+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Christians and Mormonism

I was watching "Hard Ball" this evening and there was a discussion about potential 2008 presidential candidates. One of the names that came up as a potential Republican candidate was Mitt Romney, the governor of Massachusetts. The discussion then turned to the fact that he is a Mormon and the question was raised as to how evangelical Christians view Mormonism. This raised my curiosity so I would like to throw this out to the board. Does anyone have any opinion about this? I would especially like to hear what the self proclaimed Christians on this board have to say.

Re: Christians and Mormonism

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    I was watching "Hard Ball" this evening and there was a discussion about potential 2008 presidential candidates. One of the names that came up as a potential Republican candidate was Mitt Romney, the governor of Massachusetts. The discussion then turned to the fact that he is a Mormon and the question was raised as to how evangelical Christians view Mormonism. This raised my curiosity so I would like to throw this out to the board. Does anyone have any opinion about this? I would especially like to hear what the self proclaimed Christians on this board have to say.
    I'm a self-proclaimed Christian! :rolleyes:

Apparently, Mormonism isn't based purely on the Bible, but on this book by Joseph Smith. I haven't read it. But from what I hear, Mormons aren't considered Christians by other Christian sects because of some sort of fundamental difference in theology. I don't know what that it is. Here's a Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

I don't know much about the situation, but my gut tells me not to trust Mitt Romney. You may ask why. Well... check out this stained glass window of Joseph Smith:

Yikes! You're not even supposed to be able to lay eyes on the Father. This is so conceited, cartoonish, theologically incorrect and just dumb.

Jesus is a manifestation of God. They're not two seperate people. This image is like having Jesus standing beside the burning bush. Why both? They both are of the same mind. Only one is needed. It's just seems really wacky.

And who takes a stroll through the woods in a business suit? Is Bambi hiding behind a tree?

No, I don't think it's a good idea to have Mitt Romney as a president. This mural alone is enough to make me cringe at the idea.
    Last edited by Ronald; 11-25-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Mormanism is a cult. They believe that Lucifer is the brother of Jesus. What a joke! Plus....if the Bible ever contradicts the Book of Mormon, the church is required to disregard the Bible, in favor of the Book of Mormon.
    If a die hard Mormon came into power in America, it would be the beginning of the end.
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

Uh, I've been Mormon, no longer though. (18 years.) It's definitely not a cult. But hey, thanks for making that assumption. And didn't Moses and Jared see God? Anyway, their beliefs are different, but technically speaking the definition of Christianity is anyone that follows the teachings of Christ, which would make them Christian. However, it's very common for all religious sects to change the definition of Christianity so that it only includes their sect. If a die hard of any religion became president it would be a serious problem. The one's who are obsessive about their religion (in any religion) tend to not think logically and.. well, they are crazy.

And who takes a stroll through the woods in a business suit? Is Bambi hiding behind a tree?
    I'm sure that this stained glass window isn't an exact interpretation of what he was wearing. Maybe they painted him with a suit on to make him look nicer for the window.

Anyway, I don't think Mitt Romney would make a great president - and I really don't see why his religion even matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald

I believe the founder of Mormonism lived in the ninteenth century when it wasn't unusual to see a man in a suit of some kind. That was the style of dress of the day.
    I also believe that the founder believed he was visited by Christ. It was through this visitation that the founder created Mormonism.

Is that right Lisan?

I have some distant relatives who are Mormon. They scare me.

I've known a Mormon. Only two-fisted-drinking Mormon that I ever heard of. Smoking too. Who knows, the Reformed Mormon Church someday?

Mormons are OK but I'll never be one. I see no problem with a Mormon president. We got a bible-thumper in there already. What's the diff?

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    Uh, I've been Mormon, no longer though. (18 years.) It's definitely not a cult. But hey, thanks for making that assumption. And didn't Moses and Jared see God? Anyway, their beliefs are different, but technically speaking the definition of Christianity is anyone that follows the teachings of Christ, which would make them Christian. However, it's very common for all religious sects to change the definition of Christianity so that it only includes their sect. If a die hard of any religion became president it would be a serious problem. The one's who are obsessive about their religion (in any religion) tend to not think logically and.. well, they are crazy.

I'm sure that this stained glass window isn't an exact interpretation of what he was wearing. Maybe they painted him with a suit on to make him look nicer for the window.

Anyway, I don't think Mitt Romney would make a great president - and I really don't see why his religion even matters.

You didn't respond to the main problem I have with Mormons: they believe that Lucifer is the brother of Jesus. That's not in the Scriptures. It's an outright fabrication. If any religion believes such, and still professes to be a Christian sect, they are deceiving themselves, and others.

His beliefs would affect his judgement as a leader. Believe me, with Bush being a "so-called", "born again" Christian, waging wars, believing God is directing him to kill thousands of people. Imagine Romney winning the 2008 presidential election, with his belief that Jesus and Satan were brothers. Armageddon for sure?
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;

As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

"Imagine Romney winning the 2008 presidential election, with his belief that Jesus and Satan were brothers. Armageddon for sure?"

Not really. Christianity is just Judaism with Volume 2 (New Testament). Think of Protestants as the abridged version of the Catholic, done by no less then Martin Luther. Mormonism has Volume 3. Islam is an outgrowth of Nestorian Christianity. Who's to say that the bible isn't a pack of lies either? It's been rewritten several times to suit various political realities.

You didn't respond to the main problem I have with Mormons: they believe that Lucifer is the brother of Jesus. That's not in the Scriptures. It's an outright fabrication. If any religion believes such, and still professes to be a Christian sect, they are deceiving themselves, and others.
    Well, let's think about it - I think most Christians believe everyone is a child of God. So technically speaking, we're all siblings of Christ. Why wouldn't Lucifer be one to? Not only that, but atheists believe Christians are crazy because they believe in a being that they cannot prove exists. And you, I'm assuming, are a Christian, and you feel that the mormons are crazy for believing something you can't prove or disprove. Wow, sounds like a lot of similarities there. Maybe you should step back and realize you're doing the same thing atheists do to Christians. Not very Christlike.

