+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Modernising the legal system through technology

What an odd thing the law is.

While our police rightly embrace technology and science, to the full, to catch criminals, it seems that our courts are so slow to catch up.

Why is this?

Examples such as DNA testing, and large police databases, are making the police more efficient today, than they would have been even three decades ago.

Yet, look at our courts.

We still rely on an absurd jury system, that asks v little by way of criterea, for you to be an influence on a potentially complex case. The people usually have no legal or courtroom experience, and are therefore maliable to legal teams, on both sides.

Little wonder then that so many poor verdicts are often reached.

I would like to see us develop software to replace the human jury, and all it's failures.

The software could be equipped with legal knowledge, and just process that EVIDENCE in a factual manner, the way that a jury should. It should never be about how well the pros or def team perform, and always be about the EVIDENCE. At the moment, it is not really like that, for the reasons given.

Yet a sophisticated programme could digest the evidence, absorb all the data, and come to a better conclusion than a human jury, as neither legal team would be able to manipulate it, and it would be built with legal knowledge of similar cases, for one example.

Thoughts?

Re: Modernising the legal system through technology

Whose legal system are we talking about here? If it's the US, please stay away from our constitution unless you have the necessary backing to amend it. Any discussion about our legal system should stay within constitutional boundaries or the discussion is meaningless. What you suggest will not happen without eliminating the sixth ammendment no matter how beneficial it might be.

Whispering wind Guest

our constitution
    like that means ****.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Whose legal system are we talking about here? If it's the US, please stay away from our constitution unless you have the necessary backing to amend it. Any discussion about our legal system should stay within constitutional boundaries or the discussion is meaningless. What you suggest will not happen without eliminating the sixth ammendment no matter how beneficial it might be.
    LOL you speak as if the US has a constitution!

You don't have a constitution! Not one thats worth the toilet paper its written on. The US government proves that time and time again whenever they find something in the constitution they don't like, they just make an act to get around it. Remember the Patriot act?

Would anyone care, notwithstanding Bogies 'contribution', care to tell me if you think that my idea is at least worth exploring?

Thanks

Any discussion about our legal system should stay within constitutional boundaries or the discussion is meaningless. What you suggest will not happen without eliminating the sixth ammendment no matter how beneficial it might be.
    I do not mean this nasty, but that is a rather arrogant post.

It has benefits, you say. Maybe. Yet, we must stay within 'boundaries', else it is not worth discussing?

According to who?

If we restricted all new ideas to existing 'boundaries', we would all still be living in caves!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    LOL you speak as if the US has a constitution!

You don't have a constitution! Not one thats worth the toilet paper its written on. The US government proves that time and time again whenever they find something in the constitution they don't like, they just make an act to get around it. Remember the Patriot act?
    Which article or amendments are you referring to that the patriot act get's around? Hard to answer such an obscure question. Some specifics please and I'll do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    I do not mean this nasty, but that is a rather arrogant post.

It has benefits, you say. Maybe. Yet, we must stay within 'boundaries', else it is not worth discussing?

According to who?

If we restricted all new ideas to existing 'boundaries', we would all still be living in caves!

I still don't know whose legal system you're referring to. I'm only familiar with the US system. Sorry if you see the post as arogant I never mean to sound arogant but I meant to point out that if we are talking about the US legal system, then the constitution is boss whether you like it or not. Nothing will change inside or outside that "existing boundary" unless you change the boundary itself. I don't doubt that there are ideas worth exploring regarding the jury system that we have but as long as the sixth amendment gives the right to a trial by jury in a criminal proceding and the fifth amendment sets down the due process for such a proceding then there is nothing to change. No law could be passed by any state or local authority that removes a defendants right to a trial by a jury of his pears without being declared unconstitutional by the first appealate judge that hears the first case. It would never even get to the supreme court. It's very difficult to amend the constitution and rightly so but it has been amended more than two dozen times. So if you can get three forths of the state legislatures to agree with you then fine. Repeal the sixth amendment, modify the fifth and then lets discuss the best way to replace the jury.

If you're talking about some other country's legal system then I have nothing to add.
    Last edited by bogie; 12-22-2006 at 04:22 AM.

