabulous
    franKg, Would you like to be a citizen of Iraq? Hmmm!?
    Hell no, I love the US , I'm not religious and desert life doesn't appeal to me, however I won't rule out a vacation someday

Do you think that there could ever come a moment in life that habeas corpus could be important to you?
    Nope, I'm not a terrorist and I don't have any plans to become one

How do you feel about the US government’s negligence on environmental management
    I believe George Bush is doing a good job at protecting the envoirnment, although I'm sure some of you eco-nuts dont' think so
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Geo...nvironment.htm

and it’s schoolyard bully approach to foreign relations ?
    Indonesia, Madrid,Turkey, London, Jordan, Saudi Arabia....these are all countries that have been attacked by Al-Queda since 9/11, the US isn't the bully here, its the big brother you look to for protection against the bully , namely Al-Queda

Do you think the Us government's foreign policys/relations have made the world, and the United States, less safe and a worse place to live?
    The US hasn't been attacked since 9/11 however other countries have, thats the price they must pay since they choose not to acknowledge that there is a war on terror, the US shouldn't not be responsible for world security

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment

It's simple. Frankie "Sh!t Fer Brains" is really a yellow coward... like all Neo-Con Napoleans. How many of the architects of the Flying Monkey's Fiasco in Iraq-Nam have any of their own kids over there? Answer: 0

These Monkeys sit in front of their TVs spewing the usual electromagnetic Fox "News" feel good lies and cliches 24/7 while waving their cheesy little flags made in China like it was all a stupid football game.

Iraq-Nam could actually be a good thing - if we could only force vermin like Frankie and his fellow blood thirsty Monkey Scumbags to go there. I guess we'll have to take care of the problem ourselves right here.
    Last edited by dchristie; 01-15-2007 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    It's simple. Frankie "Sh!t Fer Brains" is really a yellow coward... like all Neo-Con Napoleans. How many of the architects of the Flying Monkey's Fiasco in Iraq-Nam have any of their own kids over there? Answer: 0

These Monkeys sit in front of their TVs spewing the usual electromagnetic Fox "News" feel good lies and cliches 24/7 while waving their cheesy little flags made in China like it was all a stupid football game.

Iraq-Nam could actually be a good thing - if we could only force vermin like Frankie and his fellow blood thirsty Monkey Scumbags to go there. I guess we'll have to take care of the problem ourselves right here.
    Precisely.

Sits behind a keyboard, saying how much he supports Dubya, the War Criminal, and the actions in Iraq, yet not quite tough enough to go over there and take part.

Still, his avatar of a man with a gun, heck, maybe I am wrong, maybe he is a real tough guy, after all.

:D
    new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie

So what are you waiting for Krusty? .....oh thats right I forgot ....you need to grow a spine....until you do ...fuck off chickenshit

Anyway, Frank, never mind that, why don't you go to Iraq, and support this 'noble cause?

Bush, a man you openly support, he is looking for more fodder.

What about it...?
    new technologies.