Rusted;
    We got a bible-thumper in there already. What's the diff?
    Stopping another travesty, and learning from our mistakes?

Jesus was considered a cult leader to many Jews? The Catholic Church was considered a cult by true followers of Jesus when it was conceived? Catholics consider most Christian denominations as well as the Mormon Church as a cult?

If it walks like a duck, and squawks like a duck, a cult it is!

Well, Joe, technically speaking if you use the real definition of a cult any organized religion is in fact a cult. The definition has just been twisted into a negative light in recent years. The true definition of cult has no real negative implications.

OK well you caught me lisan23, literally speaking that is!

Kinda like the word regime, eh? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    Well, let's think about it - I think most Christians believe everyone is a child of God. So technically speaking, we're all siblings of Christ. Why wouldn't Lucifer be one to? Not only that, but atheists believe Christians are crazy because they believe in a being that they cannot prove exists. And you, I'm assuming, are a Christian, and you feel that the mormons are crazy for believing something you can't prove or disprove. Wow, sounds like a lot of similarities there. Maybe you should step back and realize you're doing the same thing atheists do to Christians. Not very Christlike.
    Lucifer is the author of evil, and according to Scripture, he started the war in Heaven, due to his vain belief he should be like God. Another name for Jesus in the Scriptures is Michael. Who opposed Lucifer in Heaven? Michael. To state Lucifer is the brother of Christ is an oxymoron and especially since Christ is the Creator of Heaven and earth. How could one be a brother to the One who created him?

I have never professed to be a Christian on this forum, nor will you see me do so. I have merely referred to the Scriptures often as of late, to debunk the absurd and the various intellectually impotent positions, many of the right-wingers take on certain issues regarding their version of "Christianity". (Such as professing to be a follower of the Prince of Peace, yet, support the eradication of Muslim people. See Pawnstar's belief that Muslims are Satan's chosen people, despite the fact that Islam, Christianity and Judaism, all acknowledge the very same God) Many choose to ignore the facts staring them in the face.
    Don't be surprised when they are told to put on their SPF +1000 sunblock when Christ returns.

I doubt the Jews would agree that God doesn't exist, as they have a long line of heritage to draw from. To each their own, but when the debate rests on the content in the Scriptures, the Book speaks for itself.

I learned about Mormonism from a documentary. Their secret blood oathes, secret undergarments (to protect them from "evil spirits"), the various Satanic symbols ever so present on their Temples, would spell Satanic cult to me. Did you ever get to wear those secret undergarments? Some married couples are so fanatical, they won't even remove those undergarments for intimate encounters.

I prefer to keep Religion and Politics separate. What is transpiring in America, is fanatical religious nutcases, hell bent on securing political power to further their agenda of a theocracy. America will be the next Roman Empire. It has essentially already occurred.

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

I respectfully suggest that you ALL read the Book Of Mormon and then decide
    for yourselves.
    This is NOT a dodge on my part. I believe that to debate such an issue that
    one should read the material.
    I think that everyone will find it a great departure from the other "ordinary
    christian" dogma material.
    I find it peculiar in that it interjects the person Joseph Smith into the scenario. He is the individual that is supposed to have found the Brass Plates
    and had a direct relation with an Angel. This all taking place in the 19th
    century. The latest concoted material of christianity which greatly modified
    any previous dogma.
    What effect this would have on the man in question, in regards to his integrity
    in public office? I would say no more than any other individual. Especially the
    moral majority individuals that wear this as a declatory badge of their un-
    tarnished lifetime's integrity. This that is usually a warning signal that every-
    one should run for the exits. Especially when one finds them in the political
    arena of our country. This being in the state that it presently is.
    I liked the comment someone made regarding "christians": something like
    Judaism, modified by Volume 2 of the Bible; the "New Testament". I had
    never thought of it that way before - how true this is.
    Without getting into all the dogma gymnastics and exchange of opinions
    regarding this rhetoric, one would ask: 'why was this "New Testament"
    written and always accompanies the "Old Testament" as the Christian
    Bible? Seems to me, primarily a couple of things:
    - documents the advent of the "Messiah", Jesus Christ, which ONLY
    christians acknowledge. including Mormons.
    - qualifies him as the "redeemer" as his martydom is documented.
    - seeks to lend a quality of kidness, grace and benevolence to humans,
    whereas in the Old Testament, it was wrought with fantastic tales, all the
    way from the suggested first man and woman that are supposedly the
    origin of ALL of we humans. The destruction of 'other' undescribed and
    NOT explained various creatures, including human and animal freaks des-
    troyed through the flood, Noah and family being questionably 'above' all of the corruption of the others; Patriarchary par excellence, where women were seldom
    if ever mentioned and all the way from Eve, were mostly condemed as being
    responsbile for the downfall of humanity, or diminished or lesser roles, in
    spite of the fact that it is only through a woman that ANYONE makes
    their 'entrance' into this 'world of light', Planet Earth. Other than that,
    perpetual brutalizing, suffering, condemnation and misery for the overall
    lot of humanity, like we were then, as now, all rejected slime from the
    bottom of God's creation Pestle.
    I rest. Sorry to have rambled on! :rolleyes:

Well, it doesnt matter to me at all what religion anyone embraces. Remember
    JFK? There was a flurry over his being Catholic! The only problem I would
    have with a religious president would be if he/she is Muslim.
    Mitt Romney looks like a good candidate to me.