+ Reply to Thread

Got scammed on Ebay

I sold a computer on ebay recently. The buyer has a pretty high feedback score, verified Paypal account, confirmed address and phone number. Everything makes him an honest person.

He paid with a eCheck. I shipped on the day when the payment is supposed to be cleared. Dang! I later noticed that the check didn't clear that day.

I called the buyer and he promised to send a check right away. I then made a big mistake by trusting him and not stopping the delivery.

After receiving the package, I only got to him once and he lied again to send the check asap. Then, all the phone calls goes to the answering machine, except once when I called at 1am EST and his wife only hello'ed once.

I know that I shouldn't have trusted even a buyer with high feedback scores.

Now, there are the things that I'm planning to do:
    1. Continue calling and leaving messages on their AM at least 3 times a day. I'm calling in the morning, dinner time and bed time. I will do it on Xmas eve too. Is this legal?
    2. Send a certified mail with a debt collection bill and request return receipt. How do I make sure they sign it?
    3. Call New Castle, PA police station and report scam. Will this work?
    4. Pay a collection agent to harass them. And pay the collection agent to report the debt to credit bureau.
    5. Drive to New Castle to get either the money or my computer back. (I live in Chicago. It's far, but not that far)

I need some advice too:
    1. Can someone provide me with a sample collection letter that I can use?
    2. Can someone help me make a mock call as a lawyer or collection agent before I use the real one? I'm willing to pay you.

After all, $565 is no big deal for me. And I'm even willing to pay more to get them screwed for years. Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Re: Got scammed on Ebay

I really can't give you any advice, but I just wanted to say keep on doing what your doing. I lost $500 on ebay from a guy that I bought a multi track recorder from. I called more than 3 times a day until he finally changed his phone number, and I filed every complaint possible. If he lived close to me I would have driven to his house.
    This kind of stuff really annoys me so dont give up.

Thanks for your reply. If I ever drive to his home, do you think if I should hire a big guy just standing by in case he pulls a gun?

Did you have tracking on the package? If so keep all the info, keep all the emails, print the echeck information that didnt clear. U can file a small claims for like 25 bucks if he dosent show u automatically win. Keep calling, call from different phone numbers, he might be screening. Eventually he'll pay up. I agree with mac, dont give up, I hate scammers!

Quote Originally Posted by allenuic
    Thanks for your reply. If I ever drive to his home, do you think if I should hire a big guy just standing by in case he pulls a gun?
    A better idea would be to show up with a cop.

Can I file a claim in Chicago if this sucker lives in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by capri_auto
    Did you have tracking on the package? If so keep all the info, keep all the emails, print the echeck information that didnt clear. U can file a small claims for like 25 bucks if he dosent show u automatically win. Keep calling, call from different phone numbers, he might be screening. Eventually he'll pay up. I agree with mac, dont give up, I hate scammers!

Quote Originally Posted by capri_auto
    Check your PM's
    ;)

Technically you have to file where the incident happened, and since it happened on your end, as well as his I would think so, call your county clerks office, he will tell you for sure. The whole process is very very easy.

Ribo, gonna check it now!!

FYI, in most states it is illegal to claim that you are a lawyer when in fact you are not.

Thanks for the reminder. But how about claiming to be a collection agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner
    FYI, in most states it is illegal to claim that you are a lawyer when in fact you are not.

No need to do anything drastic for 500 bucks... if you keep calling his wife will most likely make him pay you... lol And a civil case is as drastic as you need to go, this guy isnt gonna risk that kind of pressure for 500 dollars, you have his contact info and his mailing addy... he dosent have much room to hide.

Thanks for your kind replies. I'm researching on the small claim right now.

Here is a good article for anyone else's reference:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consu...l_claim_01.htm

Some basic points are:
    Where do I go to file my case?
    File your case in the court which has jurisdiction.

What gives the court jurisdiction?
    Here are two possibilities:

the incident on which you base your claim took place in the court's territory, or
    the defendant or business is located in the court's territory.
    If you ordered something over the Internet, by mail or telephone, your local court will usually have jurisdiction, since your part of the transaction took place locally.

Okay, I've got a judgment. Now what?
    If you win the case, you're the "judgment creditor." The party that owes you money is the "judgment debtor," and has 30 days to pay.

If he doesn't, you take on the dual role of judgment creditor and collections agent. The Clerk of the Court can help you file a "judgment debtor exam" form to discover defendant's property out of which your judgment could be paid. These questions are often filed by mail, but a personal exam (for which the defendant appears and is sworn in) is also available.