+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415

Thread: Direct Buy

Re: Direct Buy

Yelling doesn't make your statement true.

Direct Buy's business practices are subject to further scrutiny, and the "Fact" is that in some states they are not able to operate, because those business practices are in conflict with state laws....

dubious: du·bi·ous
    adjective \ˈdü-bē-əs also dyü-\
    def : giving rise to uncertainty: as

a : of doubtful promise or outcome dubious plan>

b : questionable or suspect as to true nature or quality dubious legality>

Wokndadog......You are not being 100% factual with your statement here.

In a very few states, Direct Buy's membership sales tactics are what is in question. (In fact, you should post which states you claim that DB is illegal in....) I think you are wrong here in what you are assuming.

The business model of DirectBuy itself is not in question. Members buy at manufacturer's direct price with no retail markup. Your assertion that you can't save any money is just plain wrong and I've proven it. The founder of Direct Buy, James Gagan, even wrote a book about the club and its founding. You should read it, then you'll understand more.

In fact, the more I read your statements, the more convinced I am that you are actually not a member at all, but a person who wants to dissuade others from joining.

Direct Buy is not a scam, even though many of their high pressure sales tactics to get people to commit to membership are very unsavory.

I think DB should abandon the 'you have to buy it today or you never get another chance' sales practice. Personally, I'd love to see somebody walk away and then come back the next day with money in hand and say you'd like to join. I'd be willing to bet DB would take the money.

The sad problem that leads to all the angst about the membership sales practices is that for DB's franchise owners, the only way to make money is to sell more memberships. Franchisees make almost no money on the transactions themselves so they have to rely on membership growth to be profitable. That leads a very small number of franchisees to engage in unsavory sales practices which leads to complaints. Which leads some uneducated people to make assumptions without knowing what they are talking about.

The fact is that DirectBuy is simply not a scam. You can save tremendous amounts of money if you work to be an informed consumer. The founder of the company, James Gagan, actually wrote a book about his founding of the company which explains in much more detail about how the system works and how you can save money.

I hate to even bring this up but there was another poster here some time ago who was a strong doubter and she challenged members to provide proof that there are real savings. (I did provide just such proof and she since has been silent). But I'm going to invoke this and ask Wokndadog to provide proof that there was no savings on items. I'd like you to show us what items you were looking for with the quote or price for Direct Buy, then provide copies of the receipts of what you bought elsewhere for less.

You've made a bunch of statements here without backing them up and now that I've read them more completely, it's clear that you actually are not a member.

If you are, I'd like you to post what club you are a member of, how many digits are in your membership number and what does it start with. You don't have to give your name so you can stay anonymous and the information I've requested you post won't give you away. If you don't post this then we all will learn that you really aren't a member like you claim you are AND most importantly all your claims that you can't save money are just myths.

The only thing dubious is all of the claims you've made.
    Last edited by markmywordz; 11-20-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markmywordz View Post

In a very few states, Direct Buy's membership sales tactics are what is in question.
    It was 35 States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. 37 Attorney Generals in total.

This information has already been supplied in posts 157, and 200.

And last I checked 35 was more the half of 50.

In fact, I believe that 35 of 50 is around 70%.

70% is hardly 'a very few'.

Oh, and I see that these are still up as well. (See Post# 114).
    pubcit.typepad.com/2007/10/dont-publish-this.

consumerist.com/2007/10/09/donning-copyright-cloak-directbuy-forbids-posting-of-cease-and-desist-letter-sent-to-consumer-opinion.
    Last edited by nomaxim; 11-24-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added links.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

Actually, I am...

You've made a bunch of statements here without backing them up and now that I've read them more completely, it's clear that you actually are not a member.
    Actually, I am....

If you are, I'd like you to post what club you are a member of, how many digits are in your membership number and what does it start with.
    I am sure you would LIKE that, but NO!

You don't have to give your name so you can stay anonymous and the information I've requested you post won't give you away.
    Utterly UNTRUE... It has now become clear you either work for DB or have an ownership interest in a DB Franchise, therefore you know enough about the formula used to calculate Membership ID's and how to use that info to help Identify a specific member.

If you don't post this then we all will learn that you really aren't a member like you claim you are AND most importantly all your claims that you can't save money are just myths.
    I have no need to prove myself to you, as long as I know the truth. However just for fun you can look at my signature image.. a photo of my membership card with membership year shown. That is a close as I will get to disclosing my personal identity to you.
    Last edited by wokndadog; 01-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Fair enough....I believe you may be a member or at least know somebody who is. That card is just like mine.
    I do not work for nor have any ownership interest in any Direct Buy clubs. Although I admit when I first joined when it was still called United Consumers Club, I read the book by the founder Mr. Gagan and I thought about trying to become a club owner. Until I realized the only way to make money as a club owner was to sell memberships. I was much more interested in helping people get the great deals you get from manufacturers and I did not have much interest in selling club memberships.

That's where I think people get such a sour taste for the club. The pressure by the owners is high to sell memberships which leads to things like high pressure sales tactics and the like. I don't like that and apparently neither do consumers.

