+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Prejudice

Dog Prejudice

Please watch this, the stats are factual, and imo, it is a political issue, because the breed concerned are getting a lot of wrong and negative press, it seems that people are more interested in tabloid type rhetoric than fact.

Watch and comment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwaHMzgrKk
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Re: Dog Prejudice

I spent hundreds trying to save my last dog beau after the vet said it was money down the drain and we should give him a shot and put him out of his misery. We eased his pain, very costly, as best we could and he died on his own a couple weeks later. No euthanasia in my home. We're all just worm food eventually so make this go around last as long as possible. No animal deserves less than what we'd prescribe for a family member. Pit, Rotweiler, doberman, or lab.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "bad dog"...

ONLY BAD OWNERS... :rolleyes:

If you're not willing to put the time and effort into training, loving and caring for a dog, DON'T get one.

EVERYBODY LOVES a puppy. But when it grows into a DOG, some don't want to be bothered with it anymore. They're mean to it and neglect it, then stand back and act shocked when it bites somebody... :confused: dumbasses

And then there are those who INTENTIONALLY train their dog to be viscious - involving them in illegal gambling dog fights to the death - these people are the WORST - :mad:

We have a 10 year old English Setter named Axel. This dog is like a child to me! He became ill last year - an ultasound showed a mass on his spleen. Our vet (a FABULOUS guy!) said there was a 80% chance it was cancer. It was horrible - just thinking about it makes me shudder...

We discussed putting him down - I would NEVER be selfish and let him suffer. But surgery was also presented as an option, but even with it, there was little chance of survival beyond 3-6 months afterwards.

We would not have questioned medical attention for one of kids! - Axel was no different. There was no hesitation on our part... the cost of the surgery, with hospital and meds was just shy of $4,800, but whatever! I couldn't live with "not knowing" if he had cancer - we had to get to the mass and find out.

Turned out it was benign! I'll never forget the phone call from our vet - he was giddy with excitement, but in total shock!! I couldn't believe it... They removed his spleen - he healed very quickly - and had been fine ever since.

I am sooooo in love with this dog, it's ridiculous! I feed him off a fork; we watch TV; we play games; he sleeps with me; we "talk" (he makes these noises like he's trying to tell me something!) - people think I'm crazy... :eek: LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    There is NO SUCH THING as a "bad dog"...

ONLY BAD OWNERS... :rolleyes:

If you're not willing to put the time and effort into training, loving and caring for a dog, DON'T get one.

EVERYBODY LOVES a puppy. But when it grows into a DOG, some don't want to be bothered with it anymore. They're mean to it and neglect it, then stand back and act shocked when it bites somebody... :confused: dumbasses

And then there are those who INTENTIONALLY train their dog to be viscious - involving them in illegal gambling dog fights to the death - these people are the WORST - :mad:

We have a 10 year old English Setter named Axel. This dog is like a child to me! He became ill last year - an ultasound showed a mass on his spleen. Our vet (a FABULOUS guy!) said there was a 80% chance it was cancer. It was horrible - just thinking about it makes me shudder...

We discussed putting him down - I would NEVER be selfish and let him suffer. But surgery was also presented as an option, but even with it, there was little chance of survival beyond 3-6 months afterwards.

We would not have questioned medical attention for one of kids! - Axel was no different. There was no hesitation on our part... the cost of the surgery, with hospital and meds was just shy of $4,800, but whatever! I couldn't live with "not knowing" if he had cancer - we had to get to the mass and find out.

Turned out it was benign! I'll never forget the phone call from our vet - he was giddy with excitement, but in total shock!! I couldn't believe it... They removed his spleen - he healed very quickly - and had been fine ever since.

I am sooooo in love with this dog, it's ridiculous! I feed him off a fork; we watch TV; we play games; he sleeps with me; we "talk" (he makes these noises like he's trying to tell me something!) - people think I'm crazy... :eek: LOL

CV, it was this thread on my forum that stated the latest "Who or what can we demonise now" campaign....

http://groups.msn.com/Enlightenment-...Type=0&CDir=-1
    new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    CV, it was this thread on my forum that stated the latest "Who or what can we demonise now" campaign....

http://groups.msn.com/Enlightenment-...Type=0&CDir=-1
    Hi Steve,

I just signed up as lets-chat! can you approve me, please.. :D

Hi Steve,

I just signed up as lets-chat! can you approve me, please.. :D

Done.

Tried to reply to you personally on the hotmail addy, alas, it bounced back, however, I have approved you anyway.

Steve
    new technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Done.

Tried to reply to you personally on the hotmail addy, alas, it bounced back, however, I have approved you anyway.

Steve
    hmmm.. wonder what's up with that?! no matter - you know how to reach me anyway. :)

Thanks for taking care of it... See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I spent hundreds trying to save my last dog beau after the vet said it was money down the drain and we should give him a shot and put him out of his misery. We eased his pain, very costly, as best we could and he died on his own a couple weeks later. No euthanasia in my home. We're all just worm food eventually so make this go around last as long as possible. No animal deserves less than what we'd prescribe for a family member. Pit, Rotweiler, doberman, or lab.
    I'm sorry to hear your story, bogie.

Here's mine which I posted a couple of months ago under "Chat Here" - Canine and Feline Cancer thread:

My beautiful Wheaton Terrier is almost 15 years old and she is as playful as a puppy.

