+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

People belive the Stupidest Things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

A cargo cult is any of a group of religious movements in Melanesia, in the Southwestern Pacific, which believe that manufactured western goods ('cargo') have been created by ancestral spirits and intended for Melanesian people. Cult members believe that white people, however, have unfairly gained control of these objects. Cargo cults thus focus on overcoming what they perceive as undue 'white' influences by conducting rituals similar to the white behavior they have observed, presuming that the ancestors will at last recognize their own and send them cargo. Thus a characteristic feature of cargo cults is the belief that spiritual agents will at some future time give much valuable cargo and desirable manufactured products to the cult members.

How bizarre....

i want to see people list all of the most bizarre religious systems they know of. I'm sure some of them are incredibly ridiculous

Re: People belive the Stupidest Things

That's a good one. How bout' this. A fellow a couple thousand years ago tells a bunch of folks he's the son of god. Has to be true, you see, because his mother was a virgin. Actually, it's not difficult to understand why he feels this way because he, more than anybody of his time, has figured out that treating others as you would have them treat you is a pretty good way to live your life. In fact, if more people would get on board with this golden rule then the world would be a better place.

The guy inspired many a folk, me included, and indeed, a good many worthy causes have been fostered in his name. Unfortunately, a bunch of fanatics began to organize themselves into this congregation of judgemental psycopaths and began persicuting anybody who didn't feel just like them. Seems they feared leaving this life with nowhere to go but back into the carbon molecules that they came from so they dreamed up this place called heaven. But here's the real kicker. You have to believe that this original fella is indeed the son of god, just like they do, or you don't get to go to heaven, you get to go to hell.

And to top it all off, if you do screw up, all you have to do is ask for forgiveness because it turns out that this fellow we were talking about a couple thousand years ago, well he paid for all of our sins already. So in 1944 if there was this little jewish girl being led to the gas chamber in Auschwitz by a guard, that little girl will end up burning in hell for eternity because her folks taught her something other than that Jesus is the son of god. But the nazi guard simply has to ask for forgiveness for his sins and the son of a gun gets to go to heaven.

How weird is that?

Much more bizarre than the cargo cult. You win.

Bogie, I actually did laugh out loud at that one :)

"How weird is that?"

Or was it Dionysis, Isis, Osiris....Mythras?
    Hmmm...

I expected the christian mythology to be posted, but it was played too soon. You need to talk about all of the other obviously stupid religions first, THEN talk about how ridiculous christianity, judaism and islam are.

The cargo cults are so stupid from al of our points of view, because we can see how stupid it is praying to ficticious americans to bring cargo.

how about scientology? From Wikipedia:

Some central tenets of Scientology:

A person is an immortal spiritual being (termed a thetan) who possesses a mind and a body.
    The thetan has lived through many past lives and will continue to live beyond the death of the body.
    Through the Scientology process of "auditing", one can free oneself of "engrams" and "implants" to reach the state of "Clear", and after that, the state of "Operating Thetan". Each state is said to represent recovering the native spiritual abilities of the individual, and to confer dramatic mental and physical benefits.
    A person is basically good, but becomes "aberrated" by moments of pain and unconsciousness in his or her life.
    What is true for you is what you have observed yourself. No beliefs should be forced as "true" on anyone. Thus, the tenets of Scientology are expected to be tested and seen to either be true or not by Scientology practitioners.
    Psychiatry and psychology are evil and abusive practices

And that doesn't even get into the alien races that were banished by the evil overlord alien...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

rediculous,stupid,etc!?.......how can a truly scientific mind fail to consider all that it ecounters as being indicative of some part of the whole of existance!?all judgements are solely based on preferences!?and those aquired!?certainly science cannot agree or claim to fully understand the workings of the body/mind!?and without this certainty,it's all up in the air!?but with all the information that is available for consideration from time immemorial,it just floors me the amount of ignorance displayed by those that claim knowledge!?the scientology primer by ageless rings very true with what i have studied in all claimed fields of knowledge.for instance.....science has named a certain brainwave pattern a THETA wave!?and as to psychiatry it is merely an attemp at applying the psycology of philosophy!?with the definition of psycology being the understanding of the inner workings of the head or mind!?(your own!?)hehe!!......just....askin...