But beyond that, it is simply not true for you to say there are no deals and that you can't save money at DB. That's just not true 100% of the time. It might be true on some items but those are very, very limited.

Yes there are times when it is cheaper to buy certain things elsewhere. But in those cases, DB usually doesn't even sell them. They have what are called 'Reference Catalogs' that you can look at to see items but they wont' even take orders from them because they know you can get them cheaper elsewhere. These are usually items that retailers sell for almost no profit or even as loss leaders. So of course, you can't get savings at DB on those items. You referenced one such item on a power supply. I'd argue that's an example of a loss leader you can buy at a big box for the same as DB.

But on most other items, you do save money.

Most recent example, I just bought a comforter set for my bed. It was an Michael Amini collection. The cheapest I could find it online was at Amazon for $949 with no tax and free shipping. I got it from Direct Buy for $499, plus tax, service charge and shipping for a total of $604. I saved $345, a 36% savings from Amazon's sale price. And, I'm not even considering the savings off the MSRP....which would be much higher than that.

There aren't a lot of savings on things like TVs and small electronics. Not worth a membership if that's all you are going to buy.

But on big ticket items and on things like upholstered furniture, luggage, china and flatware, etc. the savings are significant and well worth it.

And as much as haters want to try to make people think the club is some sort of scam, they are just lying. Period.

NoMaxim....
    You are mixing up arguments here. The sale of Club Memberships is different from the operation of the clubs and whether you can save money. The lawsuit is about the sale of memberships. I agree that the tactics employed are unsavory and should be ended.
    But the fact remains that people here are trying to say you can't save money at DB and that's just not true....lawsuit or not. The savings do indeed exist and but sadly for many its likely not worth a membership. It's too bad that the membership sales process doesn't give you enough info to evaluate whether you can save enough to justify the cost of the membership.
    But for others, especially those who will be buying lots of high tickets items soon, it is very well worth it.

:rasta:

I'm sorry, this site does mot have a smilie for someone whom has drunk the kool-aid.
    Wishing will not make it true.

A lot has been said in this thread: lies, half truths, and good advice. Wading through the thread will test the patience of the most stoic. So I think a quick summary is in order.

1. Is Directbuy a scam? Yes and No. I say, No, because if you give them money it's not like the next week when you go to the warehouse all you will find is a padlocked door with no way to get your money back. But I say, Yes, because...keep reading.
    2. Is Directbuy a good deal? This is the important question. The shills will twist this into making you believe you will save oodles. Don't believe them. It's not a good deal. At least not at the current price of membership. If it was only $500 to join then maybe, but only maybe.

So there you have it. Now wasn't that easy? Let's review:

Directbuy scam? No
    Directbuy good deal? No

Now, you have been edumacated.

One more piece of advice: if you have $5000 burning a hole in your wallet or whatever it costs to join these days, then go buy a timeshare somewhere. At least you can sell that once you figure out what a bad deal that was.

I've seen people that are extremely brilliant and they don't have the staying power. They don’t have that never give up quality. I've always said that other than bad ideas, which is a reason for failure, the ability to never ever quit or give up is something that is very, very important for success as an entrepreneur.

Interesting,

I remember this deal from decades ago, locally, and then poof, they were gone, but I see they still exist. The thing that turned me off was the way they sold deal, high pressure, similar to the old timeshare sales pitch. lol

I check prices on everything before I make a purchase, and when I did my due diligence, it would take a lot of major purchases to even break even on what the membership cost at the time. Now with the internet the price search tool and the century, no doubt anyone can find the same if not better prices for same exact item. I am surprised this deal is still around, but live and learn.

Success to all,

I had a direct buy membership maybe 6 years ago and I saved half of my membership fees just on doing my basement. The very best carpet the very best lamps the very best lights on the walls custom cabinets it was awesome. But when I look at amazon.com now with Free Shipping no tax its really incredible and it is a consumer's market. I have a friend that runs a high end designer eyeglass store and he's almost out of business. DirectBuy was high pressure but I was I already knew that going on and I'm a big boy so it was no big deal. Plus they let me look at all the catalogs and we ended up getting higher quality products and half the price Plus half of my membership paid for on my first order. Then I got golf clubs forget about it. I saved hundreds of dollars. They were good to me and I let my membership lapse for a couple of years and I jump back in fairly cheap. I don't like them getting bad press here on scam. Com but I can't stop what people type unless its a blatant lie or threats. But I do want to share my story with you and say that they were great. If you're thinking about doing a bathroom or kitchen or even just shower heads trust me you're getting so scammed with Home Depot Lowes and all those other places you have no idea and if you're dealing with decorator they will appreciate a direct buy membership because they can do more for less andcan make more of a profit.

