+ Reply to Thread

Chemical Universe

What is the brain? What are our thoughts? What is 'reality'? Big questions, huh?

Okay, the brain is an organ, our thoughts are essentially our memories, mixed in with a spoonful of learned behaviour, and everything is bound together by electrical impulses and chemicals.

Therefore, if you alter the chemical balance in the brain, you essentially alter the reality.

It is said that Shamen's (among others), used psychadellic shrubs and shrooms to 'connect with different levels of being'. Could it be argued that there is no such thing as a true reality, and reality is merely defined by the chemical make up of the brain. In other words, when you are 'tripping' on mushrooms, could it be reasonably argued that this this is as much a genuine reality, as when you are (so called) 'straight'. If that makes any sense..?

Re: Chemical Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    What is the brain? What are our thoughts? What is 'reality'? Big questions, huh?

Okay, the brain is an organ, our thoughts are essentially our memories, mixed in with a spoonful of learned behaviour, and everything is bound together by electrical impulses and chemicals.

Therefore, if you alter the chemical balance in the brain, you essentially alter the reality.

It is said that Shamen's (among others), used psychadellic shrubs and shrooms to 'connect with different levels of being'. Could it be argued that there is no such thing as a true reality, and reality is merely defined by the chemical make up of the brain. In other words, when you are 'tripping' on mushrooms, could it be reasonably argued that this this is as much a genuine reality, as when you are (so called) 'straight'. If that makes any sense..?
    I understand the concept you're explaining and to a point I agree with it. By "to a point" I'm talking about the difference between a perceived reality and an actual reality. For example... by altering one's consciousness one might perceive a beautiful young woman approaching them and hitting them with a large sunflower... the actually reality being a guy than resembles a shaved gorilla whomping you with a baseball bat. When it's all over you will think you've been beaten to a pulp with a flower. Not too sure if I'm very clear here, but I'm sure you get my drift. The fact that your head got knocked off didn't change... just your perception of it.

i wonder what this has to do with the fact that brain cells are not physically connected!?(hard wired!?)and did the OP mention dreams!?waking and asleep!?i suppose the waking would be more to the chemical altering kind!?i've experienced some very real dreams that when i awoke i was not convinced that it was reality!?and i was really pissed to have to accept it!?and it really gets hairy when you have dreams in dreams!?you have to wake up twice!?hehe!!.....just askin
    Last edited by lexx; 12-28-2006 at 10:28 AM.

If the last was meant to be a question, then the answer is no, it makes no sense whatsoever. :)

Hallucinagenics work by re-routing the electric impulses of the brain to the wrong connecters thus creating "visions" I once saw God at a Dead show, but logic tells me...

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    Hallucinagenics work by re-routing the electric impulses of the brain to the wrong connecters thus creating "visions" I once saw God at a Dead show, but logic tells me...

A Greatful Dead show? Hey if Jerry Garcia is back I've just been saved. :D

:d :d :d

Hey Those were supposed to be smilies:(

Hey Those were supposed to be smilies:(
    We can see them as smilies, can't we guys...

What are you seeing, Pete? ;)
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    A Greatful Dead show? Hey if Jerry Garcia is back I've just been saved. :D
    what about.....ELVIS!?.....have you no respect!?......hehe!!..just askin...

let's consider your premise!?there are right and wrong connectors and the god connector is WRONG!?ya!?i can see that perspective!?hehe!!....just askin...

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    what about.....ELVIS!?.....have you no respect!?......hehe!!..just askin...

The young, skinny Elvis or the fat, bloated Elvis?

Quote Originally Posted by Odear
    The young, skinny Elvis or the fat, bloated Elvis?
    actually ,the eternal best/most liked/personal/remembered/form of elvis!?hehe!!....just askin....

YES!?and NO!?and WHY!?now those are BIG/small questions depending on the residual EFFECTS of the described experiences!?of course i am assuming BIG means impossible and small means piece of cake!?has to be experienced to be hated/loved!?the truth is a ***** or a FREIND!?especially when it's PERSONAL!?hehe!!......just askin...