+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Richard Dawkins Foundation For Reason And Science

I found this through Youtube,
    http://richarddawkins.net/foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dawkins
    The enlightenment is under threat. So is reason. So is truth. So is science, especially in the schools of America. I am one of those scientists who feels that it is no longer enough just to get on and do science. We have to devote a significant proportion of our time and resources to defending it from deliberate attack from organized ignorance. We even have to go out on the attack ourselves, for the sake of reason and sanity. But it must be a positive attack, for science and reason have so much to give. They are not just useful, they enrich our lives in the same kind of way as the arts do. Promoting science as poetry was one of the things that Carl Sagan did so well, and I aspire to continue his tradition.

Re: Richard Dawkins Foundation For Reason And Science

Yes its great there is also this

BALONEY!?hehe!!i saw dawkins speak on c-span!?he's just ridin the wave of welcome afforded by his willingness to address the issue of id with answers or whatever!?hehe!!he found a gap and a need and filled it whether accidentally or on purpose we will never know!?but a clue might be that at this talk he was asked why the deniers of evolution get angry about his presentation to which he repied,i didn't know that happened!?why would they do that!?he's in danger of becoming a road show con man!?it's hard to resist the will of the FANS is it not!?they shape you and make you what you would not have intended!?hehe!!....just askin....
    Last edited by lexx; 11-17-2006 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    BALONEY!?hehe!!i saw dawkins speak on c-span!?he's just ridin the wave of welcome afforded by his willingness to address the issue of id with answers or whatever!?hehe!!he found a gap and a need and filled it whether accidentally or on purpose we will never know!?but a clue might be that at this talk he was asked why the deniers of evolution get angry about his presentation to which he repied,i didn't know that happened!?why would they do that!?he's in danger of becoming a road show con man!?it's hard to resist the will of the FANS is it not!?they shape you and make you what you would not have intended!?hehe!!....just askin....
    OMG! An atheist...becoming popular...for representing the intellectual honesty of atheism!???!!!! How terrible!

As opposed to the tens of thousands of evangelical christians, the performer pastors, the preachers who make their sermons into "Rock Concerts", trying to ensure that everyone who comes has such a good time the emotional response when they think about it has nothing to do with "the facts".

Besides, Dawkins has seen a real political issue in our world and he is fighting it. I agree with him. I'm getting tired of seeing the ...well, the things I have seen people say and do because of their own "righteous" beliefs. It is infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    OMG! An atheist...becoming popular...for representing the intellectual honesty of atheism!???!!!! How terrible!

As opposed to the tens of thousands of evangelical christians, the performer pastors, the preachers who make their sermons into "Rock Concerts", trying to ensure that everyone who comes has such a good time the emotional response when they think about it has nothing to do with "the facts".

Besides, Dawkins has seen a real political issue in our world and he is fighting it. I agree with him. I'm getting tired of seeing the ...well, the things I have seen people say and do because of their own "righteous" beliefs. It is infuriating.
    you do not however look at mr.dawkins from a critical eye!?as i said before,i am first a scientist!?and i find fault not in his proposals but in his willing ignorance of his popularity of purpose!?and not to mention that intellectual honesty is NOT necessarily a determining force in the universe!?....more to sincerity of mind!?but i'm crossing mental functions with emotional bias for the sake of argumentative regard!?hehe!!for intellect is a function of the machine/creation that is man!?and with the emotional fact of consciousness the intellect has it's true and intended function!?it's really all about the emotional aspect or mind of a man!?certainly this is evident in the simple anger/love relationship of all people!?hehe!!and while this is a curse to modern science(by it's seeming complexity!?) it is really the core of all that is!?that's why technology has triumphed as the savior for man!?hehe!!and rightfully so by regards!?hehe!!for men are born without regard!?and are trained in the ways of the living(family!?) that preceed them!?so how can any man consider anything he is not trained/mimics to conceive!?if so,he would be termed a rebel!?but of course rebellion is seen in different ways!?outright rebellion and rebellion within the lines!?but what is the cause of either one!?is not the one just attenuated/coaxed by favorable circumstances!?why should the seemingly natural fact of ignorance=religion be seen as a thing to be eradicated!?what is the political economic machine behind this drive based on!?i mean if it really came down to it!?would not the proposers of pure science in fear/defiance take the side of the natzis to preserve their views!?hehe!!....just askin.....
    Last edited by lexx; 11-17-2006 at 01:19 PM.

