+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Reading Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by franKg
    And who is also a Bush-hater
    '

Actually, she isn't. She just had some things she saw that she questioned.

And since you haven't even bothered to learn more about her creditials, you are stating an opinion based on assumption alone? Tsk, tsk. I thought you once said that you only stated opinions based on facts?

Lady Mod

Ok , even though I've stated these many times before

Generally we need more wiretapping, closely monitor things like who buys disponsable cell phones or any articles that can be used for a terrorist attack

We need to hold the NY Times or any newspaper accountable (along with the leakers of course) for disclosing sensitive infromation and be made to divulge the source in these cases

We need to fund more star-wars programs and concentrate on our missle defense program, there's no way we stop all these countries from obataining nukes

We need to cut the UN loose, they are a sham and become useless IMO

All airline passengers should be issued firearms

and yes we need tighter border and shipping port controls, this is one area where Bush definetly has dropped the ball
    Sounds like you want a modern version of Nazi Germany!

Would we all have to call you Fuhrer Frank?
    Last edited by Dawud; 01-02-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    '

Actually, she isn't. She just had some things she saw that she questioned.

And since you haven't even bothered to learn more about her creditials, you are stating an opinion based on assumption alone? Tsk, tsk. I thought you once said that you only stated opinions based on facts?

Lady Mod

That she questioned? hah!

Lady Mod , she is just another "Bush - lied " wackbag without one shred of proof
    http://www.impeachbush.tv/editorials...ga_060421.html

She has about the same credibility as Cindy Sheehan , Harry Belafonte, Hugo Chavez or Ward Chuchill

she's just looking to earn a fast buck off gullible schmucks like you LM

If she had proof , why did she wait 4 years , but hey , don't let that stop you from reading it , everyone likes a good fiction right ?

Namaste
    Last edited by franKg; 01-02-2007 at 11:29 PM.
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Quote Originally Posted by Dawud
    Sounds like you want a modern version of Nazi Germany!

Would we all have to call you Fuhrer Frank?
    So I take it you don't want to protect this country from terrorist attack

Got it
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Lady Mod , she is just another "Bush - lied " wackbag without one shred of proof

She has about the same credibility as Cindy Sheehan , Harry Belafonte, Hugo Chavez or Ward Chuchill

If she had proof , why did she wait 4 years , but hey , don't let that stop you from reading it , everyone likes a good fiction right ?

Namaste

Gullible? ROFLMAO. Odd you would call me "gullible" when most of America sent your hero a very loud message about his war just this past September.

The only "Gullible" ones frankie are those who keep insisting how innocent and pure Mr. Bush is. That would include sorry sacks like yourself who continue to wear blinders.

Thanks for the laugh! ;)

Lady Mod

Namaste
    I think the most interesting thing to come out of the book, so far is the fact that the only witnesses called are parts of the smaller gears. Those that don't have a particular agenda or don't need to cover up any facts and that goes a long way to establishing their credibility, regardless of who writes their testimony down.

When you look at their testimony, you get the feeling that not only was the decision to invade Iraq & remove Hussein made before any "evidence" pertaining to WMD's or Husseins' links to Bin Laden became apparent, but the decision was'nt made by Bush himself. It seems the plans were drawn up long before Bush actually called for them.

I guess that's why Ms de la Vega has included the et al to the charges..(et al, of course being the core of the PNAC movement.)

I think most people on this forum know I am not anti-Bush. In fact, in the past, I have vehemently defended his decision to invade Iraq. I still feel it was the right thing to do. Saddam Hussein was an evil bastard, capable of anything, and needed to be removed. IMO he should have been popped in the head when he was found cowering in his rat-hole.

The thing is, I am grown up enough to accept that if the Government has used subterfuge and deception to justify it's actions, it is wrong. It shows a contempt for the American people and a disregard for the principles this country was founded on.

I have not made my final decision on the guilt or otherwise of Bush et al (or whether OR NOT the actions are impeachable) because I have'nt finished the book, but the way it's looking, even Perry Mason would have difficulty getting the defendants off the hook in this case. (and Perry Mason NEVER lost a case).

It would also be nice if anyone wants to comment on the book itself, that they get a copy and read it first.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by catch-22
    I think the most interesting thing to come out of the book, so far is the fact that the only witnesses called are parts of the smaller gears. Those that don't have a particular agenda or don't need to cover up any facts and that goes a long way to establishing their credibility, regardless of who writes their testimony down.

When you look at their testimony, you get the feeling that not only was the decision to invade Iraq & remove Hussein made before any "evidence" pertaining to WMD's or Husseins' links to Bin Laden became apparent, but the decision was'nt made by Bush himself. It seems the plans were drawn up long before Bush actually called for them.

I guess that's why Ms de la Vega has included the et al to the charges..(et al, of course being the core of the PNAC movement.)

I think most people on this forum know I am not anti-Bush. In fact, in the past, I have vehemently defended his decision to invade Iraq. I still feel it was the right thing to do. Saddam Hussein was an evil bastard, capable of anything, and needed to be removed. IMO he should have been popped in the head when he was found cowering in his rat-hole.

