+ Reply to Thread

Pelosi lies and NBC rolls with it.

Asked by a reporter about how "President Bush today blamed the surge of violence in Iraq on al Qaeda," incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi responded with a disjointed answer about how "the 9/11 Commission dismissed that notion a long time ago and I feel sad that the President is resorting to it again." Though al-Qaeda is clearly in Iraq and responsible for deadly bombings, and the 9/11 Commission conclusion was about links before September 11th, on Tuesday's NBC Nightly News reporter David Gregory treated Pelosi's off-base retort as credible and relevant. Without suggesting any miscue by her, Gregory segued to Pelosi's soundbite with a bewildering set up of his own about how "incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi disagreed, warning that such rhetoric about al Qaeda will make it harder for Democrats to work with the White House."

On FNC's Special Report with Brit Hume, after panelist Mara Liasson characterized Pelosi as "confused" and Morton Kondracke suggested she was just "mixed up," Fred Barnes maintained that "she clearly screwed up here. The question was absolutely clear. 'President Bush today blamed the surge in violence in Iraq.'" Barnes argued the media wouldn't let a Republican get away with such a flub, telling Kondracke: "If some Republican had done this, if Bush had done this at a press conference, if Newt Gingrich had said it, if John Boehner had said it, if Roy Blunt had said it, you'd have been all over it. It would be inexcusable."

Neither ABC's World News or the CBS Evening News played the Pelosi soundbite.

http://newsbusters.org/node/9314

More media bias 101... Don't thank me democrats, we all know how concerned with the media being accurate and holding our politicians in Washington accountable for their words, so no need to thank me.

Re: Pelosi lies and NBC rolls with it.

Which bombings are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    Which bombings are you referring to?
    Huh?

Are you actually questioning whether al-Qaeda is actively fighting in Iraq?

What does this have to do with Pelosi lying and NBC allowing her to do so without question? How about your comment on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Huh?

Are you actually questioning whether al-Qaeda is actively fighting in Iraq?

What does this have to do with Pelosi lying and NBC allowing her to do so without question? How about your comment on that?

No, I am asking which bombings are being referred to, clearly. I'm saying I need the proper, full context. Do you have a problem with that?

No, I am asking which bombings are being referred to, clearly. I'm saying I need the proper, full context. Do you have a problem with that?
    Yes, I do... Which exact attacks were from al-Qaeda have nothing what so ever to do with this story. If you accept that al-Qaeda is taking part in the violence in Iraq, that's all that matters here.

Pelosi claimed that the president saying al-Qaeda is involved in the fighting in Iraq was debunked by the 9/11 commission. That's a lie, and that's the issue here.

Yes, I do... Which exact attacks were from al-Qaeda have nothing what so ever to do with this story. If you accept that al-Qaeda is taking part in the violence in Iraq, that's all that matters here.

Pelosi claimed that the president saying al-Qaeda is involved in the fighting in Iraq was debunked by the 9/11 commission. That's a lie, and that's the issue here.
    You're assuming all kinds of bias out of me, when all I want is proper context. I just asked which bombings were being referred to by Bush/Pelosi.

Which bombings are being referred to would help me know which ones to look up in the 9/11 commission, or whether it's post-9/11 commsion. In which case, I'd have to weigh analysis from many experts/generals, etc.

These are completely legitimate questions for me to ask. Your inability to see the questions as legitimate, and your defensiveness, speaks volumes.

You're assuming all kinds of bias out of me, when all I want is proper context. I just asked which bombings were being referred to by Bush/Pelosi.

Which bombings are being referred to would help me know which ones to look up in the 9/11 commission, or whether it's post-9/11 commission. In which case, I'd have to weigh analysis from many experts/generals, etc.

These are completely legitimate questions for me to ask. Your inability to see the questions as legitimate, and your defensiveness, speaks volumes.
    You must not have read the entire story.

The 9/11 commission's report dealt with al-Qaeda's presence in Iraq pre-9/11, and the presidents comments were about the current situation in Iraq. Nancy Pelosi's comments were in response to the presidents comments about the situation going on today in Iraq. She claims that the president is lying because the 9/11 report says al-Qaeda isn't in Iraq.

She is full of it, and as you can now see, which exact bombings al-Qaeda is responsible for recently is totally irrelevant to this post. You have already agreed that al-Qaeda is taking part in the current violence and that is all the detail required to discern the point of this post.

