+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heaven's Gate

Heaven's Gate

Remember Heaven's Gate?

Weren't they the folks who thought that a space ship was travelling behind the Haley's comit and that they were to transcend once their earthly bodies were dead to be with the aliens?

What evidence is there to support the idea that they did not succeed in transcendence?

Re: Heaven's Gate

1997 comet Hale-Bopp

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
    1997 comet Hale-Bopp
    There it is.

Did they go to a place that's the best....or die like the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    There it is.

Did they go to a place that's the best....or die like the rest?
    I'm pretty sure it was the latter.

"The members took phenobarbital mixed with pineapple, washed down with vodka. Additionally, they secured plastic bags around their heads after ingesting the mix to induce asphyxiation. Authorities found the dead lying neatly in their own bunk beds, faces and torsos covered by a square, purple cloth. Each member carried a five-dollar bill and three quarters in their pockets. All 39 were dressed in identical black shirts and sweat pants, brand new black-and-white Nike Decades athletic shoes, and armband patches reading "Heaven's Gate Away Team" (one of many instances of the group's use of the Star Trek fictional universe's nomenclature). The adherents, between the ages of 26 and 72, are believed to have died in three groups over three successive days, with remaining participants cleaning up after each prior group's deaths. Fifteen members died on March 24, fifteen more on March 25, and nine on March 26. Leader Applewhite was the third to last member to die; two women remained after him and were the only ones found without bags over their heads. Among the dead was Thomas Nichols, brother of the actress Nichelle Nichols, who is best known for her role as Uhura in the original Star Trek television series."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven%..._and_aftermath

An interesting argument that Christians use to validate their argument for the bible is that the folks who were tortured and persecuted would not have gone through all that if it hadn't been real or verified to them as eye witnesses....

Seems that the Heaven's Gate mass suicide event is evidence to the contrary.

People will do a lot for their beliefs, whether verified or not.

"The members took phenobarbital mixed with pineapple, washed down with vodka. Additionally, they secured plastic bags around their heads after ingesting the mix to induce asphyxiation. Authorities found the dead lying neatly in their own bunk beds, faces and torsos covered by a square, purple cloth. Each member carried a five-dollar bill and three quarters in their pockets. All 39 were dressed in identical black shirts and sweat pants, brand new black-and-white Nike Decades athletic shoes, and armband patches reading "Heaven's Gate Away Team" (one of many instances of the group's use of the Star Trek fictional universe's nomenclature). The adherents, between the ages of 26 and 72, are believed to have died in three groups over three successive days, with remaining participants cleaning up after each prior group's deaths. Fifteen members died on March 24, fifteen more on March 25, and nine on March 26. Leader Applewhite was the third to last member to die; two women remained after him and were the only ones found without bags over their heads. Among the dead was Thomas Nichols, brother of the actress Nichelle Nichols, who is best known for her role as Uhura in the original Star Trek television series."

These folks have too much invested in them NOT to protect them, if only from their own bias.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Yes they will.

Remember Heaven's Gate?

Weren't they the folks who thought that a space ship was travelling behind the Haley's comit and that they were to transcend once their earthly bodies were dead to be with the aliens?

What evidence is there to support the idea that they did not succeed in transcendence?
    As a "Bibleman" you make several errors. Are you aware of them?

For one, the Scriptures NOWHERE teach that Heaven is the reward of the saved. He Himself taught us that "NO man has ascended into Heaven EXCEPT the Son of Man who came down from Heaven." He also told us "David has NOT ascended into Heaven, but that he remains dead and buried." There's more, but I already know what spirit you're of, so you're on your own. Unlike the Atheist, I have no desire to proselytize to win new converts to my FAITH.

Second, the disciples were SCATTERED. Their Master was killed and they SCATTERED. Peter went back to his fishing business and had no intention of following in the Master's footsteps. He had other plans. They certainly weren't part of a conspiracy to convert the world like the Atheists of today.

BTW, What's a Comit? I guess I just made a Comit!
    Last edited by jason zod; 11-25-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jason zod View Post
    As a "jason zod" you are very presumptuous.

For one, the Scriptures NOWHERE teach that Heaven is the reward of the saved. He Himself taught us that "NO man has ascended into Heaven EXCEPT the Son of Man who came down from Heaven." He also told us "David has NOT ascended into Heaven, but that he remains dead and buried." There's more, but I already know what spirit you're of, so you're on your own. Unlike the Atheist, I have no desire to proselytize to win new converts to my FAITH.

Second, the disciples were SCATTERED. Their Master was killed and they SCATTERED. Peter went back to his fishing business and had no intention of following in the Master's footsteps. He had other plans. They certainly weren't part of a conspiracy to convert the world like the Atheists of today.
    The point was that Christians being willing to die for their beliefs, or suffer strong persecution is no different from others' beliefs and what they're willing to do for them...

Did that really just happen? Did you really not get that?

I see we have the grammar police visiting the religious section today! Woohoo!

:tool44: <---Yep, that's you, Carl.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

...and it's a shame they didn't take more of their like-minded friends with them.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

ok when i first read the title i thought it was about the MOVIE of same name!? then when i read the post i thought, maybe THOSE people had seen A movie similar to their MYTHOLOGY called LIFE FORCE!? made in england i beleive!? : :errr: :judges:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

actually i was thinking about this heaven issue just now and it occurred to me that in death/sleep there is NO sense of TIME!? so while the living can claim logically the dead are NOT yet in heaven they can also say like a PROPHET they are already there!? but POOR CARL has that nagging a place for everthing fits like a glove attitude!? it's an EXACT science you know............:judges: ::spin2: :smurf:
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you