+ Reply to Thread

Family Heritage - You Decide

I am currently employed by Family Heritage Life. Currently I am selling their Cancer Policy. I just received a call from the head of our group informing me that I OWE them $1500. Let me explain the process. First you will go and meet with the interviewer and have an "interview" - which is more of a sales pitch than anything. Then, you are allowed to ride with another salesman - who happens to be their best salesman in the company so it seems very easy to do.
    If you decide that you are going to jump on board with them you have to get licensed first( at least a week of training @ $200 for the class, then take the state and national test for $80-if you pass your first time)
    Once you pass your test they will immediately (no price shopping here) book you on a flight for the following week to Dallas or Nashville for "sales training". The cost of this flight doesn't matter to them because YOU are eventually responsible for this cost. Then you are put into a hotel room and the "sales training" begins on Monday. "Sales training" is 12-14 hours a day of useless information and Hoo-ra b.s. that will bore you to death and helps to prepare you for the cult that is Family Heritage, not to train you how to sell. The only thing out of this training that is valuable in the field is the "approaches" that could be taught in a few hours. The rest is utterly useless and horrible as far as training is concerned. Their training is nothing but an ADDITIONAL INCOME STREAM for the company that you get to pay for :yelcutelaughA:.
    It is REQUIRED for you to go through their training which they ultimately charge TO YOU WITH INTEREST.
    Now it is time to get out in the field. Keep in mind that you haven't made a penny in the previous 2-3 (bare minumum) weeks-worse yet is that you have gone INTO DEBT to the company. Sounds GREAT so far huh?? Well now you get to go out and try your newly learned craft !!!
    A few things to keep in mind - you are an independent contractor in name only. The micromanagement is unbelievable - company wide phone meetings 3 times a week, daily phone calls to your superiors ( I had 3 superiors ), well they are "technically" your equal to keep things legal since you are an independent contractor, filling out your daily schedule forms, nightly phone calls to see how many doors you have knocked on, etc., etc. It is a CULT LIKE atmosphere.
    It is funny how they spin things to look like they are the so great. I will give you an example of how you get paid. Lets say you make a $100 a month sale and you are at a 30% commission rate. Well they are such a gracious company that they will "front" you 7 months of commission (with a 10% interest rate) so 30% of $100 is $30- so they advance you 7 months of commission for a total of $210. That's what they pay you on your commission check. BUT the other 5 months of commission is ate up by the interest that they charge (ohh family heritage is so good to meeeee). Now if a client were to cancel - guess who gets to pay the balance owed ??? Yep, you.
    So how do I owe them $1500? Sales training = $1000 and I sold 6 policies= $500 LOL- you will actually owe them money for selling policies. Pretty awesome huh.

Re: Family Heritage - You Decide

Quote Originally Posted by brikhouse71 View Post
    I am currently employed by Family Heritage Life. Currently I am selling their Cancer Policy. I just received a call from the head of our group informing me that I OWE them $1500. Let me explain the process. First you will go and meet with the interviewer and have an "interview" - which is more of a sales pitch than anything. Then, you are allowed to ride with another salesman - who happens to be their best salesman in the company so it seems very easy to do.
    If you decide that you are going to jump on board with them you have to get licensed first( at least a week of training @ $200 for the class, then take the state and national test for $80-if you pass your first time)
    Once you pass your test they will immediately (no price shopping here) book you on a flight for the following week to Dallas or Nashville for "sales training". The cost of this flight doesn't matter to them because YOU are eventually responsible for this cost. Then you are put into a hotel room and the "sales training" begins on Monday. "Sales training" is 12-14 hours a day of useless information and Hoo-ra b.s. that will bore you to death and helps to prepare you for the cult that is Family Heritage, not to train you how to sell. The only thing out of this training that is valuable in the field is the "approaches" that could be taught in a few hours. The rest is utterly useless and horrible as far as training is concerned. Their training is nothing but an ADDITIONAL INCOME STREAM for the company that you get to pay for :yelcutelaughA:.
    It is REQUIRED for you to go through their training which they ultimately charge TO YOU WITH INTEREST.
    Now it is time to get out in the field. Keep in mind that you haven't made a penny in the previous 2-3 (bare minumum) weeks-worse yet is that you have gone INTO DEBT to the company. Sounds GREAT so far huh?? Well now you get to go out and try your newly learned craft !!!
    A few things to keep in mind - you are an independent contractor in name only. The micromanagement is unbelievable - company wide phone meetings 3 times a week, daily phone calls to your superiors ( I had 3 superiors ), well they are "technically" your equal to keep things legal since you are an independent contractor, filling out your daily schedule forms, nightly phone calls to see how many doors you have knocked on, etc., etc. It is a CULT LIKE atmosphere.
    It is funny how they spin things to look like they are the so great. I will give you an example of how you get paid. Lets say you make a $100 a month sale and you are at a 30% commission rate. Well they are such a gracious company that they will "front" you 7 months of commission (with a 10% interest rate) so 30% of $100 is $30- so they advance you 7 months of commission for a total of $210. That's what they pay you on your commission check. BUT the other 5 months of commission is ate up by the interest that they charge (ohh family heritage is so good to meeeee). Now if a client were to cancel - guess who gets to pay the balance owed ??? Yep, you.
    So how do I owe them $1500? Sales training = $1000 and I sold 6 policies= $500 LOL- you will actually owe them money for selling policies. Pretty awesome huh.
    How did you make the sales? Cold calling or door to door?