+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rapture and Revelations

Hey everyone, how was your weekend? Well, I happened to catch a few shows on the history channel and national geographic channel that were really interesting. Before I post some things about revelations, I have a question.

For those who believe in rapture - please let me know if I have this right:

Jesus comes back and those who have been born again are raised from the earth and Jesus takes you back to God's palace/home/abode (whatever) to live with him forever, correct? (This is a very condensed version, I know. But in general is this correct?)

After I get an answer I will continue with what I learned this weekend.

Re: Rapture and Revelations

Ok, after searching the forum I found that my thoughts on rapture are correct.

Moving on to Revelations:

Most scholars and religious men believe that the write, John, was in fact sane when he wrote Revelations. When John wrote Revelations he had been banished to a small island off of Turkey by the Roman Emperor Nero. Before John was banished he taught the other Christians that the coming of Christ would be relatively soon. At this time Christians were a small group of people that had branched off from Judaism. The Romans viciously attacked and sought Christians. John believed because of this persecution and the severity of what was happening that the second coming was not far away.

First thing, he mentioned the mark of the beast being 666. Hebrew letters have matches with numbers, in Hebrew 666 (when matched with the appropriate letters) means Nero.

Second, Nero had his scribe help him commit suicide. However, many Christians believed that Nero was not dead and that he was secretly gathering an army together to attack and kill the remaining Christians. Interestingly enough in Revelations John writes of a beast that has a wound on his head that was supposed to kill him, yet the beast is still alive. (See the similarities.)

Third, the harlot of babylon is dressed in purple. The roman royal color was purple.

Fourth, and finally, Rome is a city that is located between 7 mountains.

Everything stated above is fact. My conclusion is that the book of Revelations may not have been a message for the future, but a message to Christians at that time. Too many things align up with the current events happening when John wrote the book. (In a very direct way. No real translating needed.)

I was wondering what others thought about it.

As for rapture and Revelations: rapture is the belief that you ascend to heaven and live with God and Jesus.

Revelations states that Jesus will reign on earth for 1,000 years and that he will be reigning over the righteous. The belief in rapture actually contradicts the book of Revelations.

Considering the book of Revelations has been around for almost 2000 years and the belief in rapture is fairly new - I was wondering why those who believe in rapture believe it?

Also, do you know where the belief of rapture came from? It's not in the bible anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    As for rapture and Revelations: rapture is the belief that you ascend to heaven and live with God and Jesus.

Revelations states that Jesus will reign on earth for 1,000 years and that he will be reigning over the righteous. The belief in rapture actually contradicts the book of Revelations.

Considering the book of Revelations has been around for almost 2000 years and the belief in rapture is fairly new - I was wondering why those who believe in rapture believe it?

Also, do you know where the belief of rapture came from? It's not in the bible anywhere.
    1 Thessalonians 4:15b-16.. has been around a long time too..
    and it reads....."and the dead in Christ will rise first..."
    also look at John 14:1-3; 1 Corinthians 15:50-58.

A few examples of people preaching about rapture...

A clear statement of the rapture position can be found as early as the 4th to 7th century AD. A sermon preached
    by Pseudo-Ephraem entitled "On the Last Times, the Antichrist,
    and the End of the World" includes discussing rapture.

Another example -- Brother Dolcino in 1260 Ad talked about rapture

In 1744- Morgan Edwards talked about a rapture.

But my final point - we all should study the Bible for ourselves..
    get ahold of a concordance ... look up key terms and see where they
    pop up in the Bible and interpret them for yourself.
    As well before reading - Ask the Holy Spirit to discern the information with you.

My suggestions anyways ...
    BTL

Thanks BTL. I'm at work but I'll look up those scriptures when I get home. (Yay for sticky notes.)

Moving on, I was wondering what others thought about Revelations? Applicable to today's world or was it for Christians at the time of John?

Moving on, I was wondering what others thought about Revelations? Applicable to today's world or was it for Christians at the time of John?
    I believe it is applicable for the furture,,, IT is telling us of events to come...
    In my belief -- once rapture happens -- you will be able to
    compare the book of Revelations to the local newspaper of events.

BTL

I think Revelation was a revelation to John as a foretelling of what was to come. I don't think it necessarily applies to right now. It is telling us what is to come. It mostly deals with stuff that happens after Christ's return.

taken simply,what does the word rapture imply!?a hotdog in a bun!?a pig in a blanket!?you get the drift!?hehe!!......just askin....

Quote Originally Posted by bethelight
    But my final point - we all should study the Bible for ourselves..
    get ahold of a concordance ... look up key terms and see where they
    pop up in the Bible and interpret them for yourself.
    As well before reading - Ask the Holy Spirit to discern the information with you.

My suggestions anyways ...
    BTL
    An utmost wise recommendation!
    Bravo, bethelight.
    May God bless!

It is my belief that there will be no rapture.

1. Matthew 24:4
    And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
    Matthew 24:3-5 (in Context) Matthew 24 (Whole Chapter)
    2. Luke 21:8
    And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
    Luke 21:7-9 (in Context) Luke 21 (Whole Chapter)

The number of the beast is said to be 616 according to new documents. :eek:

Not quite as catchy.

Wow this popped up out of nowhere. Anyway, as for rapture, I don't believe in it either. It's never once mentioned in the bible. Saying the dead in Christ will rise first may just mean they will be resurrected here on earth. Nowhere does it say Christ will lead them into heaven to live with God. In fact, I was under the impression that the bible states that the righteous will remain on EARTH and live under the rule of Christ for 1,000 years.

From everything I can tell (not a Christian here), John of Patmos was indeed writing about the situation in Rome during his day. Stylistically and symbolically, it fits. Sort of a political commentary or parody.

I agree completely ComplexKid.

Wow this popped up out of nowhere. Anyway, as for rapture, I don't believe in it either. It's never once mentioned in the bible. Saying the dead in Christ will rise first may just mean they will be resurrected here on earth. Nowhere does it say Christ will lead them into heaven to live with God. In fact, I was under the impression that the bible states that the righteous will remain on EARTH and live under the rule of Christ for 1,000 years.
    The word 'rapture' is an anglicized word from the Greek word that means "to be taken up." Actually, 'rapture' is French, I believe. But the Greek word is there.

The word "Trinity" isn't in scripture either, although the triune God-head nevertheless is in scripture.

Read Ezekiel and Revelations when you get a chance - this mentions the activity of those who will rule and live with Christ during the tribulation (not on earth) and in the millenium (on earth).