+ Reply to Thread

Religion's Design

Is it meant to be a way for man to touch the heart of God?
    What is it about us humans that we must always seek that which is outside ourselves and "spiritualize" it?

Why can't we keep things simple? I think therefore I am. What I can see, is so.....what I cannot see, I will eventually...without a God of the gaps?

Re: Religion's Design

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman View Post
    Is it meant to be a way for man to touch the heart of God?
    No. At least not in the sense most people conclude.
    What is it about us humans that we must always seek that which is outside ourselves and "spiritualize" it?
    I was studying the history of the geneticists. Did you know that even fruit flies have an a amzing capacity for learning and memory? That they have an inborn sense of time that seems to be programmed into their genes? Not only can they learn and retain memory, but they can do it very fast for their relative "simplicity" in comparison to humans.

Religion doesn't seem to be useful for incorporating any evolutionary adaptation, since we organize religions to instruct us on what we don't tend to do by our nature. We select leaders whose constant and dedicated application to "spiritual" principles is not actually demonstrative of a reward, except by "faith", and we meet regularly to learn about that which seems to have less and less useful function in day-to-day living.

The principle function of religion therefore, can only serve to alienate us from normal evolutionary patterns. This seems to have become the dedicated purpose of religion, to challenge evolution at its core. Unfortunately, any system of authority that tries to reinforce that which we are not naturally inclied to do will become more tyrannical as time goes by. It will increasingly declare the power to kill in the name of its God. If we do concluide that religion somehow leads us to God, it should be apparent that "God" does NOT intend for us to gather greater and simpler organization in his name. In fact, it would appear that the purpose of such a God would be to continually cause us to splinter and speciate in our search for truth. Why? Development of individual intellect. Ability to think as individuals apart from collectives. The problem is, we naturally seek to collectivize religin and force people to live by doctrines we associate with God. Since the mind is not naturally subject to such reasoning(Romans 8:7), the obvious result will be continual slintering and speciation, as pre dicted by Jesus in Matthew 10:34-38.

Howard Bloom, in a book titled "Global Brain", points out that also works as an evolutionary strategy that drives a wedge into collective breeding pattersn that shape cliques and form "closed systems". It creates war even within families, and therefore promotes genetic diversity. By seeking religious meanin g, humans con tinually set themselves apart from general evolution ary patterns, seeking that for which there is no proof. An ancient geneticist might have found this the best strtegfy for developing human intelligence as a species.

Why can't we keep things simple? I think therefore I am. What I can see, is so.....what I cannot see, I will eventually...without a God of the gaps?
    The fact that we ca n't find a truly meaningful God sub ject to proof will cause those who are determin ed to believe in that God to apply every possible combination of thoughts to rationalize "meaning" or semantics into their system of thought. The more tech nology creates a greater range of options, the ore uncertainty is created. That uncertaintiy is balanced by the tendency to create cults and sub-cults that offset excessive "freedom" caused by increasing technology. We increasingly seek to adapt responsively and consciously as a human species.

By creating a system of law to which we are not naturally subject, cultures are conditioned to "come out and be separate", and become a kind of civilizational "virus", transplanting cultural "DNA" into whatever place they find themselves. Look at rhe history of the Jews, for example. They find themselves with a law to which they are bound, seeking a geographical reward(planet earth), but having no way to achieve it except by "cutting and pasting" across a broad spectrurm of civilizations and incorporating their social "DNA" into thise cultures, all the while evolving a "DNA code" called the Talmud, which is kept separate from their "germ code", the Torah. This civilizational developement is consistent with the hereditary aspects of DNA. Organisms keep "junk DNA"
    for reference against future invasion of viral disease. This same junk DNA is little more than DNA that was once a virus itself, used as a kid of library or database which te organism selects for future reference. The "germ DNA" however, is kept separate, walled off so that the genes are not changed, but there is a selectio process triggered by "methylation".

