+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mars Has Liquid Water, New Photos Suggest

Mars Has Liquid Water, New Photos Suggest
    Brian Handwerk
    for National Geographic News

December 6, 2006
    Evidence has been found that liquid water is flowing on Mars, NASA scientists announced today.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ars-water.html

Re: Mars Has Liquid Water, New Photos Suggest

water = Life
    scary thought

Quote Originally Posted by basit_jaaaani
    water = Life
    scary thought
    Well... not just yet. It is not known whether or not the water is capable of aiding in the formation of life. Perhaps it is too acidic??? Don't know... YET!
    It's very exciting news.

Why would you think it is a scary thought?

If they are just going off the photos, I think it is just as possible that it was just a landslide of fine silt. That can flow just as well as water..like sand through the hourglass...

snbforever Guest

All the scientific evidence points to the fact that water can't exist as a liquid on mars, just too cold, but ice? Yeah, of course.

And is Mars completely dead?

God Knows. The Viking Landers couldn't find even the smallest traces of bio-viable organics, nothing. The entire planet appears to be completely sterile, and inimicle to human or any other oxygen dependant life form.

So, what now? The future?

God Knows.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    If they are just going off the photos, I think it is just as possible that it was just a landslide of fine silt. That can flow just as well as water..like sand through the hourglass...
    True, but the possibility is there... based on the photo and the possibility that liquid water may exist underground... plus the agreed upon hypothesis that water once flowed on Mars.
    The possibility of a "flow" derives from liquid underground water having an 'ice plug' for lack of a better term, keeping it trapped. Pressure builds up and the plug eventually gives way... producing a flow that also washes debris down... for a short distance... until it freezes, plugs up again and the process starts over.
    There are still a lot of "if's" in the mix, but the possibility is truly exciting!!

Quote Originally Posted by snbforever
    All the scientific evidence points to the fact that water can't exist as a liquid on mars, just too cold, but ice? Yeah, of course.

And is Mars completely dead?

God Knows. The Viking Landers couldn't find even the smallest traces of bio-viable organics, nothing. The entire planet appears to be completely sterile, and inimicle to human or any other oxygen dependant life form.

So, what now? The future?

God Knows.

Peace.
    If god knows I sure wish he'd provide some evidence. Save us alot of time and money.

aegist, I think you are right...The second I saw those pictures in the news I knew it was just a landslide or something similar...

Whispering wind Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    True, but the possibility is there... based on the photo and the possibility that liquid water may exist underground... plus the agreed upon hypothesis that water once flowed on Mars.
    The possibility of a "flow" derives from liquid underground water having an 'ice plug' for lack of a better term, keeping it trapped. Pressure builds up and the plug eventually gives way... producing a flow that also washes debris down... for a short distance... until it freezes, plugs up again and the process starts over.
    There are still a lot of "if's" in the mix, but the possibility is truly exciting!!
    I HAVE a clue. This "HUGE Mars NEWS!" gave me a raging clue.

When your ready to beleive that our Government Is mainly freemason's and so Is NASA, then will you understand why It's so important to explore Mars.....

These Idiots think it's home as well as atlantis, and There GOD's are from MARS. and yeah Aliens are thrown in the mix as well...afterall thats the GOD's, Its pretty deep...you should look in to it.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=......-msgr&x=wrt

this opens up so many possibilities.
    I bet I can get laid now.

Marked as "A 'lunatic' has been talking about this for years on coast to coast am"
    http://www.enterprisemission.com/kelp.htm

He actually laid forth evidence and NASA ignored him because of his other theories. I'm sure many inventors out there had a ton of half baked ideas before they hit the big one.

BTW, some lunatics say we've never gone into space at all and it's all faked so who knows if there is water on Mars or if it's a big government hoax?
    Or is this is just nasa trying to cover the recent authentic images of human skulls found on the surface?

Thank God . . . . Looks like we might need a new planet soon.
    i wonder who will be the first to bottle it and sell it to us.

It's also possible that these channels were created by Liquid CO2 which may be more likely since CO2 is a liquid at that temperature and pressur
    Liquid CO2 can form at 5.1 atmospheric pressures or greater. So not naturally on Mars, or Earth for that matter, but it can still happen.

Apparently Liquid CO2 has a number of industrial and mining usages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

Many possiblities.

Why is the government suggesting the evidence of water ?

they would occasionally release some news, some tid-bit and then lesser mortals would cheer up and feel good without knowing that there's lot more that's never told them

Did humans originated from mars and made it here... just. Losing all technology (atlentis) and starting from scratch.

are there any hot martian women splashing around in it?

will Doom4 go underwater? :-)

Maybe instead of exploring the surface of Mars.. we should be more interested of whats underground... :)

The Soul Cube ?

BFG ?

Portals to Hell ? :eek:

There is a good chance that there is liquid water, it's just below the surface.

