+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What is "Health Career Agents"?

I keep seeing "medical recruiter" jobs listed at monster.com so I finally clicked on the link and found "Health Career Agents". It looks like the same type of things as Strategic Research Network's "Assistant Internet Researcher" which may not fully be scam but sure smells kind of fishy to me. But anyway, I'm slightly confused. What would this "Health Career Agent" do?

Thanks if you can help.

Re: What is "Health Career Agents"?

You basically have to find health practitioners and employers. It is the same job as health care recruiters do.

As much as I figured out. Agents/Owners after some online training to get their recruiting website and knowledge how to mass mail to attract people to their website. It is affiliate marketing for health care recruitment sector.

I doubt that you will be paid too much. All qualified work(unless this is total scam with high sign-up fee) will be done either by software or by real professionals. You are there to advertise and generate leads.
    Last edited by borisf96; 12-12-2006 at 11:51 PM.

This is my first post to scam.com, but I've been an avid reader for a long time. Thank you to the many insightful participants.

My wife and I have tried many different business ventures in the past with varying degrees of success. We were recently exposed to Health Career Agents (www.healthcareeragents.com) and found their proposal to be a very interesting one.
    We are considering becoming Owner/Operators, not Sales Consultants or Researchers. The initial investment seems to be very reasonable for a business opportunity the provides a viable entry in to a potentially very lucrative industry. The key word being viable, if this is not legitimate than your gonna be out some serious dough.

We are beginning the due diligence process despite the somewhat less than glowing reception that HCA, and it's sister company SRN, have received here on scam.com. This appears, at face value, to be a serious opportunity to work from home in a huge growth market. I've read enough scam.com to have a basic feel for when something is a red herring or to good to be true. Despite the fact that there are some red flags here, e.g. the monster.com adds that folks have referred to frequently, there is a lot of good sound business practices in their plan.

First, let me offer that whatever conclusions we come to I will try to report all my findings back to this forum.
    Second, I really would like some insight from anyone who has any experience with this company as an owner or the sister company SRN. Has anyone actually evaluated this as a business investment? What conclusions have you come to? The one thing that I wish they would be more forthright about in their literature is average earnings and time involvement. For example, how long did it take the average Owner/Operator to achieve their first sale? What is the average income for a O/O, how long has the average business been operating? How many business O/Os are there in North America? Internationally?

I'm going to continue my due diligence, in the mean time if anyone has any insight I would certainly appreciate it.

I investigated the business model thoroughly and had my attorney do a fair amount of due diligence too. I believe it is a "real" business, with potential upside. At the same time, my conclusions are that health care recruiting involves a lot of hard work. I don't think most of the "dreamers/whiners" at scam.com are going to have what it takes to be successful in a business like this (or any other). I don't think it's a business for anyone who lacks sales skills or confidence in themselves. Quite frankly, that's something that attracts me to health care recruiting since I view it as a barrier to entry for competitors. Just my opinion.

My understanding is that the company can not make statements about average earnings or timelines because it's not a franchise. I would recommend doing your homework and paying St. Louis a visit, unannounced.

I am currently researching this opportunity and have found that the company is a member of Better Business Bureau, which has received no complaints about them in the past 36 months.

Does anybody have any new information on this company? Any recent experience good or bad?

I am doing my research and comparing them with other "Health Care Recruiters" such as Medical Staffing Consultants, Brighstar Healthcare, White Glove Placements among others.

While Health Career Agents, Inc do not have any documentation of their success, the initial investment ("franchise fee") they require is relatively reasonable compared to others.

Thanks for any input and advise.

7. 07-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Reason
    Offer proof to back your claim or don't post.

8. 07-30-2008, 12:34 PM

9. 07-30-2008, 12:37 PM

10. 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM

I had a friend that used to be a recruiter for this company (i.e. work from home). While the company itself it NOT a scam, I would advise against doing this for multiple reasons.

The company (HCA) sells a franchise opportunity to a business owner who pays 50K and up for the opportunity to become an owner. The owner then "hires" recruiters from within HCA to work under his "tree" or business segment. This could be recruiters who are already in the network at the time the owner bought in, or new recruiters getting into the company and being assigned to an owner.