you do not however look at mr.dawkins from a critical eye!?
    I look at him with the same critical eye that I look at all philosophical concepts

why should the seemingly natural fact of ignorance=religion be seen as a thing to be eradicated!?what is the political economic machine behind this drive based on!?i mean if it really came down to it!?would not the proposers of pure science in fear/defiance take the side of the natzis to preserve their views!?hehe!!....just askin.....
    His reasons for doing so are thoroughly explained in his books, his talks and his documentaries. Basically the two motivating factors come down to 1. Religious organisations have started a war on "scientific NMaturalism" (specifically in the USA) and 2. Religions has a horrible track record of manipulating people into doing horrible things.

Basically Dawkins is fighting back, because if someone doesn't fight back, religion will simply win, and science, for all it has done, will be cast aside like a pop-fad. It will simply become "No longer fashionable".

And that is intolerable.

I look at him with the same critical eye that I look at all philosophical concepts

His reasons for doing so are thoroughly explained in his books, his talks and his documentaries. Basically the two motivating factors come down to 1. Religious organisations have started a war on "scientific NMaturalism" (specifically in the USA) and 2. Religions has a horrible track record of manipulating people into doing horrible things.

Basically Dawkins is fighting back, because if someone doesn't fight back, religion will simply win, and science, for all it has done, will be cast aside like a pop-fad. It will simply become "No longer fashionable".

And that is intolerable.
    but you didn't answer my proposed question!?what would it finally come down to!?i mean i personally see no threat to science!?they have all the money and support of the intellectuals!?and this is certainly the sign of a higher minded society!?not by the function of intellect alone!?but by it's very separation/consideration from impulse as the only function driving the acts of men!?so therefore it would seem to me that the only adversaries that science has are those that are emotionally driven to reject science itself as the replacement for a god culture thru the numbers game of birth/education!?the intellect vs the heart!?and while i see this as an unnecessary conflict it has never the less driven itself into the forefront of the political/economic arena by it's defenders thru fear!?so we can assume that no one is immune to the idea of fear for their own regard as to the outcome of their own concept of a perfect humanity if either side is dominant!?and of couse it is not this simply defined!?or is it!?for it is of apparent in proposed nature that 1 side or the other MUST prevail for all to be well with mankind!?you should all WATCH star trek as in their episodes they DEAL with this VERY thing in their STORY LINES!?opr perhaps may i direct you to the stephendozier threads on the cosmology of it all!?for who can be taken lightly/dismissed and why/what is the reference point to anyones personal existance and life made an issue to be defended to the death!?hehe!!.....just askin.....
    Last edited by lexx; 11-17-2006 at 02:03 PM.

you do not however look at mr.dawkins from a critical eye!?as i said before,i am first a scientist!?and i find fault not in his proposals but in his willing ignorance of his popularity of purpose!?and not to mention that intellectual honesty is NOT necessarily a determining force in the universe!?....more to sincerity of mind!?but i'm crossing mental functions with emotional bias for the sake of argumentative regard!?hehe!!for intellect is a function of the machine/creation that is man!?and with the emotional fact of consciousness the intellect has it's true and intended function!?it's really all about the emotional aspect or mind of a man!?certainly this is evident in the simple anger/love relationship of all people!?hehe!!and while this is a curse to modern science(by it's seeming complexity!?) it is really the core of all that is!?that's why technology has triumphed as the savior for man!?hehe!!and rightfully so by regards!?hehe!!for men are born without regard!?and are trained in the ways of the living(family!?) that preceed them!?so how can any man consider anything he is not trained/mimics to conceive!?if so,he would be termed a rebel!?but of course rebellion is seen in different ways!?outright rebellion and rebellion within the lines!?but what is the cause of either one!?is not the one just attenuated/coaxed by favorable circumstances!?why should the seemingly natural fact of ignorance=religion be seen as a thing to be eradicated!?what is the political economic machine behind this drive based on!?i mean if it really came down to it!?would not the proposers of pure science in fear/defiance take the side of the natzis to preserve their views!?hehe!!....just askin.....
    No offense but could I ask you to use paragraphs in your writing? It would make it easier to read and to understand your points.

Of course, it won't help the fact that you are writing complete gibberish.