The thing is, I am grown up enough to accept that if the Government has used subterfuge and deception to justify it's actions, it is wrong. It shows a contempt for the American people and a disregard for the principles this country was founded on.

I have not made my final decision on the guilt or otherwise of Bush et al (or whether OR NOT the actions are impeachable) because I have'nt finished the book, but the way it's looking, even Perry Mason would have difficulty getting the defendants off the hook in this case. (and Perry Mason NEVER lost a case).

It would also be nice if anyone wants to comment on the book itself, that they get a copy and read it first.

:)
    Here's another good book, it helps fill in the blanks.

Against All Enemies; Inside America's War on Terror
    by Richard A. Clarke

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

Few political memoirs have made such a dramatic entrance as that by Richard A. Clarke. During the week of the initial publication of Against All Enemies, Clarke was featured on 60 Minutes, testified before the 9/11 commission, and touched off a raging controversy over how the presidential administration handled the threat of terrorism and the post-9/11 geopolitical landscape. Clarke, a veteran Washington insider who had advised presidents Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Clinton, and George W. Bush, dissects each man's approach to terrorism but levels the harshest criticism at the latter Bush and his advisors who, Clarke asserts, failed to take terrorism and Al-Qaeda seriously. Clarke details how, in light of mounting intelligence of the danger Al-Qaeda presented, his urgent requests to move terrorism up the list of priorities in the early days of the administration were met with apathy and procrastination and how, after the attacks took place, Bush and key figures such as Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and Dick Cheney turned their attention almost immediately to Iraq, a nation not involved in the attacks. Against All Enemies takes the reader inside the Beltway beginning with the Reagan administration, who failed to retaliate against the 1982 Beirut bombings, fueling the perception around the world that the United States was vulnerable to such attacks. Terrorism becomes a growing but largely ignored threat under the first President Bush, whom Clarke cites for his failure to eliminate Saddam Hussein, thereby necessitating a continued American presence in Saudi Arabia that further inflamed anti-American sentiment. Clinton, according to Clarke, understood the gravity of the situation and became increasingly obsessed with stopping Al-Qaeda. He had developed workable plans but was hamstrung by political infighting and the sex scandal that led to his impeachment. But Bush and his advisers, Clarke says, didn't get it before 9/11 and they didn't get it after, taking a unilateral approach that seemed destined to lead to more attacks on Americans and American interests around the world. Clarke's inside accounts of what happens in the corridors of power are fascinating and the book, written in a compelling, highly readable style, at times almost seems like a fiction thriller. But the threat of terrorism and the consequences of Bush's approach to it feel very sobering and very real. --John Moe

From Publishers Weekly
    From the first thrilling chapter, which takes readers into the White House center of operations on September 11, through his final negative assessment of George W. Bush’s post-9/11 war on terror, Clarke, the U.S.’s former terrorism czar, offers a complex and illuminating look into the successes and failures of the nation’s security apparatus. He offers charged (and, one must note, for himself triumphant) insider scenes, such as when he scared the devil out of Clinton’s Cabinet to motivate them to fight terrorism. The media has understandably focused on Clarke’s charge that Bush neglected terrorism before the attacks on New York and Washington; but Clarke also offers a longer perspective on the issue, going back to the first Gulf War (when he was an assistant secretary of state) and makes some stunning revelations. One of the latter is that the U.S. came close to war with Iran over that country’s role in the terrorist bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia in 1996. An important aspect of Clarke’s book is that it is only one man’s account—and an account moreover that casts its author as hero and others (FBI, CIA, the military) as screw-ups; as has been seen in recent congressional hearings, administration officials (notably, Condoleezza Rice) have challenged its veracity. But those inclined to believe Clarke will find that he makes a devastating case about the Bush administration’s failure from the beginning (when Clarke’s position was downgraded and he was taken off the top-level Principals Committee) to make terrorism as high a priority as Clinton’s did. In the face of the Bush team’s claim that they didn’t know about a threat to the homeland, readers will be haunted by two small words: after mobilizing to confront the Millennium terror threat, Clarke reached what seemed to him the obvious conclusion regarding al-Qaeda: "They’re here."
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

About the Author
    Richard A. Clarke was appointed by President Clinton as the first National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism in May 1998, and continued in that position under George W. Bush. Until March 2003 he was a career member of the Senior Executive Service, having begun his federal service in 1973 in the Office of the Secretary of Defense as an analyst on nuclear weapons and European security issues. In the Reagan Administration, Mr. Clarke was the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Intelligence. In the first Bush Administration, he was the Assistant Secretary of State for Politico-Military Affairs and then a member of his NSC Staff. He served for eight years as a Special Assistant to President Clinton and served as National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism for both President Clinton and President George W. Bush. From 2001 to 2003, he was the Special Advisor to the President for Cyberspace Security and Chairman of the President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board. He is now chairman of Good Harbor Consulting. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Here's a book for ya'll :)

"Picture gallery of Americans offering apologies to the world for George Bush's re-election."

www.sorryeverybody.com
    Last edited by kravenscookiejar; 02-15-2007 at 06:32 PM.