+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Is "Born Again" Chrisitianity a Cult?

OK, I think it might be time to bring up this subject in light of recent discussions on Roman Catholics, Mormons, Athiests and Muslims.

For obvious reasons I'm going to try to stay out of this topic but I think in all fairness, we should explore the "born again" experience and see what is discussed.

So, those who aren't Christians, let's not bash the Christians for being Christians and Christians, let's not bash the non-believers for being non believers. OK?

Right, I got that off my chest for all the good it will do, lol.

So, is being "born again" a real phenominom or is it just a cult following started 2,000 years ago by those who wrote the bible?

Be nice,

Lady Mod

Re: Is "Born Again" Chrisitianity a Cult?

Despite your efforts of having this topic remain "nice" - my gut tells me it's not. And I don't really know enough about Born Agains to form an opinion. But I am curious to see how this unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23
    Despite your efforts of having this topic remain "nice" - my gut tells me it's not. And I don't really know enough about Born Agains to form an opinion. But I am curious to see how this unfolds.
    Bless your heart, do you mean that after all the preaching aimed at you, you still haven't formed an opinion?

You are truly a longsuffering person, lisan. ;)

LM

... to be honest I just skim it - I don't really read it that much. Mostly because I'm not that interested. I have a really hard time accepting things like rapture and not having to be accountable. (At least that's how it's been explained here. You just confess and then you're good. Well, with a little more to it, but not much.) But if I really did want to make an informed opinion on whether or not born agains are a cult - I would have to know more than what the people on this board have told me. Plus personal opinions are never the best way to learn about a religion.

So, is being "born again" a real phenominom or is it just a cult following started 2,000 years ago by those who wrote the bible?
    From what I understand, the label "born again" has sprung up only recently to describe a particular group of Protestant Christians, although I've never been quite sure which particular beliefs denote one's belonging to this group. Evangelicals, perhaps?

Or are you simply referring to Protestants in general?

... to be honest I just skim it - I don't really read it that much. Mostly because I'm not that interested. I have a really hard time accepting things like rapture and not having to be accountable. (At least that's how it's been explained here. You just confess and then you're good. Well, with a little more to it, but not much.) But if I really did want to make an informed opinion on whether or not born agains are a cult - I would have to know more than what the people on this board have told me. Plus personal opinions are never the best way to learn about a religion.
    Well said. My hope here is that maybe the "born agains" can better explain what they believe without bashing another belief while in the process?

And that both sides can get a better idea of what the other thinks and/or has been exposed to.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian

Or are you simply referring to Protestants in general?
    No, I'm referring to those who consider themselves "Born Again" Christians. That particular belief is not specific to one particular religious belief.

I don't know how recent you consider recent. The "Born Again" (getting "saved" is another expression of the same thing) movement was in full swing before I accepted it as a personal truth 30 years ago.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    No, I'm referring to those who consider themselves "Born Again" Christians. That particular belief is not specific to one particular religious belief.

I don't know how recent you consider recent. The "Born Again" (getting "saved" is another expression of the same thing) movement was in full swing before I accepted it as a personal truth 30 years ago.

Lady Mod

I was thinking in the context of the past 2,000 years and in relation to the widespread use of the term "born again" to describe Christians.

Labels like that confuse me, and I bet they confuse unbelievers as well. We have far too many of them. What's wrong with simply calling oneself a Christian -- one who has accepted Christ as Savior? ;)
    Last edited by yossarian; 11-09-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Labels like that confuse me, and I bet they confuse unbelievers as well. We have far too many of them. What's wrong with simply calling oneself a Christian -- one who has accepted Christ as Savior? ;)
    Because if you read the threads here, "Born Again" Christians do not believe that everyone who calls themself a "Christian" has accepted Christ as Savior and is "Born Again/Saved:".

There are caveats that go with the label.

See?

Lady Mod

I was thinking in the context of the past 2,000 years and in relation to the widespread use of the term "born again" to describe Christians.

I get it now. The "getting saved" part helped.
    Terrific. When I say 2,000 years I am leaving Jesus out of it in the respect that he could be called a leader of a cult. We only have it on the word of those who wrote the original letters as well as those who translated them into english, say so that the words we read were actually the words Jesus spoke. See?

Jesus could have said something different that was then recorded to show the author's preference or the translator's preference. Paul brought many of his Pharisee teachings into his letters. Now, he's one of my favorite writers so I'm not knocking anything he is said to have written, but his background sometimes "colored" his approach and lessons. I think in some ways, that was the demon he had to continually wrestle with. But that is just my opinion.

Lady Mod

Because if you read the threads here, "Born Again" Christians do not believe that everyone who calls themself a "Christian" has accepted Christ as Savior and is "Born Again/Saved:".

Interesting. I guess I haven't read enough threads yet.

It might be helpful to those of us who still aren't clear on all the ins and outs of this specific term to outline the caveats that go along with it. Would you mind posting a set of criteria that points to being 'born again' or not?

It would be a good starting point, at least, so we are all on the same page before the discussion begins.

See?

Lady Mod

Also... who, specifically, are they talking about? (Those who call themselves Christians but really aren't)... just Mormons or others as well?

........................Yes

Blah, each religion has a different definition of what Christian is, though, so it is all inclusive of their religion only and not others. The technical definition of Christianity would include mormons, catholics, and others though. (Simply put, christian = someone who believes in Christ. Technically speaking.)

Let's just keep it to the born again/saved and leave the word christian out of it. To complicated. It's already complicated enough.

truthbearer Guest

Blah, each religion has a different definition of what Christian is, though, so it is all inclusive of their religion only and not others. The technical definition of Christianity would include mormons, catholics, and others though. (Simply put, christian = someone who believes in Christ. Technically speaking.)

Let's just keep it to the born again/saved and leave the word christian out of it. To complicated. It's already complicated enough.
    I agree whole heartedly with the fact many people as well have a different definition.

Lisan is very correct even in Pauls day,,for paul warned, and warned and warned in Galatians chapter 1:6-12 and harshly rebukes all who do not have the only one definition of christianity correct..so, if you want to be saved it is up to you to make sure which ONE is correct for according to Paul all others are damned to hell including any angel that would preach ANY OTHER message, gospel, testament, or Spirit...

For the warnings are so severe those who include as Lisan said called and "Inclusive" gospel it is cursed in the eye's of God of the Bible indeed. Many will come in Christ's name..that is in the name of christianity and he will say depart from me..

So here's the test folks...Will the real Jesus please stand up....and he has stood up in his word which so many in the so called christian faith reject time and time again. THERE IS ONLY ONE true christian ,,all other "INCLUSIVE" christians Paul say' are simply cursed and damned..

Not a very nice message for a forum community..Paul would not do well here in this atmosphere of tolereance and inclusiveness,,I would suspect he would be the very first shunned in this forum were he to say the things here that he clearly said in galatians and hundreds of other places throughout the entire New testament.

TB

TB

OK, I think it might be time to bring up this subject in light of recent discussions on Roman Catholics, Mormons, Athiests and Muslims.

For obvious reasons I'm going to try to stay out of this topic but I think in all fairness, we should explore the "born again" experience and see what is discussed.

So, those who aren't Christians, let's not bash the Christians for being Christians and Christians, let's not bash the non-believers for being non believers. OK?

Right, I got that off my chest for all the good it will do, lol.

Be nice,

Lady Mod

How does it stand up to the Cult Evaluation examination found on another thread?