The summer before last she got Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick. She almost died. At that point, after 12 plus years of my insisting she be chemical free, I decided to take my vet's advice and put her on Frontline Tick and Flea Control. It's applied to the back of the neck once a month. I take her in every two months for MRI's and body scans to make sure there are no changes in her overall body.

Oh, she's now tick and flea free. But she's recently lost a lot of weight. Although she's still my playful little puppy, they diagnosed that she has an inoperable tumor of the thyroid that has quickly spread to into the carotid artery and my girl has a few weeks to live.

Surgery is out because of location, radiation is out because she'd have to have it every day tor 3 weeks and would undergo anesthesia each time.
    At her age, and because she has age-related heart issues, she most likely would not survive that extended amount of anesthesia.

I opted for chemotherapy. This may or may not extend her life by 2 to 6 months.

As long as the quality of her life remains happy for her, I will do anything possible to avoid that awful day that is soon to come.

By the way, the oncologist told me that had it not been for the tumor, my dog is perfectly healthy and could possibly have lived to be 23 - just like his did!

I know he meant well and tried to make me feel better, but that just convinced me all the more that chemicals kill more than ticks and fleas and I made an unfortunate choice for my sweet Taggy.

Update: Taggy's still with us, feeling fine and has has been undergoing chemo. Last week the oncologist found that the tumor has not grown.

I'm hopeful that she'll be with us for a few more months and that during that time she'll be content and painfree.
    Last edited by HotParadox; 01-03-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotParadox

Here's mine which I posted a couple of months ago under "Chat Here" - Canine and Feline Cancer thread:

My beautiful Wheaton Terrier is almost 15 years old and she is as playful as a puppy.

The summer before last she got Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick. She almost died. At that point, after 12 plus years of my insisting she be chemical free, I decided to take my vet's advice and put her on Frontline Tick and Flea Control. It's applied to the back of the neck once a month. I take her in every two months for MRI's and body scans to make sure there are no changes in her overall body.

Oh, she's now tick and flea free. But she's recently lost a lot of weight. Although she's still my playful little puppy, they diagnosed that she has an inoperable tumor of the thyroid that has quickly spread to into the carotid artery and my girl has a few weeks to live.

Surgery is out because of location, radiation is out because she'd have to have it every day tor 3 weeks and would undergo anesthesia each time.
    At her age, and because she has age-related heart issues, she most likely would not survive that extended amount of anesthesia.

As long as the quality of her life remains happy for her, I will do anything possible to avoid that awful day that is soon to come.

By the way, the oncologist told me that had it not been for the tumor, my dog is perfectly healthy and could possibly have lived to be 23 - just like his did!

I know he meant well and tried to make me feel better, but that just convinced me all the more that chemicals kill more than ticks and fleas and I made an unfortunate choice for my sweet Taggy.

Update: Taggy's still with us, feeling fine and has has been undergoing chemo. Last week the oncologist found that the tumor has not grown.

I'm hopeful that she'll be with us for a few more months and that during that time she'll be content and painfree.
    You're great dog mommy HP.

Hi HP,

It's amazing how attached we become to these four-legged kids, isn't it?

It's wonderful to hear that Taggy is doing well. Adorable name, btw! How did you come up with it? I get a kick out of knowing how people come up with their pets' name. :)

Please keep us posted about how Taggy's doing... she's lucky to have you as her mom - she really feels your love and she knows you're taking care of her - you believe that, right? ;)

Hi HP,

It's amazing how attached we become to these four-legged kids, isn't it?

It's wonderful to hear that Taggy is doing well. Adorable name, btw! How did you come up with it? I get a kick out of knowing how people come up with their pets' name. :)

Please keep us posted about how Taggy's doing... she's lucky to have you as her mom - she really feels your love and she knows you're taking care of her - you believe that, right? ;)
    Thanks, CV. I really do think she knows and understands. They're pretty amazing, right?

The name, well, when I was little we had a male dog named Tag. My mum said there used to be a commercial for "Buster Brown Shoes" and the kid "Buster" would sing, "My dog Tag-gy likes to tag-a-long wiith me..."so she named him Tag. He lived to be 20! When we got Taggy almost 15 years ago, I was brought back to a wonderful time in my life when Tag was my all.

I wanted my kids to have their own Tag. Being a female, we named her Taggy, Taggy Rose, actually. We have a great, big, fat cat whom we love, too. His name is Andrew Phillip. We call him Andy!!! They are perfect!

When I come home every day, the kids are like "Ummm, Hi Mum, ummm...ya, whatever...". Taggy and Andy, if they could talk, would be like, "Yeahhhh, she's home, yeahhh!!"

Love them to bits and pieces. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    You're great dog mommy HP.
    XOXOXOXO :)

as per usual/lately,....another "hotel california" thread.........hehe!!....just askin..

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    as per usual/lately,....another "hotel california" thread.........hehe!!....just askin..
    Lexx, go to bed. It's late.

Oh, I know how hard all this is on you. It just rips your heart out and
    fur children ARE part of the family!.
    Im glad Taggys feeling good and the tumor is stopped.
    Dont feel like you did anything wrong by using the Frontline...you made a
    decision in Taggys best interest using the information given you by a professional! Thats all we can do.
    ((hugs)) for Taggy. :)

You all sound like "dawg people" but heres a link to a memorial page of a
    dear, brave little cat. She was a treasure and I was lucky to have had her
    in my life.

http://home.comcast.net/~brightlyd/