+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black workers find a noose hanging in the warehouse where they work...

What would possess a company to do something like this? What the hell did they think would happen - especially when management is all white guys!

geez... :rolleyes:

If there was a "Dumbest Company of The Year" award, it would most certainly go this one!:

Employees find noose hanging at work

POSTED: 9:48 p.m. EST, January 5, 2007

Story Highlights
    Noose was hanging in area accessible only to white managers
    Black workers questioned white managers, got few answers
    Noose eventually removed, workers take legal action

By Allan Chernoff
    CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- James Jackson, a 26-year-old black employee of 180 Connect, was preparing for another day of installing cable, telephone and Internet service to residential customers of Cablevision in Nassau County, New York on December 7.

When he walked to the fenced-off area to pick up equipment for the day's jobs he looked up and was shocked to see a vicious, racist symbol in his workplace. A noose was hanging in the fenced-off equipment area, visible to the dozens of installers, the majority of whom are black, but accessible only to his boss and an equipment manager, both of whom are white.

Jackson, a former messenger who had worked at 180 Connect for a year and a half, immediately confronted the equipment manager, Dave Willie.

"I asked Dave," Jackson told CNN, " 'What is that hanging up there?' and he said, 'That is a noose' and I said, 'I know it's a noose, but why is it up there?' And he walked away."

Jackson and his co-workers say they were distraught.

"I just wanted to leave. I wanted to get out of there," 180 Connect employee Ralph Satterwhite told CNN. "I was disgusted."

The installers say they never complained to Human Resources. Instead, they consulted with a labor attorney, documented the incident, and decided to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Installer Shomari Houston, according to the complaint, says he asked his white boss, Gary Murdock, why a hangman's noose was in his workplace. He says the response was: To hang two black employees.

"He said, 'Yo, I like that, it's cool, I am gonna hang Russell up there. Think we can get James up there?' " Houston recalls Murdock saying. "I looked at him like, 'You serious.' "

Jackson says he continued to ask that the noose be taken down, and openly recorded the following conversation with Willie.

Jackson: "Who's that for, the rope?"

Willie: "For anybody who goes past that door that I don't want them in there."

Jackson: "Hang 'em?"

Willie: "Yeah."

Company says it has no tolerance for racism

After a week of complaints, the noose finally came down. The next day, December 14, the installers went public with their gripe, announcing their plans to file the EEOC discrimination claim.

180 Connect says it has zero tolerance for racism.

"It's inappropriate to put up any sign of violence in the workplace," said 180 Connect attorney Joel Cohen. "The company is aware that a noose could have racial connotations and could be a very negative symbol to African-American people."

"The company does not tolerate racism in the workplace and if anybody in the company engaged in wrongdoing, that will be dealt with and will be dealt with in a responsible way."

180 Connect has suspended Willie with pay, pending results of an investigation.

In a statement, Willie told CNN, "I am deeply saddened that a few of my co-workers have chosen to publicly air allegations of racism which they know to be false."

Willie's attorney, Richard Gertler, says his client's comment had no racial intent.

"He was saying it tongue in cheek. It's taken out of context," said Gertler.

Willie, Gertler stresses, is no racist. "My client's first marriage for 17 years was to an African-American woman. So I don't think he's racist."

Gary Murdock continues to oversee the warehouse at 180 Connect. Murdock did not return CNN's phone calls.

180 Connect has retained former National Labor Relations Law Judge Edwin Bennett to conduct an investigation. The installers, however, are refusing to appear before the judge without their attorney, which the company is not permitting, arguing it is not a legal proceeding.

Although the installers don't work directly for Cablevision, they also named the cable operator in their suit, saying company employees saw the noose and took no action.

Cablevision told CNN, "We are deeply troubled by the allegations about 180 Connect's workplace. We expect 180 Connect to conduct a thorough and credible investigation, to cooperate with any external investigation, and to take any appropriate actions."

180 Connect has more than 4,000 employees around the country. Among the cable television companies it provides installation services for is Time Warner Cable, a division of CNN's parent company, Time Warner. 180 Connect's operations are almost all in the United States, but the company has its corporate headquarters in Canada and trades on the Toronto stock exchange.

Re: Black workers find a noose hanging in the warehouse where they work...

maybe somone been stealin and the recent saddam event was "symbolically" used as a threat to thieves!?or some other personal gripe!?hehe!!....just askin

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    maybe somone been stealin and the recent saddam event was "symbolically" used as a threat to thieves!?or some other personal gripe!?hehe!!....just askin
    I suppose they could have been symbolizing the idea of Saddam's execution, but this happened at the warehouse before Hussien's execution took place.

But even so - a NOOSE? where black people WORK?? bad combination - don't cha think??? :eek:

Rusted is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Right in the heart of Yankee-land. More butter on my grits please......

thats because the shadow side of america is intollerance and racism...
    but your not the only country to suffer from this every other country has a shadow or dark side as well, racism seems to be a natural occurring theme with humans only it changes slightly with each nation..

