+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kudos To Homeland Security!!!!!!

A new full-body x-ray machine to be tested this month at a US airport has raised concerns about privacy issues with some rights advocates saying the technology amounts to a virtual strip search.
    The "Backscatter" machine to be used at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in Arizona will enable screeners to detect non-metallic devices and objects as well as weapons on a person's body, authorities say.

But critics, including the American Civil Liberties Union, say the machine can display graphic images of nude bodies and its use will pave the way to widespread abuse of the images taken, with some possibly being posted or traded on the Internet.

Federal officials, however, have downplayed such concerns saying that screeners will be able to blur out a person's genitals and that the x-ray image will be erased from the screen once a passenger is cleared through the machine.

The Transportation Security Officer operating the system will also not be able to print, store or transmit the image and will be viewing the x-ray in an area not visible to the public.

Officials said "Backscatter" will be a voluntary option for passengers undergoing secondary screening and is an alternative to the physical pat down procedures currently conducted at security checkpoints.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/1....yi5mw8je.html
    Last edited by franKg; 12-05-2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Re: Kudos To Homeland Security!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    A new full-body x-ray machine to be tested this month at a US airport has raised concerns about privacy issues with some rights advocates saying the technology amounts to a virtual strip search.
    The "Backscatter" machine to be used at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in Arizona will enable screeners to detect non-metallic devices and objects as well as weapons on a person's body, authorities say.

But critics, including the American Civil Liberties Union, say the machine can display graphic images of nude bodies and its use will pave the way to widespread abuse of the images taken, with some possibly being posted or traded on the Internet.

Federal officials, however, have downplayed such concerns saying that screeners will be able to blur out a person's genitals and that the x-ray image will be erased from the screen once a passenger is cleared through the machine.

The Transportation Security Officer operating the system will also not be able to print, store or transmit the image and will be viewing the x-ray in an area not visible to the public.

Officials said "Backscatter" will be a voluntary option for passengers undergoing secondary screening and is an alternative to the physical pat down procedures currently conducted at security checkpoints.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/1....yi5mw8je.html

Hey, Frankie.. It looks like you've finally found the perfect avatar for yourself.

It's much more appropriate for you than that Hollywood-New York "librul" DeNiro.

Notice the absence of any palpable material between the ears.

It's perfect.

Technology is nice but not as good as trained people. A lot of what Homeland In-security does is windowdressing and feel-good for the public.

Anytime I hear "Homeland", I get the urge to raise my fist and yell, "Long Live The Homeland!", three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted
    Technology is nice but not as good as trained people. A lot of what Homeland In-security does is windowdressing and feel-good for the public.

Anytime I hear "Homeland", I get the urge to raise my fist and yell, "Long Live The Homeland!", three times.

Fist??? Wouldn't an outstretched arm with flat handed palm facing downwards be more appropriate?

didnt the nazis use that term too?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusted

Polly want a cracker?

Sounds like an excellent way to keep people from flying or providing additional content for adult web sites.

more info...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray

sorry, but i dont want to see that machine at my airport. ACLU has it right (this time).

Quote Originally Posted by Wizywyg
    sorry, but i dont want to see that machine at my airport. ACLU has it right (this time).
    Don't you people know how to read?

It can only be used on you, if you agree to it. That explains the "voluntary option for passengers" line in that story.

Can we read? Why yes we can, thanks for asking :)

I've been through the secondary physical "pat-down" search and it is not all that bad. You stand in a little glass room with your arms out and palms up while you're pat down searched. As well, chemical swabs are taken of your palms to search for traces of explosive chemicals. It is not nearly as invasive as this device would be. Though it might be a kick for exhibitionists going on a trip. :D

TheWorker Guest

if its voluntary then i dont see the big deal. hack, you might find some wahckos that will be into this type of thing..exhibitionists and whatnot...

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker
    if its voluntary then i dont see the big deal. hack, you might find some wahckos that will be into this type of thing..exhibitionists and whatnot...
    It's voluntary for now. What happens when it becomes mandatory in the next couple of years?

