+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A GREAT Idea!

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

A GREAT Idea!

Editorial
    A Dose of Reality TV for Congress

If Democratic leaders truly want to put some nip into the new Congress, they should finally free up television coverage of floor debates so citizens can see the unvarnished state of the people’s forum. Current TV restrictions allow only static head-on shots of whoever has the floor, lending chamber proceedings all the excitement of a postage stamp.

The cameras should be liberated to pan the floor and look for reaction shots. Who but working politicians would suspect there’s a risk to showing real life? C-Span watchers were deprived of a much needed touch of humanity during President Clinton’s impeachment trial when one weary senator listened to the interminable proceeding with his shoes off.

The speaker’s office has been wary of allowing free-ranging cameras since coverage was permitted 28 years ago. Visitors to the chamber galleries can plainly see scenes denied to TV watchers — sideline wheeling and dealing; the representative more interested in the newspaper than the debate; the senator nodding off, understandably perhaps; and the near-empty chamber surrounding the orator speaking for the stationary camera.

Politicians should be the first to realize the possibilities of open viewing. There’s no shortage of them working the camera angles during the president’s annual State of the Union address, that rare night of free-rein TV. Imagine if there had been a roving camera eye at the debate over Medicare drug subsidies three years ago when the Republican leader, Tom DeLay, kept the vote open beyond the time limit. All C-Span viewers could see was the droning scene of time being killed. What was really happening was Mr. DeLay roaming the floor and arm-twisting members to vote for passage.

That’s the reality of politics. Americans should be allowed to see it on TV.

Re: A GREAT Idea!

Who wants to look at an empty room? Most of these moments are isolated for the physical viewing privilege of a few who are there to get a chance to talk on the microphone, to delay (I don't mean little Tommy either but he is only one of the masters) any actual progress in the right direction? Rarely are they there to change opinions, or do their job according to the oath they swore to, and why would/should they even try? Most have already been "told" how they will vote by the heads of their particular ruling party who have been "told" how the vote will go by some corporate henchman/traitor (who are the one's writing the bills that establishes the legislation they vote on), no matter the facts, or even the reality of a given situation?

1 Billion dollars will be spent to determine which ruling party will control the Executive Branch of our government in 2008, and even Forbes said on the TV this morning that only a fool would try and go up against one of the domineering party candidates. A man who understands money, and the power of the almighty dollar, said it was a waste to even try! Did you know that Ľ of the 2˝ days a week our, and I use the word loosely, so called “representatives”, spent valuable time doing while our troops are being used for target practice? They spent their time and our money voting on names for post offices? POST OFFICES for the love of Pete!

Why would anyone in their right mind vote for any of these, paid for political traitors, much less want to sit and watch them destroy the fiber of our government for their own selfish reasons? We are a conquered nation/people, and not one shot has been fired to do it? We hand it to them on a silver platter every time we vote for a democrat or a republican! WE should be proud?

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

The point Joe. IF we really want changes to take place in Congress, then the American people will need to really SEE what takes place there. If the power actually went back to the people, you can bet, the representatives would spend less time courting money and more time "representing" the voters.

The entire system as it stands right now needs to be trashed and rolled back to how it ran from the beginning of our country. Before there were "parties".

Someone needs to play the rolls of Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin and so many others who pricked the conscience of Americans. We criticize the media, but the media is doing exactly what it needs to be doing. In fact, it needs to do a much better job.

Lady Mod

Whispering wind Guest

I would love to see Reality TV for Congress.

But how does big brother and the media show politicians answering directly to their bankers ?

Maybe they all end up in bed together.
    and take turns of ****ing in the mouths of ordinary citizens.
    Last edited by Whispering wind; 12-21-2006 at 06:44 PM.

"WE", you and I want, and see the need for changes! Do you have 1 billion $'s, laying around for us to use to get our message out, cuz I'm a bit strapped for cash with the holidays upon on us, and a car payment due? The only way to salvage this broken system is to take the money out of it? A system that has become what it is because of money? I'm not giving up, I'm just irrelevant at this juncture??

I would love to see Reality TV for Congress.

But how does big brother and the media show politicians answering directly to their bankers ?

Maybe they all end up in bed together.
    and take turns of ****ing in the mouths of ordinary citizens.
    Ewww? Must see TV!

Didn't mean to kill your thread? I actually think that it might be a good idea? It should also be mandatory that if someone is speaking in the chamber that means congress is in session and all members should be present! Other than a doctors excuse, no exceptions! Doesn't matter who just bought them an all expense paid golf trip in Europe, or if they have a date with an intern back in their office!