+ Reply to Thread

GC Requires W9 for ALL gifts!

Not cool...

Let's say that hypothetically I'm not quite 18... Will they know?

I just got this in a reply, when I questioned about my gift...

Please be advised that we are required by law to notify the IRS regarding your gift. You will be required to submit a W9 form to us as part of the gift fulfillment process regardless of the value of the gift award. Please complete and sign your W9 form and return it to us as soon as possible so we can fulfill your gift within 6 to 8 weeks. Be sure to include your email address and the website through which you are redeeming the gift award in the account number space provided on the W9 form. Refer to www.irs.gov for any questions you have on the W9 requirements.
    Last edited by Samsong; 11-14-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Re: GC Requires W9 for ALL gifts!

Who in the hell is GC?

WHAT do they do?

WHAT is their website address?

WHERE are they advertised?

How many one-legged aliens are in the 14th crater from the south pole of PLUTO?

How in the HELL are we supposed to tell you ANYTHING if you give us NOTHING TO CHECK?

GC is GadgetCity, which is run by a company called Netblue (fka YFDirect). As far as I know, GC is in line to be phased out for Netblue's new sites. If you do not know what GC is, then the post obviously wasn't meant for you (i.e. you don't know enough to respond).

As for the legitimate question asked, all sites run by Netblue require W9s now for gifts and have for a few months now. Yes, it is a pain, but the fact of the matter is you are supposed to report all of your 'gifts' from these sites to the IRS as income. In fact, if you do look around the IRS website (I posted the direct link in another thread but you can find it yourself if you look), you will find that they are the ones who stipulate that non-employee compensation beyond $600 must be reported and a W9 is required. Unfortunately, I think you might be kinda screwed on your gift. It is illegal to falsify any information on the W9, so do not even try. The only thing I think you can do is have a family member fill it out with their information and hope that GC does not try to disqualify you for it. Whatever you do though, I do hope that you get your gift, even if you are "technically" too young to do it.

clois

The all important question though, is, do GC's vouchers require you to sign to the fact that you are 18? If they don't, then you're all set. The W9 won't ask your age.

As far as the W9, GC will probablyll just take the W9 info, slap it into their computers and come tax time they'll generate a 1099 (misc income) for you. If the IRS cannot verify the information on the 1099 (GC has to send copies to the gov't too, the the gov't is supposed to cross check and make sure you included that info in your return) then they'll notify GC that info is either missing or incorrect. If it cannot be rectified, then the youknowwhat would hit the fan. They'll have your address, so the IRS will be able to find you. So, it's VERY BAD, to falsify any info on your W9, mm'kay?

Excellent point, the W9 does not require your DOB. It has been some time since I have had to send in a cert for any Netblue site, but as I recall you don't have to sign anything. Of course, their TOS do state that you must be over 18 (or at least they did when I signed up), and you agreed to those when you signed up. As long as you can pay the taxes for your gift, then I guess you will be alright. Thanks chimps for pointing that stuff out.

clois

Hm... If I did correctly fill out the w9, what's the chance that they would catch it? Do you think that anything would happen other then getting disqualified from the gift?
    And are there any other sites that require a w9 for every gift? It just kinda makes me think of identity theft...
    Last edited by Samsong; 11-14-2006 at 04:46 PM.

The only sites that I have had to fill a W9 for are those run by Netblue/YFDirect and NuiTech/NiuTech. They wouldn't be able to catch you just from the W9. And no, I wouldn't worry about identity theft, at least not with this particular company. Sites run by Brandarama don't require a W9 at this point, but they are not the best company to deal with.

clois

Ok, thanks. I'm going to take your advice and send it in then, but your sure it's okay to use my info? I think going to juve* for this would suck!
    *juvenile detention

I am pretty sure that the worst that could happen is that they deny you your gift. I think you will be fine, although I have to admit that I am glad that I don't have to worry about it.

Oh, and nice use of footnote :) Besides, they would probably try you as an adult (j/k).

Thanks... I think... Although I don't feel much better about it...

Wouldn't worry about it, if you don't mind me asking ... um, are you working now? Although, if you're still THAT young or not making that much money you won't end up owing. If you're under a certain amount of money earned per year you get it all back anyway or end up at least not owing anything.

Does the GC voucher say anything about "stating you're at least 18... yadda yadda yadda" ?

To be honest, I'm 14. What voucher are you talking about? If you mean the t.erms* and conditions, then it only says I must be at least 18, but makes no threats if otherwise. As you probably know, the w9 form says nothing about age.

*Why is the the word t.erm not allowed?
    Last edited by Samsong; 11-15-2006 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsong
    What voucher are you talking about?
    The voucher you have to mail in when an offer is approved.

Received :cool:
    GadgetCity - Apple 2GB iPod nano White
    GadgetCity - $250 check for Nintendo Wii

Confirmed :)
    none at the moment

In the works :confused:
    none at the moment

I don't know, I mailed them in several months ago. My item was confirmed when I learned I needed to send in the w9.
    Received:

EFG - Nintendo DS
    GC - Wii (check)

It's all good though, customer support just emailed me and said the got the w9, so, by my math, it will ship on January 15th. By the way, it's for a Wii. Do you think the chances of me getting a check are high, or will they have a good supply after Christmas?
    Received:

EFG - Nintendo DS
    GC - Wii (check)