And that is intolerable.
    Dawkins has done a tremendous amount to promote scientific thinking and advance reason. In a world where fundamentalist religionists have been busy poisoning society with their bigotry and hatred he has been making a difference.

Long may he continue!

but you didn't answer my proposed question!?what would it finally come down to!?i mean i personally see no threat to science!?they have all the money and support of the intellectuals!?and this is certainly the sign of a higher minded society!?
    Yeah, thats what I thought until I started seeing the stats. Fundy's in the USA are getting themselves into politically powerful positions and promoting their lies through government policies and media driven propaganda.

This is creating a society of people who see science as "just another option".

"Science says that my sickness is caused by a bacterial infection, but my pastor said that I have been living in sin lately and so maybe god is punishing me, and then my homeopathy person said it was caused by an imbalnce in my chemicals.... hmmm, what should I do?"

This is what more and more people are doing. It is f'ing ridiculous.

Since you can't watch the video at the RDF, here is the first two paragraps of the video:
    quote=Dawkins]
    I have just visited my local branch of Britain’s biggest bookshop chain, and this is what I found: six books on astronomy and nineteen books on astrology. The real science is outnumbered three to one by the pseudoscience. There were twenty books on angels, which means that angels and astrology together (39) outnumber the totality of books on all the sciences (33). When you add in the books on fairies, crystal healing, fortune telling, faith healing, Nostradamus, psychics and dream interpretation, it is no contest. Pseudoscience outnumbers science by at least three to one, and I didn’t even begin to count the far larger number of books on religion. This is not, of course, an academic bookshop. Oxford is well supplied with those, and they’d show a very different result. I made my counts in a popular bookshop, presumably typical of the nationwide chain of which it is a part – indeed, the chain’s buying policy is centralized in London, and we may be sure that strenuous and expensive efforts are made to reflect popular taste. As a statistical generalization, the general public, as opposed to an academic readership, prefers irrational books over books that reflect what we know about the real world.

A recent Gallup poll concluded that nearly 50% of the American public believes the universe is less than 10,000 years old. Nearly half the population, in other words, believes that the entire universe, the sun and solar system, the Milky Way galaxy, the Andromeda galaxy, and all the billions of other galaxies, all began after the domestication of the dog. They believe this because they rate a particular bronze age origin myth more highly than all the scientific evidence in the world. It is only one of literally thousands of such myths from around the world, but it happened, by a series of historical accidents, to become enshrined in a book – Genesis – which, by another series of historical accidents, has been translated and disseminated to almost every home in the land plus – infuriatingly – every hotel room. Even before science told us the true story of the origin of the world and the evolution of life, there was no reason to believe the Jewish origin myth any more than the origin myths of the Yoruba or the Kikuyu, the Yanomamo or the Maori, the Dogon or the Cherokee. Now, in the 21st century as we approach Darwin’s bicentenary, the fact that half of Americans take Genesis literally is nothing less than an educational scandal.[/quote]

?so we can assume that no one is immune to the idea of fear for their own regard as to the outcome of their own concept of a perfect humanity if either side is dominant!?and of couse it is not this simply defined!?or is it!?for it is of apparent in proposed nature that 1 side or the other MUST prevail for all to be well with mankind!?you should all WATCH star trek as in their episodes they DEAL with this VERY thing in their STORY LINES!?opr perhaps may i direct you to the stephendozier threads on the cosmology of it all!?for who can be taken lightly/dismissed and why/what is the reference point to anyones personal existance and life made an issue to be defended to the death!?hehe!!.....just askin.....
    You sorta lost me here, but as I said before, the fundies starte this war, Dawkins is just taking the banner and leading the retaliation. Science never sought to replace christianity or religion. Atheists never gave a **** about the religious mobs. Believe what you want, just leave us out of it...

But no, they prescribed a 20 year plan which culminated in the eventual erradication of scientific naturalism. That is THEIR goal, and that is unacceptable.