Here are some things to consider:

• HCA does not generate business or new business for the business owner. If the business owner is not aggressive or committed to constantly gaining new business and fostering relationships and getting in deeper with current clients, then the business is going to fail. My friend was in a situation where the business owner was only working actively with less than 5 accounts, in an attempt to support 5-6 recruiters. That won't work.
    • HCA advertises for new recruiters EVERY day or nearly every day on monster.com and other job boards. I don't think there is much of a culling process to keep from flooding the "market" with new recruiters. I think the new recruiter is out $100 or some small amount. And they have to incorporate. So, although there is some initial investment - it is very minimal. This means that pretty much anyone who aspires to work from home and has minimal job skills can get in as a recruiter, thus flooding the market. My friend was in a situation where the peer organization was not generating any new business or jobs. Yet, the business owner was taking on 2-3 additional recruiters into the organization at that time who had signed on with HCA. This would be akin to a store who is not making any money going out and hiring additional employees. Something that any logical person would say you would not do.
    • Pay cycles. Depending on the contract, the "hiring" company has up to 90 days to pay the business owner in some cases once the employee you found for them actually starts on the job. Once the business owner gets paid, he gets his portion and sends a check to HCA. HCA then takes their portion and sends a check to the recruiter. So the recruiter is the last one to get paid. This is great if you can afford to go 90 days between pay checks or if you are doing enough placements to be getting regular checks (which would take years to establish). Since most people can't afford to go more than 2 weeks without some sort of income, this is not a good plan to be on. Also, keep in mind that most employees (if leaving another job) give a 2 week notice. So this delays your getting paid by 2 more weeks. If they want any vacation or down time in between jobs, then you could potentially be waiting 4 months to be paid for an employee you placed.
    • You are at the mercy of your client. My friend had many instances where they submitted candidates to client companies for jobs, only to have the client company sit on the job for weeks at a time. What I mean by that is that a candidate was submitted and the company showed no sense of urgency in setting up an interview or making a hiring decision. Sometimes it was that whoever was doing the interviewing or hiring was out on vacation, etc. Most of the time though it was just that the hiring authority was too "busy" or just plain lazy about making a decision. By the time that they finally got around to wanting to schedule an interview - the candidate had already accepted a job with another company. So all of the legwork you put into cold calling and finding a good fit - is out the window! Sometimes you could have hours invested into one person and if they don't get hired, then you don't get paid.
    • Most of the easy healthcare jobs are filled through X company's HR department. Unless they are extremely lazy or just don't want to fool with it - a company is not going to pay a recruiting firm to find a candidate that they could easily find themselves. Therefore, you won't just be calling an RN that might be looking to change jobs and have them working the next week. The HCA jobs by and large are for specialized roles (sometimes VERY specialized) that the company has likely already been looking to fill and hasn't been able to turn anyone up. Someone with a dual degree in nursing and psychology with 10 year's experience is not easily found. And those type people are usually happily employed. Many of these type people are DIFFICULT to find and it takes hours, weeks, and sometimes months to locate a candidate that is just willing to submit their resume. Something to consider.

Like most of you, I get email notifications when someone submits a post to this thread. Normally I wouldn't respond because it appears that most people at this site comment about businesses, or make absolute statements about companies, even though they appear to have limited first hand knowledge, or none at all.

While I appreciate the intentions in the post above, I would prefer to hear from the poster's "friend", rather than a removed party. I have a basic understanding of the company, and a more extensive knowledge of the recruiting industry, there appears to be a mix of accurate information along with inaccurate. I will add my two cents worth:

The poster writes: "While the company itself it NOT a scam"

>>I understand what the writer is saying, his friend didn't think the company was a scam. But do either really know? There were a lot of people who thought Enron wasn't a scam, until everything hit. I think any business requires due diligence and investigation. From what I have seen of the company they appear to encourage rigorous and direct analysis.

The post above states: "The company (HCA) sells a franchise opportunity"

>> Everything I have seen and heard emphasizes that the company is NOT a franchise.

The poster types: "The owner then "hires" recruiters from within HCA to work under his "tree" or business segment. This could be recruiters who are already in the network at the time the owner bought in, or new recruiters getting into the company and being assigned to an owner."

>> The company's website and employees say that they teach their "owners" how to recruit their own recruiters (consultants) up to 20 for the money they pay, and the company also recruits consultants for their owners. However, I have not seen any guarantees to that affect.

The statement is made by the poster that: "HCA advertises for new recruiters EVERY day or nearly every day on monster.com and other job boards. I don't think there is much of a culling process to keep from flooding the "market" with new recruiters."