In like manner, the Jews kept their "germ DNA"(Torah) separate from the "methylated" DNA Talmud, which was created as an adaptive response to various cultures in history. The Jews act as a ki nd of civilizational virus by cutting and pasting laws across cultures. Did yu know, for example, that when William the Conqueror defeated the Anglo Saxons, he brought with hi a contingent of Jews already nowledgeable in international civil and commerce law? Did you know that our tria by jury and other basic premises were developed by those Jews, along with international finance?

There is an intelligence at work, driving civilizational evolution the same way that evolution of species occurs, appearing random.

so you are saying that intelligence is a manipulator of natural selection!? is this because this intelligence is trying to insure good triumphs over evil!? is this intelligence itself an evolutionary product!? even possibly separate from physical evolution!? and what part of INTELLIGENCE is THOUGHT!? is thought just a HIGHER STAGE of development of natural processes or is it also physically dependent on certain tissue constructions!? is thought an evolutionary byproduct of interference in natural occurrences!? and finally is intelligence as a choosing mechanism to be seen as a weakness and fault in a striving by natural selection to seek perfection of adaptation!? ::crazy1::spin2::
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    so you are saying that intelligence is a manipulator of natural selection!?
    I'm saying that we all have immune systems from amoeba, to fruit flies, to human beings, that generally operate according to the same genetic blueprint. Viruses move among the various species and "inform' them by "cutting and pasting' in a random appearing process. This is like a kind of "digital readout" of the immune system, which them acts to re-develop its organization al powers, first by re cog nition and 'tagging", then creating antibodies to nbeutralize. But reproductio n is altered to some degree by the viral actions at a random level. The immune system itself does seem to provide an organizing intelligence, and is as dependent on variety and new genetci connectio ns as the brain("Survival of the Sickest", Dr Sharon Moalem). It is also true that the gut is a kind of "seco nd brain" tht functio ns usi ng many of the sam hormones as the brain, allowing us to quickly respond to foods that may affect us in bad ways.

So, yes, there is a form of intelligence that shapes natural selection, but that same intelligence works within the immune systems of bacteria, amoeba, worms, and humans, connected genetically.

is this because this intelligence is trying to insure good triumphs over evil!? is this intelligence itself an evolutionary product!?
    Of course it is, ut such a thin g as memory can be traced back millions of years in little more tham chemical reactions, a process of retention of certain information, developing into behaviors(see Howard Bloom "Global Brain"). Even fruit flies learn and act on their own experience, guided by their immune systems. The "good" is to survive, and this is passed on through the immune systems of the next generation. Also, Lamarckian Transmission seems to play a central role, as recently discovered.

even possibly separate from physical evolution!? and what part of INTELLIGENCE is THOUGHT!?

The brain of humans, apparently, has a capacity for symbolic representation. Those collections of symbols are re-arranged to represent new and different relations in the field of knowledge. In biblical history, it seems that Israel was selected to live by mechancial/logical principles of a legal nature that was NOT dependent on their environment. They seem to be a ki nd of "naturall developed androids" that moved into various cultures, and, like the virus, "cut and past" civilizational "DNA" across cultures. The development of law, both civil and crimin al, as well as commercial was shaped by this con stant "re-coding" of the Jews in their Talmud. So, yes basically, it would seem even the jews have a kind of biological/evolutionary relationship in ther development.
    is thought just a HIGHER STAGE of development of natural processes or is it also physically dependent on certain tissue constructions!? is thought an evolutionary byproduct of interference in natural occurrences!?
    Thought is an evolution of a combination of behavior and choice. Humans for so me reason are less dependent on environment, and therefore depend on their representations of reality.
    and finally is intelligence as a choosing mechanism to be seen as a weakness and fault in a striving by natural selection to seek perfection of adaptation!? ::crazy1::spin2::
    Tought is as limited by factors of time as any other evolution ary force. What we think is limited by the force of time on social relations.