Same thing happened down here in Jacksonville a while ago. It happened in a Firehouse! Some black firefighters found the noose.

TheWorker Guest

i dont see the connection bewteen racism and the noose here in this article...

sounds like more BS americans trying to sue anyone they can...

Rusted is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Big connection. Lynchings used to be pretty common in the South after Reconstruction and continued up into the early to mid 1960s. Dreadful but true bit of history.

What gets me is what hypocrites Yankees can be for calling Southerners unenlightened, when they themselves have been showing a rather narrow point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker
    i dont see the connection bewteen racism and the noose here in this article...
    You're kidding, right Worker? :confused:

Given the history that Rusted has pointed out, if you're not kidding, can you please explain why you see no connection?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown Hunter
    Same thing happened down here in Jacksonville a while ago. It happened in a Firehouse! Some black firefighters found the noose.
    I don't remember hearing about this CH.. do you recall what ended up happening?

TheWorker Guest

i stand by what i said because of what is in the article. there is no connection. this quote shows its...

"The company is aware that a noose could have racial connotations and could be a very negative symbol to African-American people."

COULD HAVE and COULD BE are not good enough in my mind.

i understand there were tons of racial lynchings, but why does that automatically mean
    the point of the noose was to intimidate the black workers??

while i say these things, i fully realize that could very well have been the whole point of the noose, but BASED ON THE ARTICLE ALONE, i just dont see enough in it to make that decision.

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted
    Big connection. Lynchings used to be pretty common in the South after Reconstruction and continued up into the early to mid 1960s. Dreadful but true bit of history.

What gets me is what hypocrites Yankees can be for calling Southerners unenlightened, when they themselves have been showing a rather narrow point of view.
    narrow point of view??? this is a one page article that paints a VERY small picture of this situation. i already said this could be exactly the racist stuff you claim, it could also not be that at all and this article sure doesnt prove the case of racism

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    I don't remember hearing about this CH.. do you recall what ended up happening?

Nothing really happened. A investigation, some polygraph tests.

A search for the truth in the investigation of nooses found at a downtown fire station puts lie-detector tests in the spotlight.

In February, two nooses were found on the equipment of two black firefighters at Fire Station 4. The incident resulted in a lengthy investigation being launched.

On Monday, one of the firefighters who police said did not pass his polygraph test regarding the incident spoke out.

Last month, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Lt. Matt Cipriani had deceptive results on two polygraph tests.

Cipriani said the reason he wanted to talk about the incident was so that people could see him explain why he took a third lie-detector test on his own.

He said he was upset because the sheriff's office said he failed two lie-detector tests when he was asked about nooses being found on the equipment of two black firefighters.

"I have been fully cooperative. I do not have direct or indirect involvement in this incident. I do not know of anyone who does. I have provided all the information I can to JSO and I will continue to do so until this person is caught," Cipriani said.

He said he was telling the truth, and that was why he paid an Orlando firm and had them give him the third polygraph test.

Channel 4 was given a copy of the questions and results. In the test, Cipriani was asked: Were you in the coatroom when the nooses were put on the bunker? Did you have or ever have the nooses in your hands? Did you knowingly provide any false, misleading or incorrect information?

Cipriani answered no to all of the questions.

"I have not sought legal representation. I want this person or persons caught just as much as anybody else," Cipriani said.

The examiner report said there is no indication of deception, and that there was no reaction that indicated he was lying.

Cipriani was the second firefighter to talk about the polygraph tests. Rufus Smith, one of the firefighters whose equipment a noose was found on, also failed the test. He said he didn't do it.

A third firefighter, Roderick Laws, who found the nooses, did not take the test and has not said anything since the lie-detector results were released.

Cipriani still works at Fire station 4, and said he is ready to move on.

"I ran the gamut of emotion. It has been a tough time from the onset of the incident through the investigation and going through that," Cipriani said.

About two weeks ago, the sheriff's office said it had a tip in the noose investigation case. However, on Monday JSO said the case is closed.

Previous Stories:

* December 4, 2006: Police Release Details, Reopen Noose Case
    * November 30, 2006: Black Firefighters: Noose Incident Part Of 'Persistent' Problem
    * November 29, 2006: Firefighter Says He Cooperated 110 Percent In Noose Investigation
    * November 28, 2006: Police Close Case On Firehouse Nooses
    * November 27, 2006: Fed's JFRD Investigation Results Disappoint Mayor
    * November 27, 2006: Firefighters Postpone Reward In Noose Incident
    * November 22, 2006: Firefighter Discusses Noose Incident, Fed's Decision Not To Prosecute
    * November 22, 2006: Feds: Investigation Of Firehouse Nooses Inconclusive
    * November 15, 2006: Mayor Responds To JFRD Task Force Findings
    * September 18, 2006: Duval Grand Jury Won't Investigate JFRD
    * August 8, 2006: Human Rights Panel: Mayor Might Need To Replace Fire Chief, Top Staff
    * February 21, 2006: Another Black Firefighter Tells Of Noose
    * February 20, 2006: Fire Chief: Those Who Put Nooses In Firehouse Will Be Terminated
    * February 17, 2006: Nooses Found At Downtown Fire Station
    link

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clown Hunter
    Nothing really happened. A investigation, some polygraph tests.