>> On multiple archived radio shows at the company's website, the representation is made that they qualify applicants heavily and that fewer than 5% of applicants become recruiters or "consultants". This would be consistent with my experience in recruiting. Most people are NOT willing to sacrifice and do what it takes to be successful. BTW: if you listen to some of those radio show recordings with the company's "owners" you can learn a lot about the industry and how this company operates.

The poster adds: "My friend was in a situation where the peer organization was not generating any new business or jobs. Yet, the business owner was taking on 2-3 additional recruiters into the organization at that time who had signed on with HCA. This would be akin to a store who is not making any money going out and hiring additional employees. Something that any logical person would say you would not do."

>>I believe the poster's "friend" was working as a consultant with one of the company's "owner" offices. I don't think they have a lot of leverage in the arrangement from what I've seen and learned. Regardless, this type of "cattle call" approach is pretty typical in recruiting because it is hard to figure out who will do the work and who is going to give up before they get to the goal. Put three people on the phone, with great training, and one will make it. That has been my experience.

The poster writes: "Depending on the contract, the "hiring" company has up to 90 days to pay."

>> I have seen the company's agreement and it dictates payment in 15 days. But some employers require different terms and the company has stated they may agree to 30 days or even 45. The company has stated on its archived radio shows, and in the business plan it provides prospects, that they never condone agreements that allow for payment outside of that period of time. The company does reference an estimate of 90 days that anyone considering working as a recruiter (consultant) should be prepared to sustain themselves. Based on my experience, this is reasonable and accurate. In fact, it kind of tells me that the company is responsible in the representations they are making. Actually, I have heard consultants at the company's archived radio shows at their website talking about making substantial revenue (and giving specifics) inside of 30 days.

The poster went on to write: "You are at the mercy of your client... Sometimes you could have hours invested into one person and if they don't get hired, then you don't get paid."

>> In my experience, that's how headhunting or contingency based recruiting works. This is the trade off for getting paid tens of thousands of dollars when the employer DOES hire your candidate. It also is affected by the skills of the recruiter. My experience has been that a good recruiter can 3 to 4 candidates to make money on one, and that a not so good recruiter could have to present 7-8. The important thing is to not give up.

The poster adds: "a company is not going to pay a recruiting firm to find a candidate that they could easily find themselves."

>> Absolutely correct. Employers only pay recruiting fees when they can't get the candidate on their own. Out of the one million openings in healthcare, some portion are the variety that will not warrant a fee. Some portion will. It's a fact though that recruiting and staffing added up to $80 billion last year.

It sounds like your friend wasn't cut out for recruiting. Doesn't mean other people won't be better suited for it. Hope your friend finds something they're better suited for.

The other postings are so ridiculous. How can anyone take these individuals seriously when they have no factual information to share. The market appears to be far from saturated. The need for healthcare professionals is high now with an estimated one million open positions. Experts say it is going to continue for years to come.

Tina:

Thanks so much for being the bastion of truth. Are you associated with HCA in any way?

I am currently researching the Health Career Agent. I am just wondering how it could be started without the help of any organization. I would like to research it. Any information would be much appreciated:spin2:.

I have bought into HCA and I can tell you that there is a possibility that you can make money, but I did not.

What HCA does not tell you is how very hard the recruiting business is, how many long hours you are expected to work and then after maybe 2 years you may see some results. I did not have the finances to wait that long and did it because I was told that I would have my success within a few months.

The fallout rate is huge at HCA. How do I know? HCA sets you up with a website company who hosts your site and pays for the first year out of your fees. Only 30% renew after a year and I know many who do don't make enough to pay bills. :rotz:

I have all the training material and would be willing to part with it for a greatly reduced price.

I to am researching HCA and actually received their agreement to proceed with the Agent program. I am concerned about what ThinkFast was saying in terms of HCA setting unrealistic expectations and painting a rosy picture when in fact the market is much more saturated and exceedingly challenging to make placements. I would be interested in talking to ThinkFast further about their experience and the training they received. I have never posted on a site like this so I'm not exactly sure how this all works. Any info you can share would be helpful as I am planning on sending back the paperwork in less than a week. Thanks

Scambone & Tina, thanks alot for your contributions, I am currently considering this HCA opportunity as a possible O/O. I had just recently stumbled on it at careerbuilder website. Never posted on any site like "scam.com" before, but my and I are seriously considering this opportunity, I will appreciate any legit' information at this point. I wonder whatever happened to the poster "rs_co", since his last posting in 2007; he'd said he'd come back and give a feedback about his experience with this company, but no update from him yet. Attn Administrator! Can you pls help locate "rs_co"? I need some more testimonies plsss.

