+ Reply to Thread

Are You A Computer Techie?

I am - and I've found a REAL neat way to make money from home remoting into customers' computers and doing support. If you HATE phone support as much as I do and prefer to do the work yourself this is the perfect answer. The system is real cool as it will punch through ANY firewall and even into unpublished sub-nets. Encryption is 128-bit (not the best but good enough for this).

Neat stuff - let me know if U R interested in learning more.

Re: Are You A Computer Techie?

Can you post the URL here?

Yeah, if you could post the link here, I'd consider it a little more reliable than if I had to PM you for it. Makes it sound like you've got something to hide.

"Punch through any firewall"?
    You wouldn't need to "punch" in, if you had legitimate access to the computer or network you're "supporting".
    Junior, you're just shilling some lousy Trojan program you downloaded from www.teennerdswhothinktheysgangstahackers.con

Quote Originally Posted by dr poormouth
    "Punch through any firewall"?
    You wouldn't need to "punch" in, if you had legitimate access to the computer or network you're "supporting".
    Junior, you're just shilling some lousy Trojan program you downloaded from www.teennerdswhothinktheysgangstahackers.con
    "Junior" ... hey, that's pretty funny considering I've been in the IT industry since DOS 3.1 (about 20 years or so). Oh, and I'm a grandpa so - I think I've passed the "teen" stage...both personally and with my children (not sure how I made it through either of those!).

For those less skeptical and insulting check out http://www.remotesupportsystem.com Believe me, there's nothing shady about this and you really CAN make some money with it if you treat your support as a business and build a good client base. Note you have to be quite savvy yourself as you have to set up an RSS server, deal with dynamic versus static IP address issues, IP forwarding, etc.

Enjoy.

"Punch firewall" is just a IT term.

Example. You are on college computer network. Your network firewall does not allow anybody to run file sharing programs or streaming video. You want tech support to give you and only you exception and run those programs on your station. You put a request to tech support to "punch" network's firewall for you.
    I guess you can do it remotely too.

Exactly, Borisf96 - it's just a techie term.

It's too bad some folks think it's necessary to immediately assume the worst in people they've never met. This system, setting up an RSS Server and then using the Remote Control Software, is a legitimate way to operate a home business. This software allows for full invoicing...even to the point of sending the invoice to the customer as soon as you disconnect. You can charge a connect fee, then a per-minute fee. If you're good at tech support (Desktop or Deskside) this may be something you want to consider doing. Once set up we've yet to find a firewall (software or hardware driven) that this won't get through. Yes, it's fairly safe (128-bit encryption - not the best but not the worst, either) and yes the customer knows if you're connected so there's no real fear of "shadow-connections" where someone is spying.

Quite a system - check it out if you're technically qualified to run such a business.

Quote Originally Posted by borisf96
    "Punch firewall" is just a IT term.

Example. You are on college computer network. Your network firewall does not allow anybody to run file sharing programs or streaming video. You want tech support to give you and only you exception and run those programs on your station. You put a request to tech support to "punch" network's firewall for you.
    I guess you can do it remotely too.
    Not unless you have the admin rights to the Firewall in question.

There is not much point in having a firewall if remote people can "punch through it" - that's what Firewalls are designed to STOP happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter
    Exactly, Borisf96 - it's just a techie term.

It's too bad some folks think it's necessary to immediately assume the worst in people they've never met. This system, setting up an RSS Server and then using the Remote Control Software, is a legitimate way to operate a home business.
    an RSS server? What does Really Simple Syndication have to do with this? If you are setting up an RSS server the presumably you also must have the web site server to host it on? Or is that something you have to pay for and how much? Are you spamming RSS feeds with Ads?

As Remote desktop is free software I wonder how much someone is charging for this?

This software allows for full invoicing...even to the point of sending the invoice to the customer as soon as you disconnect. You can charge a connect fee, then a per-minute fee. If you're good at tech support (Desktop or Deskside) this may be something you want to consider doing. Once set up we've yet to find a firewall (software or hardware driven) that this won't get through. Yes, it's fairly safe (128-bit encryption - not the best but not the worst, either) and yes the customer knows if you're connected so there's no real fear of "shadow-connections" where someone is spying.
    Why would you have to "get through" a firewall? You have mentioned this a couple of times and it does not make any sense. If you are indeed assisting someone then they can allow you through - there is no need to "get through" anything. As for being "fairly safe" - safe from what exactly?

Quite a system - check it out if you're technically qualified to run such a business.
    I cannot tell from your post what this 'system' is - when I need to sort out my sister's machine (she lives overseas) I just use remote desktop. Pretty simple, free and easy.

I also do this professionally for 1200 users via a much more sophisticated (and expensive) system called LanDesk. So any time you wish to get technical - please feel free.
    Last edited by Duck98; 12-18-2006 at 07:06 PM.

I checked out the website you referenced - kind of dumb of them to use the term RSS Server which is already in wide use for the Web, but that's a small thing.

The system looks fairly straightforward and the pricing does not look out of line.

I don't know whether there are further hidden costs or whatever but from a support view it looks fine to me.

I have many knowledge about computer and I have also do hardware and networking course. I have also repair many computer and now I have own business of hardware and networking computer.

Are you trying to advertise your site or what, I think you have not even left the name of the site where can get the site