+ Reply to Thread

Remember Jesus' Suffering- Rosary and Stations of Cross

Remembering Jesus' Suffering- The Rosary and the Stations of the Cross

The Rosary serves to bring to memory the major turning points of Jesus' life.

Arguably it is a good tool for teaching Christian basics to new converts or children. But others may find they benefit too.

For, as each decade ( ten ) is spoken, one is to keep in mind a specific corresponding Mystery.
    It is suggested that one Mystery grouping be brought to remembrance each day.

There is a series of Four Groupings of ' Mysteries ', or categories of events as highlights in Jesus' life or ministry, each grouping consisting of Five highlights-

An outline :

The " Joyful Mysteries " serve to remind us of :

1- The Annunciation- The Virgin Mary to give Birth after Miraculous Conception;

2- The Visitation- John in utero leaps as his mother Elizabeth hears Mary's greeting, thus bearing Witness so very early;

3- The Nativity- Jesus the Prophesied King is Born to Mary in humble circumstances;

4- The Presentation- Jesus is brought to the Temple to the Priests on the Eighth Day from His Birth, at which time He would be Circumcised, considered officially not only a human being surviving birth into the world, but recognized as part of the Israelite Community and to be raised in their Culture;

5- The Finding of Young Jesus in the Temple- youthful Jesus ' was about His Father's Business ', discussing with the Temple Priests, and was seemingly doing more Teaching than being taught !

The " Sorrowful Mysteries " serve to remind us of :

1- The Agony in the Garden- Jesus' Passion began as emotional/ psychological suffering and great inner turmoil facing inevitable impending Torture and Death;

2- The Scourging- Jesus was ' set at naught '- made as nothing- scourging was so devastatingly damaging that one was effectively the walking dead- there was no going back or getting healed or recovering- as if a pride of Wild Lions had scratched- off ones skin- those detractors who claim that Jesus cleverly ' survived ' the Crucifixion themselves cleverly sidestep His terrible Scourging- the sentence was already said and done at that point, in effect;

3- The Crowning with Thorns- mockingly ' acknowledging ' Jesus as a ' king ', soldiers even prostrated before Him mocking Him- truly Jesus exhibited characteristics the very opposite to most human kings- Jesus had a way of exposing the highest echelons of Roman and Jewish Society, the Richest and most Powerful, the most ' accomplished ' people, for the kind of people they really were;

4- Carrying the Cross- a heavy wooden burden, especially in His weakened physical state- yet the soldiers insisted He carry it himself- until He stumbled- He needed help carrying, even then stumbling under the weight;

5- The Crucifixion- unhappily it is death by slow agonizing torture, as well as being openly public to drive home the shame- the intention is to prove the utter domination of the Authorities unto every aspect of Life and Death, even to the very last moment of life- a grim reminder to the populace of the utter controlling Power over Human Bodies and Human Minds- Roman Power would not ever be seen to flinch at dealing with ANY form of resistance or opposition- not even the imagined or implied, as in Jesus' case; ROME was the ' Highest Power '- PERIOD. And THAT by Tyranny and Terror.

The " Glorious Mysteries " serve to remind us of :

1- The Resurrection- Jesus even had Power over DEATH Itself.....;

2- The Ascension- His Kingdom was not of this World;

3- The Descent of the Holy Spirit- Jesus would leave behind on Earth His Representatives whom he would Naturally and Supernaturally Empower to bear Witness to the events being described, the Knowledge and Meaning of which preserved for all Time by and through THE CHURCH;

4- Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven;

5- Crowning of Blessed Virgin Mary as Queen of Heaven- the picture in Rev. 12 seems to imply something.

The " Luminous Mysteries " serve to remind us of :

1- The Baptism of Christ in the Waters of the Jordan- Jesus is Openly Born Witness To and Confirmed by these Three- John the Baptizer and the Holy Spirit and the Voice of GOD;

2- The Wedding Feast at Cana- First Public Miracle ! -The Transubstantiation of Water Into Wine.....setting in motion the inexhorable series of Life Events culminating in the REAL Fellowship with THE KING AT THE WEDDING FEAST.....His ' time was not yet ', but His public Ministry was irrevocably set in motion HERE, at the Behest of His Dear Mother.....She who Gave Birth to Him exhorted the people- ' Do whatever He tells you '- Mary is pictured thus thrusting forward Jesus her Son;

3- The Announcement of the Kingdom- Jesus responds faithfully by publicly Proclaiming the Good News of a different kind of Kingdom, having a very different sort of King;

4- The Transfiguration- Jesus' True Identity discreetly yet explicitly Revealed to Peter and James and John, as born witness to by they three Disciples present, as well as by Moses and Elijah and even by the Voice of GOD, once again;

5- The Eucharist Presented- the Bread and the Wine- His Body and Blood.

The Joyful and the Sorrowful and the Glorious Mysteries are centuries old in practice, but the Luminous Mysteries are recent introductions during the 1980's by Pope John Paul II.

The 14 Stations of the Cross

This is already long so I will just list these without comment.

I visit the Pro- Life Shrine in east Toledo, on Coy Rd. near Starr Ave.
    There they have a big grounds with a Chapel and a walkway for the Stations of the Cross, each Station having a modest wood carving display in frame-

I- Jesus Is Condemned to Death
    II- Jesus Carries His Cross
    III- Jesus Falls the First Time
    IV- Jesus Meets His Afflicted Mother
    V- Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus to Carry His Cross
    VI- Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
    VII- Jesus Falls the Second Time
    VIII- Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem
    IX- Jesus Falls a Third Time
    X- Jesus Is Stripped of His Clothes
    XI- Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross
    XII- Jesus Dies On the Cross
    XIII- The Body of Jesus Is Taken Down From the Cross
    XIV- Jesus Is Laid In the Tomb

The Resurrection of Jesus.....

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Re: Remember Jesus' Suffering- Rosary and Stations of Cross

I- Jesus Is Condemned to Death
    II- Jesus Carries His Cross
    III- Jesus Falls the First Time
    IV- Jesus Meets His Afflicted Mother
    V- Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus to Carry His Cross
    VI- Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
    VII- Jesus Falls the Second Time
    VIII- Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem
    IX- Jesus Falls a Third Time
    X- Jesus Is Stripped of His Clothes
    XI- Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross
    XII- Jesus Dies On the Cross
    XIII- The Body of Jesus Is Taken Down From the Cross
    XIV- Jesus Is Laid In the Tomb

The Resurrection of Jesus.....
    Nailed it!
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours View Post
    Nailed it!
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHâ„¢

That comment made me quite cross! :zx11pissed:

Why? It's depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabaloo View Post
    Why? It's depressing.
    AHA, the only 2 choices like in 1 or 0 as to on or off!? although i really dont know the ORIGIN of 'CROSS' with say ANGER/OUTRAGE!? google is my FRIEND AGAIN!? ::madgo::
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you