+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Where Christianity came from

Now, it seems to me that all branches of Christianity branced off from Catholicism or Judaism - right?

Re: Where Christianity came from

makes sense to me!?hehe!?.....just askin....

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    Now, it seems to me that all branches of Christianity branced off from Catholicism or Judaism - right?
    At least the ones we have today. I know there were "christians" before the Catholic church and there were many different kinds of "chrisitians" Gnostics and such.
    But I think the different denominations we have today are just off shoots of the Catholic church. Disgruntled, dissatisfied people who decided to interpret the Bible their own way.

Much like you see on this forum today, lots of people claiming to be Christian but not two of them agreeing on how to interpret the Bible. Bickering over what it means and who is right or wrong.

It branched off the Rock, who is Christ. Christ is the Rock to which the church is built upon.
    Atop of that are the Apostles of Christ.

That answers that.

Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    It branched off the Rock, who is Christ. Christ is the Rock to which the church is built upon.

That answers that.
    I think Lisan was looking for more of a historical explaination.
    Nice try though.

Thanks anti. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure I was thinking right. (Protestant England branched off from Catholocism, and then Puritans branched off from them, as well as the Quakers. They are the ones that came to America. And I think that's where most of the religions here in the US come from.)

So the next time we discuss the bloody hands of Christianity I think it's only fair to count the Crusades, because in essence, Catholocism was where most branches of currently practised Christianity came from.

I'm not trying to start an argument, though. I'm just seeing if others agree. If not, that's fine. I understand if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason
    I think Lisan was looking for more of a historical explaination.
    Nice try though.
    Thanks.
    Actually, that's what I did. What I said is historically true.

Thanks anti. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure I was thinking right. (Protestant England branched off from Catholocism, and then Puritans branched off from them, as well as the Quakers. They are the ones that came to America. And I think that's where most of the religions here in the US come from.)

So the next time we discuss the bloody hands of Christianity I think it's only fair to count the Crusades, because in essence, Catholocism was where most branches of currently practised Christianity came from.

I'm not trying to start an argument, though. I'm just seeing if others agree. If not, that's fine. I understand if you don't.
    We could talk about this at length another time, but you misunderstand how the Lord operates.

In the midst of the rubble and confusion of sinful humanity, and we're all sinners too, the Lord pulls out those according to His will.
    This isn't a matter of 'branches,' as if it was man's perspective.
    Martin Luther was enlightened by scripture because in His timing that was His will. The Lord drew Luther to Him, gave him the gift of faith and repentance, and that started the ball rolling in Germany.

There were already Christian groups scattered in Europe. The anabaptists, the Mennonites, the Waldensians, etc etc. It's not like Luther was the very first born-again Christian in 1400 years. The Lord had and has always preserved a remnant.

It appears that you're trying to justify your own thinking, which goes like this:
    "The Lord is responsible for the Crusades, thus I don't have to trust Him."

Doesn't work that way.
    You can't come to the Father unless He draw you to Him. Can't be saved unless He gives you the gift of faith and repentance. You'll be saved even if it means you have to be dragged in.

In the meantime, you can obviously choose to maintain in your unbelief. You can choose to hate God because of what you think He has done or even permitted.
    But I hope He grants you eternal life. The alternative is not a cool situation. No pun intended.

ERK was correct regarding the founding... anti_thesisofreason was also correct since his post expanded on the history after the founding.

You're right Lis... the Crusades & events like the Inquisition and the multitude of witch-hunts... as well as, the multitude of European religious wars... religious persecutions (which encouraged settlement in the New World).

... all because we can't decide how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Such confusion from such simple beginnings...

Religion is simply not simple.

I just don't like it when people accuse Islam of being a bloody religion. I honestly believe most religions have had some type of violence in their history.

I do agree. It's a clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.

EK, that had nothing to with what I was trying to do either. I was just trying to validate what I already knew, Christianity's hands are just as blood stained as Islam's. I just don't like people accusing Islam of being a bloody religion when Christianity has it's own blood stains.

It appears that you're trying to justify your own thinking, which goes like this:
    "The Lord is responsible for the Crusades, thus I don't have to trust Him."
    That is what I'm referring to in my previous post, btw. My own thinking was nowhere near those lines. I'm know enough about the Crusades to know it was more of a battle of the Catholic church and not God.

That is what I'm referring to in my previous post, btw. My own thinking was nowhere near those lines. I'm know enough about the Crusades to know it was more of a battle of the Catholic church and not God.
    Thanks for the clarification..

tony_jenn Guest

Everyknee please pray for me brother? sorry can't remember your gender...and I accept your instruction if you would care to inbox me words of wisdom...your brother in christ...

Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee

That answers that.
    Since Christ is the Rock. Can he layeth the smackdown on you?

Dwaynne Johnson is the Rock. Not a fan of him though but that is him.

:(
    Last edited by RememberMyName; 11-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing ."
    - Edmund Burke 1729—1797

"A leader is someone who ask all the questions and lead others with his own answers while a follower is someone who never ask questions and follow others with his own blindness."
    - Christian A. Fleetwood