OK....for those of you who have been following this thread for a long time know I was a big supporter of the club because of the savings involved and to answer many of the mis-truths about the club that you can't save money. I have been a DirectBuy member since 1996 when it was known as United Consumer Club. Then it was TotalHome and now DirectBuy. Back then memberships were reasonable. Mine was $1800 and a $99 annual renewal fee. When we first signed up my wife and I had been shopping hard for a particular bedroom furniture set that listed for more than $20,000 and we were just about to buy it for $14,000 at a local retailer when we joined UCC and got it for less than $5,000. So I didn't mind paying the $100 renewal fee and went on to buy lots more stuff. However, over the years the renewal fee was ticked up to $199 last year and for this year they've raised it again to $299 and for me that's the last straw. I have decided not to renew because now the savings don't justify the fee. I feel badly for the people who joined recently and have to pay the upwards of $5,000 joining fee and $300 per year renewal. I am no longer in the 'acquiring' mode where I need to buy high ticket items where the membership makes sense. And, I think the company is getting greedy on renewals. If they were smart, they'd keep the annual renewals cheaper. So this may be my last post here. DirectBuy is not a scam and you can save money there but you have to be in the market for a lot of high dollar, high markup items. Otherwise, you are better off using the more advanced online shopping tools that just weren't available when this club started.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    I had a direct buy membership maybe 6 years ago and I saved half of my membership fees just on doing my basement. The very best carpet the very best lamps the very best lights on the walls custom cabinets it was awesome. But when I look at amazon.com now with Free Shipping no tax its really incredible and it is a consumer's market. I have a friend that runs a high end designer eyeglass store and he's almost out of business. DirectBuy was high pressure but I was I already knew that going on and I'm a big boy so it was no big deal. Plus they let me look at all the catalogs and we ended up getting higher quality products and half the price Plus half of my membership paid for on my first order. Then I got golf clubs forget about it. I saved hundreds of dollars. They were good to me and I let my membership lapse for a couple of years and I jump back in fairly cheap. I don't like them getting bad press here on scam. Com but I can't stop what people type unless its a blatant lie or threats. But I do want to share my story with you and say that they were great. If you're thinking about doing a bathroom or kitchen or even just shower heads trust me you're getting so scammed with Home Depot Lowes and all those other places you have no idea and if you're dealing with decorator they will appreciate a direct buy membership because they can do more for less andcan make more of a profit.
    This is what I like to see about people having a good experience with a company while many others complain about it. And on top of it you're the admin so it would be easy to just be biased and remove the thread.

When one person succeed it doesn't mean that everybody else that claim it's a scam are wrong like it's often the case here. I have no experience with Direct Buy, so this is just my personal opinion / my 2 cents.

It looks like it can work, and it did for you, so that's a good thing. But looking at what most people posted here, it looks like the recruiting was not made ethically (pressure people into joining, threatened to be banned from joining for X number of years, etc). This sounds a lot like many MLM where the focus is mainly on recruiting because that's what makes the more money for the company, not the services (in this case the retail).

What makes it so hard for a company to properly recruit people, so there wouldn't be 1000s of people failing at what they were told would make them money? Again you could tell me "well the ones that failed didn't put in the proper work / effort" but I just feel that it's caused by the signing up pressure talked about earlier, where people have to make a decision so quickly it's not possible for them to rationalize what they're being sold.

The hard sale tactics that were used back when I was approached was the real turn off, sort of the same set who sell timeshares. lol When I read the member cost today verses a decade ago, I wouldn't even say the $1800. was worth it unless one was making a whole houseful of furniture purchase, then maybe it was worth it, but not for me who was looking at a few things.

Today you can find anything anywhere at the least price with simple search, so I can't see the value of this deal at $5000. which someone mentioned is the current price. The example given sounds a little fishy on the furniture example as I know the cost factors from manufacturer to distributor to retail, and it is not close to the example given. No one sells anything at a lose, even with the higher price of membership. Furniture is always market up, but no one pays retail anywhere anymore if they have half a brain. I could duplicate the price of anything in just a few minutes searching the wholesale direct furniture manufacturers, that is where I buy all my furniture without have to pay a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    If you're thinking about doing a bathroom or kitchen or even just shower heads trust me you're getting so scammed with Home Depot Lowes and all those other places you have no idea
    It has been quite a while since I visited this thread, and just as I suspected, more detritus has been posted. I don't care that you are the Admin (aka sviat) and own this site. This much I do know: if you truly believe that Home Depot and Lowes are scamming people, then your bar for scams is so low that 1) I question your judgement as the admin for this site or 2) by your measure, I can 100% guarantee that DB is scamming people. So which is it? Maybe you want to back off from that crazy position you have taken? These sort of statements make you sound uninformed at best and like a shill at worst.

Also, anyone who tries to defend DB based on experiences from 6 years ago or from the mid-90s—in the case of markmywordz—are no different than a shill either. Shills conveniently omit the fact that their experience was from 20 years ago or that it was someone else's experience they tout as their own. They will parrot ad nauseum that they saved thousands and thousands. However, the world has changed with the rise of Amazon and other online shopping outlets.

Lastly, shills will make the equally preposterous claim that the single loss leading item in a catalog is representative of every single item in the catalog. Or, a truly naive member will stupidly assume the 50% they saved on a single item can be extrapolated to every single item in the catalog and that the 50% saved represents some sort of lower bound to the potential savings.

And they will repeat all these examples, like pounding a hammer to your head , until you finally submit.

There is so much stupidity in shill behavior it is no wonder this is the only job they can get. They wouldn't last one day at a legitimate firm.

I don't think like that!