So there may be underground martian cities!

If they found intelegent life would they let us know ?
    or have they probly have found intelegent life BUT havent told us ?

When they find OIL,
    Will the CIA say that the Martians will go nuclear within 3 years ?

Will it make terraforming easier ? if there is already some liquid water to start off with.

Is Mars the biggest waste of money. the human race has ever wasted ?

He we got the technology to do anything with mars.?
    ..if we had the means to send man and bigger item of equipment then yes... we havent even done anything with the moon yet...
    Last edited by Whispering wind; 12-16-2006 at 09:38 AM.

The 'Secret Government'...yes I said it, isnt going to make the mistake of letting the public know there is life on mars, not until their goals are secured!?... or at least thats what they think!?...ever wonder why we havnt publicly been back to the moon yet?...I'll bet you this much, it has nothing to do with money or technological issues and everything to do with the PUBLIC, or lack of; lack of the public EYE that is... it's all about CONTROL...hehe think about it!

Whispering wind Guest

You think this 'water' could really be vodka ?

I suppose if it was vodka the Russians would be there by now opening up somke mars bars to keep you warm on those cold martain nights.

A Martian-tini ?
    Schtirring thought.

" Oh to live on, Vodka Mountain
    with the Martians in the bars of Barsoom
    Oh to live on, Vodka Mountain
    Even though you know, you're leaving them no room."

Apologies to Neil Young, and Eddy "Rizzzle" Burroughs.

in the cosmology of beelzebub the absolute is followed by 3,then six,then 12,then 24,then 48 then 96!?laws of creation!?and the moon of earth is the location of the 96 laws!?and all material creation serves the nourishment of the moon!?the earth is 48,all planets is 24,the sun is 12,all suns is six,this accounts for the seen!?the material/matter!?the remaining is the realm of the unseen,the unmatter!?the ineffible!?which i "ef" about alot!?but what is the fascination with mars!?just one thing!?sanctuary for the efin able at the country club of country clubs!?not by choice but of necessity!?the moon will never cut it and it's to close to good ol' "prison new york"/day worlds collide/earth anyway!?hehe!!.....just askin.....

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Well... not just yet. It is not known whether or not the water is capable of aiding in the formation of life. Perhaps it is too acidic??? Don't know... YET!
    It's very exciting news.

Why would you think it is a scary thought?
    If you look at the vocanic vents in the mid-pacific ocean you will find creatures thriving in waters spewing from these volcanic vents. The acidity is around 2 pH and the temperature is around 700 C (1300 F) Thee creatures do not require sunlight to survive. They are not bottom feeders, but they seem to use the chemicals coming from the vents to extract the energy essential to life.

In the ultimate cold climates of the south pole we have found 6" long worms that push their way through frozen ice sheets and live on tiny bacteria growing in the ice.

On Earth, anywhere you see water, you see life. Perhaps some bacteria attached to the first few probes made the journey and WE have infected mars with earth-life already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    If you look at the vocanic vents in the mid-pacific ocean you will find creatures thriving in waters spewing from these volcanic vents. The acidity is around 2 pH and the temperature is around 700 C (1300 F) Thee creatures do not require sunlight to survive. They are not bottom feeders, but they seem to use the chemicals coming from the vents to extract the energy essential to life.

In the ultimate cold climates of the south pole we have found 6" long worms that push their way through frozen ice sheets and live on tiny bacteria growing in the ice.

On Earth, anywhere you see water, you see life. Perhaps some bacteria attached to the first few probes made the journey and WE have infected mars with earth-life already.
    That's very possible. The ocean vents is just one example... another... shortly after Mt. St. Helens erupted it was decided to leave the blast area completely alone (the opportunity to see how life returned was too great). One of the very first life forms was chemical based... very similar to the vent colonies.
    As I said... there are still a lot of "If's" to contend with... at this point it is still hypothetical. The pic could have just been a landslide... it could have been water... a Martian could have stopped to take a piss... We just don't know. But if the hypothesis proves out it will be the first instance of liquid water, outside of the Earth, discovered.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

That's very possible. The ocean vents is just one example... another... shortly after Mt. St. Helens erupted it was decided to leave the blast area completely alone (the opportunity to see how life returned was too great). One of the very first life forms was chemical based... very similar to the vent colonies.
    As I said... there are still a lot of "If's" to contend with... at this point it is still hypothetical. The pic could have just been a landslide... it could have been water... a Martian could have stopped to take a piss... We just don't know. But if the hypothesis proves out it will be the first instance of liquid water, outside of the Earth, discovered.
    Hardly. One of the moons of Jupiter (Europa I think and I'm too lazy to look it up) has a liquid water center. It is mostly water with a solid ice crust. The gravitational forces of Jupiter stir up the water with such force that it stays liquid.

Venus has plenty of water too, but it never makes it to the surface but it does rain down part of the way before vaporizing and going back up.