+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do not add or take away

I know in the book of Revelations there is a scripture stating that nothing should be added or taken away. My question is: How many of you believe this pertains to the entire bible?

Personally - I don't think it could. The book of Revelations was written before the first bible was ever made. I think the write, John, was just trying to protect what he wrote.

Re: Do not add or take away

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    I know in the book of Revelations there is a scripture stating that nothing should be added or taken away. My question is: How many of you believe this pertains to the entire bible?

Personally - I don't think it could. The book of Revelations was written before the first bible was ever made. I think the write, John, was just trying to protect what he wrote.
    Hi lis. I haven't talked to you forever. Hope you had a fun Christmas with the kids.

Anyway, it pertains to the whole Bible.

Born2Serve Guest

agrees with HP

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Serve
    agrees with HP

THANK YOU BS2!?(replacing BS1!?)hehe!!....for showing you TRUE CHARACTER!?REPUB LUNATIC SHEISTER!?hehe!!.....just askin....

5. 12-29-2006, 05:23 PM

It obviously only pertains only to the Book of Revelations. The Bible wasn't complied onto a book untill the 3rd century. That was long after the Book of Revelations was written.

So it would not make any sense to say the verse refers to the whole Bible.

Exactly what I'm saying Dawud. No bible even existed until around 330 AD, so how could it possibly pertain to the entire bible? It was written before a bible or canon of these books even existed.

How can it possibly pertain to the entire bible if the entire bible did not exist when it was written and the writer had no knowledge of a bible being created? That doesn't make sense.

HP - thanks. It was good, but I'm glad it's over. I realized that I need a vacation so the hubby and I might go to Vegas for a few days. (We live close so flights there are pretty cheap. Driving takes like... meh, to long.)

How was your Christmas?

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Dawud
    It obviously only pertains only to the Book of Revelations. The Bible wasn't complied onto a book untill the 3rd century. That was long after the Book of Revelations was written.

So it would not make any sense to say the verse refers to the whole Bible.

Originally, it was just a letter, a testament, not a book. But even if that was transcribed correctly it still looks like it was talking about ANY Prophesy of Jesus. That would technically mean the entire bible where there is reference to the Son of Man, Son of God, Christ, Jesus etc... However, it could just mean the Testament John wrote too. Nothing would really be lost either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation 1:1-3
    The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified [it] by his angel unto his servant John: Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Blessed [is] he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time [is] at hand. Revelation 1:1-3

Now to the end of the book:

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation
    For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book.
    The book or Revelation kind of sums up the entire life and prophesy of Jesus does it not? That was John's entire mission on earth, to tell people that the Christ had come and to prepare themselves by repenting of their sin and turning back to God.

If all a person had was the book of Revelation and nothing else, they would know who Jesus was and could be saved.

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 12-29-2006 at 11:36 PM.

The book or Revelation kind of sums up the entire life and prophesy of Jesus does it not? That was John's entire mission on earth, to tell people that the Christ had come and to prepare themselves by repenting of their sin and turning back to God.
    Considering that the Book of Revelations almost didn't even make it into the bible (they were considering a book by Paul instead) I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that the scripture meant the bible - because Revelations was almost not included into the original bible. (Created by Constantine and the council of... blah, I forget right now.)

Additionally, if you were to assume that this scripture pertained to the entire bible, then the bible is incomplete. It should include ALL of the religious texts that were written, excluding any would in fact be disobeying this very scripture. But books like "The Life of Adam and Eve" and others were not included the bible. So, in essence, they took that book away from the canon/bible. The scripture simply cannot be implied to the entire book without contradicting itself or those who put the bible together.

The 'do not add or take away' line is found in Deuteronomy, which is the last book of the Torah (first five books of Moses). That was codified quite a while before Christianity, even though the rest of the Tanach wasn't.

My guess would be that that's where the author of Revelation got it. I'm pretty sure that Revelation was a late addition to the cannon (around 1000 CE, if I remember right, but I'd have to look it up, or probably someone here knows), so either the author meant it about that book alone, or whoever put it at the end of the Christian bible copied that bit into Revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKid
    The 'do not add or take away' line is found in Deuteronomy, which is the last book of the Torah (first five books of Moses). That was codified quite a while before Christianity, even though the rest of the Tanach wasn't.

My guess would be that that's where the author of Revelation got it. I'm pretty sure that Revelation was a late addition to the cannon (around 1000 CE, if I remember right, but I'd have to look it up, or probably someone here knows), so either the author meant it about that book alone, or whoever put it at the end of the Christian bible copied that bit into Revelation.
    Actually. every quote in the New Testament was taken from the Old Testament (Tanach)

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexKid

There seems to be a lot of the Torah that was borrowed into the "Christian" bible by the authors who wrote the stories. Don't ya think? ;)

Sometimes it seems to be quite "selective" in what is borrowed. :D

Namaste'

Lady Mod

Considering that the Book of Revelations almost didn't even make it into the bible (they were considering a book by Paul instead) I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that the scripture meant the bible - because Revelations was almost not included into the original bible. (Created by Constantine and the council of... blah, I forget right now.)

Additionally, if you were to assume that this scripture pertained to the entire bible, then the bible is incomplete. It should include ALL of the religious texts that were written, excluding any would in fact be disobeying this very scripture. But books like "The Life of Adam and Eve" and others were not included the bible. So, in essence, they took that book away from the canon/bible. The scripture simply cannot be implied to the entire book without contradicting itself or those who put the bible together.
    You make a good point. The Apocrophil (spelling I'm sure is wrong) is missing out of the original KJ version as well.

I read a little once that it was quite an ordeal deciding which books made it into the bible and which didn't.

Lady Mod

Exactly what I'm saying Dawud. No bible even existed until around 330 AD, so how could it possibly pertain to the entire bible? It was written before a bible or canon of these books even existed.

How can it possibly pertain to the entire bible if the entire bible did not exist when it was written and the writer had no knowledge of a bible being created? That doesn't make sense.

HP - thanks. It was good, but I'm glad it's over. I realized that I need a vacation so the hubby and I might go to Vegas for a few days. (We live close so flights there are pretty cheap. Driving takes like... meh, to long.)

How was your Christmas?
    Hi Lis, Vegas sounds great right about now. I'm beat, but we've got about 4 more parties to attend before we can go anywhere.

Our Christmas was really nice. Our oldest child, who's attends college in Cali, is home for the holidays, and we haven't seen him since early August. We're really enjoying our time together again as a complete family.

I'm glad you're posting again. I've missed you. :)

Hot

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    There seems to be a lot of the Torah that was borrowed into the "Christian" bible by the authors who wrote the stories. Don't ya think? ;)

Sometimes it seems to be quite "selective" in what is borrowed. :D

Namaste'

Lady Mod
    Jesus was a Rabbi. Which ment he was a Torah teacher. So when he taught the people, or lectured at the Temple, he used the scriptures of the Old Testament. The same with the other Christian authors, Mark, John, Luke, Matthew, Paul, and the other writters. This was the religious source that they knew and used to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    You make a good point. The Apocrophil (spelling I'm sure is wrong) is missing out of the original KJ version as well.

I read a little once that it was quite an ordeal deciding which books made it into the bible and which didn't.

Lady Mod
    The books call the apocrypha are still used in the Cathloic Bible. They are a small number of books placed right in between the Old and New Testaments section.

They are not in the Jewish Bible either.

But, strangely in one of the books called Maccabees is he story of the oil lamp burming for 8 days miracle. The Jews celebrate this miracle every year in a festival called Hunnaka. (Even though The Book of Maccabees is not one of their recognized books)

:) I kinda missed most you guys... most. I'm completely overloaded at work. The company I work with is fairly small, when I started about 8 months ago there was 5 employees including owners and the accountant. We are up to 12 and will be hiring more now. I do training with another guy and the actual business is growing quick.

That's neat that your son is home for Christmas. Which school does he go to in Cali? I went to school for a year there, it was cheap. ($11/credit - I was a resident before I started though.)

We should just all meet up in Vegas (we won't be going until after tax season) and play the penny slots. (I love those! Cheap but still fun when you win.)