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    rediculous,stupid,etc!?.......how can a truly scientific mind fail to consider all that it ecounters as being indicative of some part of the whole of existance!?all judgements are solely based on preferences!?and those aquired!?certainly science cannot agree or claim to fully understand the workings of the body/mind!?and without this certainty,it's all up in the air!?but with all the information that is available for consideration from time immemorial,it just floors me the amount of ignorance displayed by those that claim knowledge!?the scientology primer by ageless rings very true with what i have studied in all claimed fields of knowledge.for instance.....science has named a certain brainwave pattern a THETA wave!?and as to psychiatry it is merely an attemp at applying the psycology of philosophy!?with the definition of psycology being the understanding of the inner workings of the head or mind!?(your own!?)hehe!!......just....askin...

This particular scientific mind hasn't failed to consider all that it has encourtered ever since mine became a scientific mind and discounted religious beliefs as unlikely because of the lack of scientific evidence. You see, a truely scientific mind questions everything. We are the ultimate skeptics. And in particular we challenge deeply any claim that attempts to explain questions of where it and we all came from. Even ol' Albert A. was picked apart when he came up with E=Mc2 but it finally proved true. Just ask the folks at Hiroshima.

Scientists really don't claim knowledge. Just the oposite. If we were to claim that we actually know something then we would stop looking at it and trying to figure it out. Even scientific minds thought they KNEW the earth was flat. So even the scientific thought process has had to evolve over the years so we don't make such mistakes again. Some of the greatest scientific minds in the world today can't even agree on whether we live in an expanding or a contracting universe. We'll find more evidence eventually to point in one direction or the other but we may never really know.

So don't disparage the scientific mind. We are really quite humble and unlike those of faith, don't know it all.
    Last edited by bogie; 11-29-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Bump, just getting real threads up to the top so we don't have to dig for them.

;)

LM

I guess the questions all come down to the same questions after all. Why are we here, and is this life all there is?

Quote Originally Posted by terry05_99
    I guess the questions all come down to the same questions after all. Why are we here, and is this life all there is?
    I think the answer to those questions are painfully obvious and incredibly unsatisfying. Thats why people continue to ask it, hoping that someone will provide them with a more satisfying (if not entirely untrue) answer.

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    I think the answer to those questions are painfully obvious and incredibly unsatisfying. Thats why people continue to ask it, hoping that someone will provide them with a more satisfying (if not entirely untrue) answer.
    I think your right, but I suppose we could reduce it further to 'Why is there something instead of nothing?' The anthropic principle gives an answer I guess, but its not as satisfying using the anthropic prinicple to answer this as it is to explain the fine-tuning of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    Ok, and I know how simplistic this sounds to an atheist, but to a Christian here's the deal:

Why are we here? To please God.

Is this life all there is? No

So, while I can understand that you're probably on the floor laughing by now, I also understand that for you and K, maybe these questions have no definitive answer and perhaps there's no inner peace, or should I say, there's a sense of restlessness. For someone of faith because you believe so fervently (in what cannot be proven) there is a sense of contentment, and not in an idiotic way. It's in a way that is indiscribable to a non-believer.

I don't know if that makes any little sense to you or if just sounds stupid. I understand if you think it sounds totally stupid because faith is so intangible.

I think what most "regular" minded people find alarming is the Evangelicals are not only unaccepting and intolarant of others faiths, they are militant about spreading their word.

They lie and distort truth to justify themselves in God's name. If this (always assuming everyone is from the US as myself...lol) were Iraq or Iran, they would be the radical Muslims. They are no different.

Got it in one, Synik. And given the 2000 year history of the Church, some of us minority types get a little nervous when we hear about 'Christian love'.

Quote Originally Posted by SynikReturns
    I think what most "regular" minded people find alarming is the Evangelicals are not only unaccepting and intolarant of others faiths, they are militant about spreading their word.

They lie and distort truth to justify themselves in God's name. If this (always assuming everyone is from the US as myself...lol) were Iraq or Iran, they would be the radical Muslims. They are no different.
    Ya, you have to think that, if you're a rational person.

A personal belief is not enough for them. They have to take it to everybody and if you don't agree with them, you've got yourself another tony and COG.