Even though I am not an aethist, I see nothing wrong in the pursuit of knowledge and the preservation of science, I think these are of a very noble pursuit even if the he chooses not to believe in a higher being. Even though I do not agree with his views of evolution, I applaud his quest to promote and preserve the knowledge gained by science and the funding being done to make sure that the globalist do not push us back in the dark ages. How can anyone be against science and knowledge no matter what religious or non religious beliefs are?
    I for one think that lexx's double think comments are starting to be transparent and that his hehe just askin........ is getting tiresome, try a new slogan dude.

well ya gotta admit,getting things out in the open can at least offer the opportunity for the possibility of cooperation in the sense that those that are not aware of the scope of any issue may at least get there eyes and ears attuned to the seeming/looming crisis at hand!?this statement may be simple and obvious,yet if one decides to do something to help out,this is where the complications come in!?but like i mentioned in my earlier post,it is basically a conflict between the emotional man vs the reasoning man.one is attracted to ideas of personal powers and the other is attracted to the understanding of the universe as we find it!?i mean one of the problems with science and also religion is that they are splintered and specialized and in non agreement!?so both are now seen to seek absolute control so as to get the ball rolling at a clip that would lead somewhere soon!?no man likes to look out at the world the media throws to his door everyday and not feel threatened/angry or heartbroken!?but you will have to admit that both views of the world have there own merits!?where the problem comes in is obviously the fact that some men are able to fit all the pieces together without demanding that anything be unnecessarily trashed!?but at this stage it would seem that the burden has fallen on scientifically minded men to provide the means to overcome the seen unbalance of purposes at work in society and the world!?so yes,they need reasonable/sincere voices to promote the principles of the idea that understanding leads to better living!?now then you might wonder what the underlying force that keeps this from happening sooner is!i would say it is time!?or the definition of time as experienced by most of society.on the one hand in a small/and or primitive society time is the natural daily cooperation necessary for the survival of all against the elements!?and as that success by trial and error leads to greater things there comes a new definition of time where the technological side of the equation if/when persued for it's own ends leads to a fragmentation of purposes and can create an unbalanced approach to life that may/has reached proportions that are realized to be threatening to the whole!and this is a basic intelligence that all men have about things!?so now the definition of time becomes survival of the ideal as defined by the possibilties inherent in it's persuers!?but as long as the cumulative effect of these time definitions are felt by most men as equitable and progressive for all then where is the problem!?but if technology allows men to compare the inequalities of time while that same technological ability is NOT providing TIMELY answers,then this creates a vacuum to be filled by anything that can promise to do so!?if we are to consider the proposed threat felt by the frustrated man or the successful man it really all comes down to who or what ideal has control over time!?time being the way a man measures/compares and acts out his existence against the environment he finds himself in!?so the definition of a fundamentalist could either be a practical man or an extremist!?so how anything is defined is relative to the person doing the defining!?no matter what idea/idealism is trying to claim the right to provide answers for problems as long as the fact of inequality can be seen openly there must be a cooperation amoung those that want to answer it's call to equality for all!?so obviously we are now a world wide community thru technological acheivement but lack the will/means to effect the good of the whole!?because in each fragmented economical unit that unit sees itself as justified in denying the whole it can be aware of as being deserving of equalality!?this is apparent both in an individual and the country/organization/beliefs he/she attends to/and feels reciprocated with!?time is money if money is survival at a level of chosen/OFFERED comfort!?and if technology is hostage to money and science is the provider then science will have to be more religious/moral minded then religion if it wishes to overcome this perceived/real threat!?so the solving of the problems we can each be aware of on a daily or worldly scope defines the current USE of our time!?the dominating personal expression effecting the whole!?and while it is religion that attemps to deal with this issue of personal expression,it is unfortunately hampered by the overwhelming desire of a man to use technology as a means to be totally autonomous!?certainly this seeming division must not be allowed to be sold as an all or nothing agenda!?especially not to those that are in desperate circumstances!?so it's not the ideas/ideals that are the danger/threat,but the abused/misstated accusitive reactionery coloring native to the unequality awareness caused by struggle/desperation/circumstances that pits one group/individual against another!?for these emotionally impressed conditions can create permanent attitudes!?for the individual and the chosen group!?so what else is new!?hehe!!.....just askin....