A search for the truth in the investigation of nooses found at a downtown fire station puts lie-detector tests in the spotlight.

In February, two nooses were found on the equipment of two black firefighters at Fire Station 4. The incident resulted in a lengthy investigation being launched.

On Monday, one of the firefighters who police said did not pass his polygraph test regarding the incident spoke out.

Last month, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Lt. Matt Cipriani had deceptive results on two polygraph tests.

Cipriani said the reason he wanted to talk about the incident was so that people could see him explain why he took a third lie-detector test on his own.

He said he was upset because the sheriff's office said he failed two lie-detector tests when he was asked about nooses being found on the equipment of two black firefighters.

"I have been fully cooperative. I do not have direct or indirect involvement in this incident. I do not know of anyone who does. I have provided all the information I can to JSO and I will continue to do so until this person is caught," Cipriani said.

He said he was telling the truth, and that was why he paid an Orlando firm and had them give him the third polygraph test.

Channel 4 was given a copy of the questions and results. In the test, Cipriani was asked: Were you in the coatroom when the nooses were put on the bunker? Did you have or ever have the nooses in your hands? Did you knowingly provide any false, misleading or incorrect information?

Cipriani answered no to all of the questions.

"I have not sought legal representation. I want this person or persons caught just as much as anybody else," Cipriani said.

The examiner report said there is no indication of deception, and that there was no reaction that indicated he was lying.

Cipriani was the second firefighter to talk about the polygraph tests. Rufus Smith, one of the firefighters whose equipment a noose was found on, also failed the test. He said he didn't do it.

A third firefighter, Roderick Laws, who found the nooses, did not take the test and has not said anything since the lie-detector results were released.

Cipriani still works at Fire station 4, and said he is ready to move on.

"I ran the gamut of emotion. It has been a tough time from the onset of the incident through the investigation and going through that," Cipriani said.

About two weeks ago, the sheriff's office said it had a tip in the noose investigation case. However, on Monday JSO said the case is closed.

Previous Stories:

* December 4, 2006: Police Release Details, Reopen Noose Case
    * November 30, 2006: Black Firefighters: Noose Incident Part Of 'Persistent' Problem
    * November 29, 2006: Firefighter Says He Cooperated 110 Percent In Noose Investigation
    * November 28, 2006: Police Close Case On Firehouse Nooses
    * November 27, 2006: Fed's JFRD Investigation Results Disappoint Mayor
    * November 27, 2006: Firefighters Postpone Reward In Noose Incident
    * November 22, 2006: Firefighter Discusses Noose Incident, Fed's Decision Not To Prosecute
    * November 22, 2006: Feds: Investigation Of Firehouse Nooses Inconclusive
    * November 15, 2006: Mayor Responds To JFRD Task Force Findings
    * September 18, 2006: Duval Grand Jury Won't Investigate JFRD
    * August 8, 2006: Human Rights Panel: Mayor Might Need To Replace Fire Chief, Top Staff
    * February 21, 2006: Another Black Firefighter Tells Of Noose
    * February 20, 2006: Fire Chief: Those Who Put Nooses In Firehouse Will Be Terminated
    * February 17, 2006: Nooses Found At Downtown Fire Station
    link

very interesting...i never knew nooses being laid out in areas black people are was a "thing" in the south.

i guess this makes the case for racism stronger in the original article, but based on the article itself i still maintain it lacks in evidence.

This just goes back to like my first time here on the thread about the Kramer situation. I had a back and fourth argument with two memebers about how i was rascist because i felt that their are people in the world (white people) who are this rascist and want slavory back. This just goes to show that I was right. I still dont hate white people for this incident either I just know that their are ignorant people still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker
    i stand by what i said because of what is in the article. there is no connection. this quote shows its...

"The company is aware that a noose could have racial connotations and could be a very negative symbol to African-American people."

COULD HAVE and COULD BE are not good enough in my mind.

i understand there were tons of racial lynchings, but why does that automatically mean
    the point of the noose was to intimidate the black workers??

while i say these things, i fully realize that could very well have been the whole point of the noose, but BASED ON THE ARTICLE ALONE, i just dont see enough in it to make that decision.
    Okay, thanks for explaining.

Do you any ideas on what OTHER possible reason there could be for having a noose hanging in a warehouse? I would really like for there to be one!