I still don't know whose legal system you're referring to. I'm only familiar with the US system. Sorry if you see the post as arogant I never mean to sound arogant but I meant to point out that if we are talking about the US legal system, then the constitution is boss whether you like it or not. Nothing will change inside or outside that "existing boundary" unless you change the boundary itself. I don't doubt that there are ideas worth exploring regarding the jury system that we have but as long as the sixth amendment gives the right to a trial by jury in a criminal proceding and the fifth amendment sets down the due process for such a proceding then there is nothing to change. No law could be passed by any state or local authority that removes a defendants right to a trial by a jury of his pears without being declared unconstitutional by the first appealate judge that hears the first case. It would never even get to the supreme court. It's very difficult to amend the constitution and rightly so but it has been amended more than two dozen times. So if you can get three forths of the state legislatures to agree with you then fine. Repeal the sixth amendment, modify the fifth and then lets discuss the best way to replace the jury.

If you're talking about some other country's legal system then I have nothing to add.
    Bogie.

There is not much of a difference between the legal system in the US, and that of the UK.

Hang on.

Yes, there is.

But there is little difference in the actual requirement to be a JUROR, and that is quite simply what this thread is about, finding something better than people who may have no grasp of law, and courts, and therefore, they are easily manipulated by either defence or prosecution.

What I am proposing is something that transcends nations, and could be a model across the world.

Thanks

PS- The person would STILL be getting a trial. A better one, in theory.

Btw, how come I am not getting e mail alerts to replies, despite my settings all being correct!

Anyone else experiecing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    Bogie.

There is not much of a difference between the legal system in the US, and that of the UK.

Hang on.

Yes, there is.

But there is little difference in the actual requirement to be a JUROR, and that is quite simply what this thread is about, finding something better than people who may have no grasp of law, and courts, and therefore, they are easily manipulated by either defence or prosecution.

What I am proposing is something that transcends nations, and could be a model across the world.

Thanks

PS- The person would STILL be getting a trial. A better one, in theory.

Btw, how come I am not getting e mail alerts to replies, despite my settings all being correct!

Anyone else experiecing this?
    Sometimes I get emails and sometimes I don't. I have no Idea why. Computer gremlins I trust. :D Anyway yeah well fine, if we're talking about the UK then I'll bow out. I'll not put in my two cents without at least some basic knowledge. I agree that transcending boarders would be an improvement, even elimininating them would be my choice. but you can't even get people to discuss things in a civil fashion on this forum so I doubt we'll get very far getting the various governments to come together. The little I do know about the system you Brits have though, it seems that like me, you are lucky to live in a country that at least has some due process of law.

Have a merry christmas if we don't chat beforehand.

I probably just offended somebody by saying that. :D

Sometimes I get emails and sometimes I don't. I have no Idea why. Computer gremlins I trust. :D Anyway yeah well fine, if we're talking about the UK then I'll bow out. I'll not put in my two cents without at least some basic knowledge. I agree that transcending boarders would be an improvement, even elimininating them would be my choice. but you can't even get people to discuss things in a civil fashion on this forum so I doubt we'll get very far getting the various governments to come together. The little I do know about the system you Brits have though, it seems that like me, you are lucky to live in a country that at least has some due process of law.

Have a merry christmas if we don't chat beforehand.

I probably just offended somebody by saying that. :D
    Not me.

You have one too.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Whispering wind
    like that means ****.
    Haha exactly

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Haha exactly

What do you think of my original idea, SJ?

Well go to school for law or research on your own a sh*t-ton and start writing and creating a program. Propose the final product (to the legal system r whatever) and see what they think

Unfortunately there is never going to be a perfect legal system. Also keep in mind that when I talk about the legal system I am referring to the US, as this is where my experience lies. I agree with the statement about there being no criteria for jurors, I donít believe that replacing people with HAL 9000 is a good idea. As we (the US) have found out through recent elections, programs and electronics are susceptible to tampering. Not to mention a program would run based on pure logic, and not take into account other factors i.e. mental instabilities, stress, socio-economic factors.

I think there are other ways to improve on the legal system, possibly by reducing some of the red-tape, as well as complete overhaul on the current prison system in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger
    Unfortunately there is never going to be a perfect legal system. Also keep in mind that when I talk about the legal system I am referring to the US, as this is where my experience lies. I agree with the statement about there being no criteria for jurors, I donít believe that replacing people with HAL 9000 is a good idea. As we (the US) have found out through recent elections, programs and electronics are susceptible to tampering. Not to mention a program would run based on pure logic, and not take into account other factors i.e. mental instabilities, stress, socio-economic factors.
    I think there are other ways to improve on the legal system, possibly by reducing some of the red-tape, as well as complete overhaul on the current prison system in the US.
    I understand that research is well underway that could indeed build those very factors into the programme, mate.