well ya gotta admit,getting things out in the open can at least offer the opportunity for the possibility of cooperation in the sense that those that are not aware of the scope of any issue may at least get there eyes and ears attuned to the seeming/looming crisis at hand!?this statement may be simple and obvious,yet if one decides to do something to help out,this is where the complications come in!?but like i mentioned in my earlier post,it is basically a conflict between the emotional man vs the reasoning man.one is attracted to ideas of personal powers and the other is attracted to the understanding of the universe as we find it!?i mean one of the problems with science and also religion is that they are splintered and specialized and in non agreement!?so both are now seen to seek absolute control so as to get the ball rolling at a clip that would lead somewhere soon!?no man likes to look out at the world the media throws to his door everyday and not feel threatened/angry or heartbroken!?but you will have to admit that both views of the world have there own merits!?where the problem comes in is obviously the fact that some men are able to fit all the pieces together without demanding that anything be unnecessarily trashed!?but at this stage it would seem that the burden has fallen on scientifically minded men to provide the means to overcome the seen unbalance of purposes at work in society and the world!?so yes,they need reasonable/sincere voices to promote the principles of the idea that understanding leads to better living!?now then you might wonder what the underlying force that keeps this from happening sooner is!i would say it is time!?or the definition of time as experienced by most of society.on the one hand in a small/and or primitive society time is the natural daily cooperation necessary for the survival of all against the elements!?and as that success by trial and error leads to greater things there comes a new definition of time where the technological side of the equation if/when persued for it's own ends leads to a fragmentation of purposes and can create an unbalanced approach to life that may/has reached proportions that are realized to be threatening to the whole!and this is a basic intelligence that all men have about things!?so now the definition of time becomes survival of the ideal as defined by the possibilties inherent in it's persuers!?but as long as the cumulative effect of these time definitions are felt by most men as equitable and progressive for all then where is the problem!?but if technology allows men to compare the inequalities of time while that same technological ability is NOT providing TIMELY answers,then this creates a vacuum to be filled by anything that can promise to do so!?if we are to consider the proposed threat felt by the frustrated man or the successful man it really all comes down to who or what ideal has control over time!?time being the way a man measures/compares and acts out his existence against the environment he finds himself in!?so the definition of a fundamentalist could either be a practical man or an extremist!?so how anything is defined is relative to the person doing the defining!?no matter what idea/idealism is trying to claim the right to provide answers for problems as long as the fact of inequality can be seen openly there must be a cooperation amoung those that want to answer it's call to equality for all!?so obviously we are now a world wide community thru technological acheivement but lack the will/means to effect the good of the whole!?because in each fragmented economical unit that unit sees itself as justified in denying the whole it can be aware of as being deserving of equalality!?this is apparent both in an individual and the country/organization/beliefs he/she attends to/and feels reciprocated with!?time is money if money is survival at a level of chosen/OFFERED comfort!?and if technology is hostage to money and science is the provider then science will have to be more religious/moral minded then religion if it wishes to overcome this perceived/real threat!?so the solving of the problems we can each be aware of on a daily or worldly scope defines the current USE of our time!?the dominating personal expression effecting the whole!?and while it is religion that attemps to deal with this issue of personal expression,it is unfortunately hampered by the overwhelming desire of a man to use technology as a means to be totally autonomous!?certainly this seeming division must not be allowed to be sold as an all or nothing agenda!?especially not to those that are in desperate circumstances!?so it's not the ideas/ideals that are the danger/threat,but the abused/misstated accusitive reactionery coloring native to the unequality awareness caused by struggle/desperation/circumstances that pits one group/individual against another!?for these emotionally impressed conditions can create permanent attitudes!?for the individual and the chosen group!?so what else is new!?hehe!!.....just askin....
    Well ya gotta admit... something...hehe!! just askin.

Thats all I read, and all I am going to read if you insist on posting like that.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Well ya gotta admit... something...hehe!! just askin.

Thats all I read, and all I am going to read if you insist on posting like that.
    Wow... its posts like that that made me block Lexx. And yet every once in a while someone quotes his entire message just to say they disapprove, thereby allowing it to bypass the block...

Not sure how I feel about that.......

OUCH!!!
    My brain hurts......again!

"it is unfortunately hampered by the overwhelming desire of a man to use technology as a means to be totally autonomous!"
    I gave up on automatic [autonomous] transmissions long ago. I always thought that they were a product of witchcraft, ungodly, inspired by satan.
    Plus they're no good in the snow.
    Shift gingerly bro lexx, me thinks thou may be crunching a fly wheel.
    he he !! OR WHAT?!

I'm into chapter 3 or so of the God Delusion now. It is awesome. He really has gone to town putting everything together. This book is the culmination of a lifetime dedicated to finding real solutions to religious stupidity.

10 out of 5 stars.