+ Reply to Thread

Dark Shadows - worst Johnny Depp Tim Burton collaboration ever?

I thought Willy Wonka would be hard to beat as far as lazy, color-by-numbers film-making goes, but Dark Shadows takes the phone-it-in cake!

Which is sad, really, because the source material is actually pretty rich and interesting. Dark Shadows was originally a Gothic daily soap opera featuring all sorts of dark, evil, occult story-lines - truly bizarre stuff that you would have a very hard time getting past the number crunchers and marketing yahoos nowadays without them shrieking "Who the HELL do you think is gonna WATCH this insane crap?!"

Which, again, is sad, really, because the show also happened to be a really big ratings hit.

This movie, by contrast, is safe as mother's milk.

Oh well. Depp and Burton may just get it right next time... and we all know that there's definitely going to be a next time.

Re: Dark Shadows - worst Johnny Depp Tim Burton collaboration ever?

This movie I walked out of. I got my money back after 20 minutes

3. 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM

Good on you.

I would have done the same only (ahem) I illegally downloaded and watched it from home.

Now excuse me while I go wipe out my online history from every computer I ever touched.

YOPJ

I liked this movie, only because of Johnny Depp since I am a big fan of him! I thought it was good, plus I love vampire films so this was great! Please don't bash Johnny Depp though if you didn't like the film, perhaps instead blame the writers. I thought Depp did a great job in the film, very good actor as far as I am concerned. y_on_tredmil:

I used to say that Johnny Depp was the best actor ever. He has so many awesome movies and so many remarkable characters but something happened to him after Pirates of the Caribbean because after that movie every single character he has done feels the same.

As for Tim Burton the story goes the same, now every of his movies is something like this: weird stuff + Johnny Depp + Helena Bonham Carter.

Having said that I must admit that I somehow liked Dark Shadows, but it wasn't because of Depp's performance but because of the music selection of the movie. I really liked all the 70's rock there and having Alice Cooper on the movie was a great surprise for me.

I think the last great Burton movie is Big Fish. Maybe it's because Johnny Depp wasn't on that one.

I actually went and saw this twice. I really enjoyed it, but to enjoy it fully you have to understand where is comes from. There were a lot of little jokes dealing with the fact that this used to be a soap opera in the 70s.

I will say this. I thought Secret Window was way worse Johnny Depp movie. It was a Steven King /book/movie and wow that was more painful than Dark Shadows.:judges:

The visuals; direction, costume, make-up, set etc are second to none and as great as you'd expect from Tim Burton, everything else is underwhelming. Tim Burton used to be a name you could depend on but he now has more disappointing films in his portfolio than he has great ones. It's not all bad, there are a few really nice scenes but I just expected more, although I'm not so sure why anymore.