+ Reply to Thread

Alexa - The Real Deal

Ok, I figure since SO many people here are pissed off at sham marketers, I'd give some advice.

I do this professionally btw, so feel free to call me on anything. I'll back up what I say, and show you the evidence.

First thing I'm going to deal with today is "ranking" sites. You know the ones, the sites that say "here's how many people visit this site per day. The most well known of these is Alexa, but there are others to (Compete.com for example).

Now, there's a huge problem with these things. They work on data being submitted, normally by a toolbar, sometimes by a plugin, sometimes by stealth software. But the data is always biased. Why? Because the only people who use the darn things are marketers!

Let me put it another way. If I get 100 people in a fish shop, and 90 of them buy fish, does that mean that 90% of the population want to buy my fish? No, it just means those people do. My data is skewed because the people I'm basing it on are all roughly the same. It's not a wide sample.

So, what do I recommend? Well, after you've been in this game long enough, you learn who the good sites are. If you want advice on SEO, I'd recommend visiting the following blogs:
    Matt Cutts
    SEOmoz
    David Naylor
    Shoe Money
    SugarRae
    ProNet

These people don't just deal in SEO, but PPC and all areas of SEM in general too. So go check them out.

However, that's not going to tell you how your traffic is. So, to find that out, I'd recommend Google Analytics. I recommend this to all my clients. It's a great piece of kit, AND it's free. As for how much traffic other sites get, who cares? Let go of the ego, and judge your performance on your bottom line.

I'll be back tomorrow evening, and every weekend, debunking myths and showing you how it's REALLY done, by someone who REALLY does it. Tomorrow's topic? PageRank.
    Pete Wailes | The Common Sense MarketerPete Wailes | The Common Sense Marketer

Re: Alexa - The Real Deal

Quote Originally Posted by TCSM View Post
    Ok, I figure since SO many people here are pissed off at sham marketers, I'd give some advice.

I do this professionally btw, so feel free to call me on anything. I'll back up what I say, and show you the evidence.

First thing I'm going to deal with today is "ranking" sites. You know the ones, the sites that say "here's how many people visit this site per day. The most well known of these is Alexa, but there are others to (Compete.com for example).

Now, there's a huge problem with these things. They work on data being submitted, normally by a toolbar, sometimes by a plugin, sometimes by stealth software. But the data is always biased. Why? Because the only people who use the darn things are marketers!

Let me put it another way. If I get 100 people in a fish shop, and 90 of them buy fish, does that mean that 90% of the population want to buy my fish? No, it just means those people do. My data is skewed because the people I'm basing it on are all roughly the same. It's not a wide sample.

So, what do I recommend? Well, after you've been in this game long enough, you learn who the good sites are. If you want advice on SEO, I'd recommend visiting the following blogs:
    Matt Cutts
    SEOmoz
    David Naylor
    Shoe Money
    SugarRae
    ProNet

These people don't just deal in SEO, but PPC and all areas of SEM in general too. So go check them out.

However, that's not going to tell you how your traffic is. So, to find that out, I'd recommend Google Analytics. I recommend this to all my clients. It's a great piece of kit, AND it's free. As for how much traffic other sites get, who cares? Let go of the ego, and judge your performance on your bottom line.

I'll be back tomorrow evening, and every weekend, debunking myths and showing you how it's REALLY done, by someone who REALLY does it. Tomorrow's topic? PageRank.

Your title lured me to believe you were going to talk about Alexa yet you do not even mention a word about them. You only recommend your SEO pals. Pretty dodgy if you ask me.