I'd like to know what documented proof we have that al-quaeda is attacking us in Iraq, and it's not just a bunch of pissed of Iraqis...

You must not have read the entire story.

The 9/11 commission's report dealt with al-Qaeda's presence in Iraq pre-9/11, and the presidents comments were about the current situation in Iraq. Nancy Pelosi's comments were in response to the presidents comments about the situation going on today in Iraq. She claims that the president is lying because the 9/11 report says al-Qaeda isn't in Iraq.

She is full of it, and as you can now see, which exact bombings al-Qaeda is responsible for recently is totally irrelevant to this post. You have already agreed that al-Qaeda is taking part in the current violence and that is all the detail required to discern the point of this post.
    I have not agreed that Al-Qaeda is responsible for the bombings that made the news over the past 2-3 weeks. I do not have enough information to come to that conclusion.

I am actually asking you for more context in order to come to any conclusion, which you may have noticed is akin to pulling teeth.

I read the available information, and I'm trying to figure out the most PERTINENT issue that could be raised by this. Is it true that the recent attacks, like the one a week or two ago that took 200+ lives, consitute Al-Qaeda attacks (if that organization even exists in the manner US intel says) or whether it's more Sunni/Shia civil strife. If Al-Qaeda is involved in such, to what degree?

If you people are actually suggesting that Al-Qaeda has nothing to do with any of the bombings in Iraq, you deserve to be lied to by Pelosi. You can all pretend that the Al-Qaeda leader we killed there was just a figment of everyones imagination.

PELOSI SAID THAT THE 9/11 COMMISSION PROVES PRESIDENT BUSH LIED AND AL-QAEDA WASN'T IN IRAQ. SHE IS A LIAR!

End of story!

If you people are actually suggesting that Al-Qaeda has nothing to do with any of the bombings in Iraq, you deserve to be lied to by Pelosi. You can all pretend that the Al-Qaeda leader we killed there was just a figment of everyones imagination.

PELOSI SAID THAT THE 9/11 COMMISSION PROVES PRESIDENT BUSH LIED AND AL-QAEDA WASN'T IN IRAQ. SHE IS A LIAR!

End of story!
    Look, is it possible for two people who have opposing opinions on this war to have a civil, legitimate discussion about things that actually matter?

If every discussion we have is going to have a partisan line drawn in the sand, every time, and devolve into questioning patriotism, values, etc, I fear I will have to be done with speaking to you in general.

I think a lot of people in this forum, left and right, could use a basic civics course.

Look, is it possible for two people who have opposing opinions on this war to have a civil, legitimate discussion about things that actually matter?

If every discussion we have is going to have a partisan line drawn in the sand, every time, and devolve into questioning patriotism, values, etc, I fear I will have to be done with speaking to you in general.

I think a lot of people in this forum, left and right, could use a basic civics course.
    I tried civility, but it got me nowhere!

The issue is "did Pelosi lie?"

Pelosi said "the 9/11 Commission dismissed that notion a long time ago (that al-Qaeda is responsible for bombings in Iraq) and I feel sad that the President is resorting to it again."

The 9/11 commission dismissed the notion that al-Qaeda was in Iraq prior to 9/11/2001. How exactly could the 9/11 commission back in it's 2004 report, determine whether al-Qaeda was responsible for bombings taking place in 2006?

The answer is... "they couldn't have"

So, did Nancy Pelosi lie when she stated that the findings of the 9/11 commissions 2004 report, prove president Bush's claim that al-Qaeda is responsible for bombings going on now in Iraq, are false?

Can you simply answer that?

That is all this gd thread is about, yet you want to take off in some other, totally irrelevant direction. Was Pelosi's response to the president accurate? The answer is "No"... Did NBC's David Gregory allow her inaccurate statement to not only stand, but to add his own 2 cents about what will likely result from the claim he accepted as fact? "Yes".

There is nothing more to discern here.

I'm not going to sit here and defend this woman as I think most politicians will lie through their teeth when need be, but I seem to remember watching Bush give a speech on a naval carrier declaring victory in Iraq. I don't see you screaming Bush lied.

Don't worry Grim, your side will have it's chance to dig up lots of dirt on dems (and the media will eat it up) as soon as they take power. In case you haven't noticed the media love the shock and awe campain. They've been digging up dirt on republicans since the war has been an issue so they'll get more viewers. They'll be digging up crap on the dems and speading it like wildfire as soon as the story is old (dems beating republicans). It's almost comical if it wasn't so pathetic.