+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 35

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Within 20 years, robots will be the norm, in the home, and in a range of other areas.

    Robots are already capable of doing many tasks, and the Japs in particular love their robotics, however, in the time scale mentioned, I think that household robots, to free up more of our time for leisure, will be the norm.

    This is not such a far fetched idea, when you compare technology of today, to that of 86 for example. You can see how we have moved on in those two decades, you have to reason that in another two, it is entirely normal that housebots will free us from mundane chores, the way that the washing machine does today, for example, when once people used a mangle!

    I will go further, and speculate that these robots will also be used in formal areas, such as traffic guides, and even soldiers, or police. Such an idea is not so far away from reality, as one might think, imo.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Within 20 years, robots will be the norm, in the home, and in a range of other areas.

    Robots are already capable of doing many tasks, and the Japs in particular love their robotics, however, in the time scale mentioned, I think that household robots, to free up more of our time for leisure, will be the norm.

    This is not such a far fetched idea, when you compare technology of today, to that of 86 for example. You can see how we have moved on in those two decades, you have to reason that in another two, it is entirely normal that housebots will free us from mundane chores, the way that the washing machine does today, for example, when once people used a mangle!

    I will go further, and speculate that these robots will also be used in formal areas, such as traffic guides, and even soldiers, or police. Such an idea is not so far away from reality, as one might think, imo.
    The market and the law of supply and demand will dictate what products, robots or otherwise, are prevelent in the future. Like mathematics and physics, the laws of economics are cast in stone. In 86 the electric car was the vision of the future that would free us of our dependence on fossil fuels.
    In the early nineties, California passed a law that said that ten percent of all cars sold in the state must be electrically powered. After nobody wanted to buy the inefficiant, expensive vehicles the law had to be repealed a few years later. They just couldn't figure out which ten percent of the population should be arrested for breaking the law.
    Last edited by bogie; 12-12-2006 at 08:23 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    The market and the law of supply and demand will dictate what products, robots or otherwise, are prevelent in the future. Like mathematics and physics, the laws of economics are cast in stone.

    Not if we gravitate to a moneyless society, one were robots and computers will free us from the slavery of labour.

    That could be our future.

    More worryingly, it is probable that the military and the aggressive Governments of the US and others, would once more use this science for ill ends, perhaps developing cybermen to fight their wars for them.

    I understand that they have already invested $$$$ in developing this :(

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Not if we gravitate to a moneyless society, one were robots and computers will free us from the slavery of labour.

    That could be our future.

    More worryingly, it is probable that the military and the aggressive Governments of the US and others, would once more use this science for ill ends, perhaps developing cybermen to fight their wars for them.

    I understand that they have already invested $$$$ in developing this :(

    After the 9/11 attacks on us we're developing everything we can to ensure that it never happens again. I don't know where you live but unless your country is harboring terrorists, you have nothing to fear from the US.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    After the 9/11 attacks on us we're developing everything we can to ensure that it never happens again. I don't know where you live but unless your country is harboring terrorists, you have nothing to fear from the US.
    What about those that are 'harbouring' in the White House?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    What about those that are 'harbouring' in the White House?

    Never mind. I thought I'd participate in an intellegent discussion of the topic. Your mind is obviously made up. Some day I may also have all the answers to what's wrong with the world. Until then I think we'll have to simply agree to disagree.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Never mind. I thought I'd participate in an intellegent discussion of the topic. Your mind is obviously made up. Some day I may also have all the answers to what's wrong with the world. Until then I think we'll have to simply agree to disagree.
    Are you a Republican Neo Con?

    Simple question.

    And, btw, there was nothing unintelligent in my assertion that the most dangerous terrorists around are in the AMERIKAN Government.
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    Are you a Republican Neo Con?

    Simple question.

    And, btw, there was nothing unintelligent in my assertion that the most dangerous terrorists around are in the AMERIKAN Government.
    Simple answer. No. And I won't bother you for your affiliations.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Simple answer. No. And I won't bother you for your affiliations.
    And yet you still think that there are 'terrorists' hanging around in every corner, just waiting to pounce on innocent America. What a naive person.

    If you want to find the killers for those that died in 9/11, look no further than the American Government, they murdered their own, to ensure that they could whip up a political storm to 'justify' their illegal invasion and murder in Iraq, etc.
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    And yet you still think that there are 'terrorists' hanging around in every corner, just waiting to pounce on innocent America. What a naive person.

    If you want to find the killers for those that died in 9/11, look no further than the American Government, they murdered their own, to ensure that they could whip up a political storm to 'justify' their illegal invasion and murder in Iraq, etc.
    For the life of me, I can't imagine that you have any idea what I "still think" from reading the few posts here. Terrorists hanging around every corner? Where did I say that? Innocent America? Where did I say that? Argue with yourself if you chose but I'm done. I ignore people who think they understand what I think. I already know what I think.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    the Japs
    "The Japs" huh, wow you're definitely into enlightenment.

    Robots are constantly being developed, and your prediction that they would be a household thing has been made many times over the last 100 years. I remember seeing an old advertisement from the 50s for robots in the home.
    As bogie said, there has to be a market, or at least the product needs to be desirable enough to create a new corner of the market for itself.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    After the 9/11 attacks on us we're developing everything we can to ensure that it never happens again. I don't know where you live but unless your country is harboring terrorists, you have nothing to fear from the US.
    This is what you said, the implications, at least to me, are clear.
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    "The Japs" huh, wow you're definitely into enlightenment.

    Robots are constantly being developed, and your prediction that they would be a household thing has been made many times over the last 100 years. I remember seeing an old advertisement from the 50s for robots in the home.
    As bogie said, there has to be a market, or at least the product needs to be desirable enough to create a new corner of the market for itself.
    What is wrong with the use of the term 'Jap'.

    It is a shortened term of the word Japanese.

    I am from Scotland, and get refered to as a 'Scot'.

    What's the difference?
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    This is what you said, the implications, at least to me, are clear.
    No, you've seen just a few of bogie's posts and decided to lump him into the 'ignorent American' stereotypical category. Just like I've lumped you into the 'gullible conspiracy theorist' category.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenment
    What is wrong with the use of the term 'Jap'.

    It is a shortened term of the word Japanese.

    I am from Scotland, and get refered to as a 'Scot'.

    What's the difference?
    The difference is the historical context of the term.
    People with brown skin often referred to themselves as niggers as well, before it was used as a derogatory term (now it's the distinctly different "nigga"), it's the same with the term Jap, which was used in the war as a derogatory term similar to "slope".
    Plus it's just ignorent to refer to a culturally diverse place such as Japan in such an all-encompassing way.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: Science Fiction...? Or not..?

    [QUOTE=SubJunk]The difference is the historical context of the term./QUOTE]


    Well, I did not intend it in that context.

    Okay?
    "Ethics" is simply a last-gasp attempt by deist conservatives and
    orthodox dogmatics to keep humanity in ignorance and obscurantism,
    through the well tried fermentation of fear, the fear of science and
    new technologies.
    There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
    it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Similar Threads

  1. Science Channel Support our Science Contest?
    By Contest Scams in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM
  2. I love classic science fiction novels
    By Pissed Off 2 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 05:09 PM
  3. Beyond Science-Fiction
    By Paladine in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM
  4. NASA piling garbage science on science fraud
    By aguest in forum Science Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
  5. Stranger Than Fiction?
    By dchristie in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •