+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Is Hell Hot?

Is Hell Hot?

IS Hell a place of torment?

Re: Is Hell Hot?

Hell does not exist.

No, hell (or sheol/hades) does not exist in the sense of burning firery torment. Sheol (the hebrew word for hell) denotes the common grave of mankind and the Bible indicates that we all go there, good and bad, even Jesus was there for a time.

Concept of hell was created by early Christian theologians to create something opposite to heaven.

Hel is known as the Goddess of the Teutonic underworld which is called Niflheim. And this world is described as a realm of cold and darkness.

I find it interesting the contrasts between descriptions of underworlds. The concept of modern day hell originates from a hot dusty dry place and thus hell is described as hot and burning.
    Where as the Norse who came from a cold environment describe their underworld as a cold dark place.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason
    Hel is known as the Goddess of the Teutonic underworld which is called Niflheim. And this world is described as a realm of cold and darkness.

I find it interesting the contrasts between descriptions of underworlds. The concept of modern day hell originates from a hot dusty dry place and thus hell is described as hot and burning.
    Where as the Norse who came from a cold environment describe their underworld as a cold dark place.
    Hmmmm, interesting. In Revelations Hell is described as a fiery pit in which Satan and his minions are cast.

In other books, it's described as an "outer darkness" a void so to speak, where there will be weeping and knashing of teeth.

I was taught that hell would be eternal separation from God. If you aren't in the light of his presence, you are in darkness indeed.

Lady Mod

I kinda agree with sojust. I think hell is more of a place of darkness. And I always found the gnashing of teeth line funny. (I think of it from a dentist's view because I used to grind my teeth when I sleep. They freak out when you "gnash" your teeth.)

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    And I always found the gnashing of teeth line funny. (I think of it from a dentist's view because I used to grind my teeth when I sleep. They freak out when you "gnash" your teeth.)
    LOL How funny! I always get the same visual too!

LM

Ya, who came up with that line? They should've thought more about the care people need to give their teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    Ya, who came up with that line? They should've thought more about the care people need to give their teeth.
    Rofl, did they even have dentists back then?

No, and I'm sure they had no idea how bad gnashing your teeth really was for you. Why did God wait so long to bring dentists along? hmmmm. (Rhetorical question.)

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman
    Hell does not exist.
    Now for the Bible believing Christian version to that question...

Yes - Hell exists -it is a separation from God for eternity, it is a place of eternal punishment.

Jesus spoke on Hell more than He did on Heaven..

BTL

The question is not "is Hell hot?". The question is:
    Is Hell endothermic or exothermic?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    The question is not "is Hell hot?". The question is:
    Is Hell endothermic or exothermic?
    THAT is funny!

IF hot flashes count then I think I must visit hell a couple times a week. Sometimes during the day and man, it looks a lot like the place I work at. LOL.

Lady Mod

The thing I find most interesting is most cultures through history believed in an underworld of some sort. But not all of them believed the underworld to be a bad place.
    Some cultures, some of them at least, looked at the underworld as the womb of the great mother where a person goes before they are reborn.
    That is why some archealogists think that caves were important to early man, they were the entrance to the underworld.
    Aztecs thought along these line too I think as did the Maya. Everything came from the underworld.

So people are scared of the dark because it reminds them of hell

or

People are scared of hell because it is dark?