And what's to say that it really is just voluntary? We didn't know our phone conversations to relatives or friends overseas were being monitored once until someone blew the whistle.

I won't be flying. And if we don't agree with this kind of procedure, we can make the difference by not flying. Hurt the pocket book and we have power.

I've been through pat downs, it's like Paul says, they aren't so bad and less invasive. All an x-ray is going to do is show whether someone has a bomb shoved up their anas or in their guts. If that's a problem, carrying M47's up ones anas, we are dealing with some very determined nutcases. LOL.

Lady Mod
    Last edited by sojustask; 12-05-2006 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    It's voluntary for now. What happens when it becomes mandatory in the next couple of years?
    Lady Mod
    The democrats run the show now in the house and senate lady mod, have you forgotten that?

This issue falls under the category of "protecting America against terrorist attacks", so there is no way in hell the democrats would ever support such a thing.

Besides, you are making an argument that isn't based on what is proposed, but rather what might be proposed in the future. How can you justify such a stand?

Let me ask a couple questions...

Is the ability to fly upon an airliner owned by AA, United, or some other carrier a "right" protected by the US constitution?
    Or is the right to freely travel across state lines the "right" which is protected......and the method of travel is really a matter of personal choice?

The ability to fly on an airliner is more a privlege based on the ability to pay the ticket price and abide by the rules of the airline and the FAA. Either organization can remove your ability to fly...
    So, if an airline demands customers take a full body x-ray as a means to:
    #1 protect their asset (the plane), and
    #2 protect themselves and us from potential terrorist activity isn't that their right? It's their plane...

As for the matter of privacy...I don't see the issue. You do NOT have to fly. You can walk, bike, drive, take the train, take a boat, or travel in any other means available that you choose.

PLUS...By simply choosing to fly you give up your right to privacy. Afterall, they can search your bag, your persons and pretty much anything else before allowing you on the plane.

I agree with Lady Mod...if you don't like it, don't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jreed
    Let me ask a couple questions...

Is the ability to fly upon an airliner owned by AA, United, or some other carrier a "right" protected by the US constitution?
    Or is the right to freely travel across state lines the "right" which is protected......and the method of travel is really a matter of personal choice?

The ability to fly on an airliner is more a privlege based on the ability to pay the ticket price and abide by the rules of the airline and the FAA. Either organization can remove your ability to fly...
    So, if an airline demands customers take a full body x-ray as a means to:
    #1 protect their asset (the plane), and
    #2 protect themselves and us from potential terrorist activity isn't that their right? It's their plane...

As for the matter of privacy...I don't see the issue. You do NOT have to fly. You can walk, bike, drive, take the train, take a boat, or travel in any other means available that you choose.

PLUS...By simply choosing to fly you give up your right to privacy. Afterall, they can search your bag, your persons and pretty much anything else before allowing you on the plane.

I agree with Lady Mod...if you don't like it, don't fly.
    In essence I agree with you... there is no law saying you have to fly to get from point A to point B. It is also NOT a constitutional right... and airlines do have the right to dictate the te rms under which one can use their service.
    Regarding the privacy issue, I take it you don't have any problem walking nude past the security inspectors (which is basically what backscatter x-rays cause) as opposed to the less invasive 'pat-down' search? You gotta be loads of fun at parties :)

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    The democrats run the show now in the house and senate lady mod, have you forgotten that?
    I hope that they don't. There are bigger issues than planes that aren't protected. Like, borders, ports, trains, busses. :D

This issue falls under the category of "protecting America against terrorist attacks", so there is no way in hell the democrats would ever support such a thing.
    Good. Because protecting Americans is not the purpose of the searches. Limiting Americans and getting them accustomed without protesting to such invasions of privacy are. It's exactly how the communists said they would infiltrate our country. Not with bombs, but over time, little by little until we have nothing left to remember our freedoms by.

Besides, you are making an argument that isn't based on what is proposed, but rather what might be proposed in the future. How can you justify such a stand?
    I wasn't making an argument. I was posing a question and giving my opinion. And I can justify it a whole lot easier than you can your stand on every bad being "liberal" generated. :rolleyes:

Lady Mod