+ Reply to Thread

How to copyright protect your intellectual property for free

I am a professional writer with numerous film scripts currently in the pipeline. Until now, I have only dealt with friends on short films and smaller projects where handshake deals have sufficed. However, I am being approached by bigger fish, some of whom have reputations for taking people's ideas without paying them. The problem is, they also GET FILMS MADE, so it's either them or nobody else at this point.

Are there any sure-fire ways to copyright protect your intellectual property without paying an entertainment industry lawyer astronomical fees to do so?

Re: How to copyright protect your intellectual property for free

I've always understood that the simplest way to do so is to box or package up your materials and mail it to yourself. Save the date stamped envelope or box. This way, if someone comes along and tries to claim it for their own, you would have time proof....but I'm no lawyer. :spin2:

Self-mailing has been referred to as the “poor man’s copyright.” Essentially, this entails the author placing the work in an envelope, mailing it to himself/herself via registered mail, saving it upon receipt and not opening it. The reasoning behind this is the unopened envelope, which is post dated, can be used as evidence in a court proceeding to provide verification as to the date of existence of the work. The poor man’s copyright provides no more protection than the unregistered copyright. Thus, the work should be registered with the U.S. Copyright Office.

source:
    https://www.msba.org/departments/com...creenplays.asp

another link

http://www.helium.com/items/326436-h...-script?page=2
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

There ya have it, folks!