As stated by "nico2me", "Health Career Agents, Inc do not have any documentation of their success" anywhere and I wonder how to get some information on this. Secondly, I need to know the number of people who get involved annually compared to the number who actually made it far (turnover rate). What is the experience with HCA's biz &/or tech support line? I just recently listened to their radio broadcast of interviews with a few sales consultants and one owner operator, I was kindda impressed, but my curious mind still wanna know why the radio address has not been updated since 2007. Why is that? I'd like for them to produce a list of people or companies doing this same business in my area under their umbrella. I mean real doers that I can visit in my area, ofcourse I'd still visit their HQ unannounced. I'd also like to be sure that this is not a saturated mkt as alleged here. An insight into the avg earning potentials will be great as well.

The poster named "ggib" said "They have no documentation because only 2% are successful, and it is highly competitve and saturated! Too many people in the business!" I wonder if I could get with "ggib" to understand his/her insight better. Does anybody know if there is anyway to be an owner/operator, recruiter or sales consultant without going thru these companies, even if it means a little more hard work?

ATTN... "thinkfast" and "maximus", pls help me in whatever way possible. Thanks alot guys!!!

Have you found out anything about this Health Care recruiter?

I think there is a need to set things straight for those reading or posting on this thread. I am an HCA agent. I bought the full package, I paid the money and own a recruiting company that is associated with the HCA network.

This is NOT a scam. Because to be a scam, the HCA folks would have to be lying to you to get your money. They are not lying, but I do believe they are not telling all the truth, as they fully admit it later on "after" you have signed.

I did not make the money I wished I had and I truly believe that I never will. Now, I am a perfect candidate to be bitter, but I am not. Recruiting is not for me and HCA did not vet me out. You speak with three existing agents and they each get $200 for interviewing you. If you get approved by all three, you may buy the license. The only person who has ever been turned down is someone who could not speak English over the phone and 98% get into the system.

You will lose your rear end within 6 months unless you have 6-12 months of personal expenses saved up before you ever venture in the HCA direction. Most people I know can't function without missing one paycheck under normal working circumstances. So, if you won the lottery or just have piles of cash in your bank account right now - you might do well over the long haul with HCA. If you don't, then you are setting yourself up for failure from the get-go.

I can't stress enough how ABC company is not going to source you in to try to find them standard RN positions or easy positions that they can fill on their own. They are only going to utilize your services to help find that needle in the haystack employee that they can't find themselves after much searching. These are positions like Nurse Case Manager's that require extensive experience as a nurse or nurse manager as well as extensive experience as a social worker. Many of these type positions require a masters degree in nursing and a masters degree in social work. For example. These people are not a dime a dozen and are very difficult to find.

The kicker - once you find a candidate (assuming you do) you are at the mercy of the company as to when they want to conduct an interview. Consider that the hiring client may drag their feet and not do anything for two weeks because they are so busy running the business. Then they may go on vacation for a week. Or they may be traveling and not able to conduct an interview. There's three weeks right there that you have already lost. Not to mention all the time that you spent trying to find someone that met their qualifications. That could easily be another 6-8 weeks. So, now you have 11-12 weeks invested in this one person.

And the client may not like them or may not make them an offer. Or, your candidate may get tired of waiting and take a job elsewhere in the meantime. In the event they are hired, most companies have a minimum of 1 month in the role before they will pay you a finder's fee. Many are 90 days. So, it is feasible for you to invest 4-6 months of your time before you even see a red cent. And, remember, this is just a single candidate.

I'd like to see the failure rate for HCA ownership and agents. It has to be off the charts. Many owners start out with a staff of 3 or so recruiting agents. And they can't even keep enough "business" in the pipeline to support those 3 agents. So, then they add 3 new agents to their business model as the agents buy into HCA. Then you have 6 people not making any money instead of 3. Bad business model.

Is HCA a scam? No. Are you going to be able to make 100K doing this? Not likely. Maybe in 3-5 years. Probably not even then though. I had a friend that did this and made about 10K in 6 months. So that's 20K per year. That's $9.62 per hour considering a 40 hour workweek. But my friend worked 60 hours or so a week. If you have any job skill at all (even without a college degree) you can go out and earn $10.00 per hour/40 hours a week. HCA is a bad investment, IMO. I would advise against doing it at all costs. It is true that the market is very over-saturated and the jobs you are expected to find will prove to be VERY hard.