+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Exit Polls: Scandals and Iraq Hurt GOP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110701186.html
    By WILL LESTER
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006; 10:18 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Iraq war and congressional scandals hurt Republican candidates in the midterm elections, as the GOP lost the advantage on their central issue of terrorism, exit polls found.

Three-fourths of voters said corruption and scandal were important to their votes, and they were more likely to vote for Democratic candidates for the House. Iraq was important for just two-thirds, and they also leaned toward supporting Democrats.

Voters who said terrorism was an important issue split their support between the two parties.

With many voters angry at President Bush and the Republican leadership in Congress, Democrats were winning the vote among several groups that have usually been very closely contested _ independents, moderates, the middle class and suburban women, according to exit polls.

A dozen years after Republicans won the support of middle-class voters, that group came home to Democrats. The middle-class leaned heavily toward the GOP in the last two elections.

Among white voters, Democrats and Republicans split the vote for the House _ four years after the GOP dominated the white vote. And three-fourths of Hispanics backed Democrats and a fourth backed the GOP _ a step backward after Republicans wooed Hispanics during the last few years.

For some voters, it was important to have a balance of power in Washington.

Norman Moore, 70, a retired editor from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn., decided to vote for Democratic Senate candidate Harold Ford Jr. about two or three weeks ago. "I do think Democratic control of Congress would put the brakes on this administration," he said.

Those most concerned about scandals and corruption _ about four in 10 of all voters _ were far more likely to vote Democratic. Most white evangelicals said corruption was very important in their vote and almost a third of them voted Democratic, according to a national exit poll of 11,798 voters conducted for AP and television networks by Edison Media Research and Mitofsky International. Results for the full sample were subject to sampling error of plus or minus 1 percentage point, higher for subgroups.

Four in 10 said they were voting to oppose Bush, almost twice the number who voted to back him.

Gwen McIntosh, 56, of Cincinnati, is a registered Democrat who voted a straight Democratic ticket.

"I know Ken Blackwell (the Republican gubernatorial candidate in Ohio), and I thought about crossing over on that one, but I decided I would stick with the Democrats," McIntosh said. "I think in the back of my mind I probably was voting against Bush."

Congress' job approval was a little worse than the president's. But GOP congressional leaders were less likely to be the target of voters' anger _ about a fifth of voters were mad at them, compared with nearly a third who were angry with Bush.

"There's a good chance Democrats will take the House and Senate and I want to make sure they don't," said Rhonda Gordon, 50, of Arlington, Texas, who voted a straight Republican ticket.

Besides in-person interviews Tuesday, the survey included 1,500 absentee or early voters interviewed by telephone during the past week in 10 states with heavy early voting.

Re: Exit Polls: Scandals and Iraq Hurt GOP

I'm glad for once my opinions are shared by the majority. If only they had understood it then when we all protested that this invasion will be a disaster - 2000 over American lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives ago and trillions of dollars ago....:(

If they had asked about illegal immigration they would have found out that
    that is as much a problem as Iraq or scandals either one. Has anyone ever
    been asked to participate in an exit poll....know anyone who has?

With the "Al Qaida nukes" in place in America, I am sure the repudlickins will ensure that their bogeyman of "terrists" will remind Americans just how soft on terror the dems are. Whatever could be more convenient than the Dems back in control and making changes, when Kaboommm!! a nuke decimates an American city. The Repuds can blame the "softness on the 'terrists'" for the tragedy. Time will tell if I am correct. Everyone ready for Martial Law?
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanadian
    With the "Al Qaida nukes" in place in America, I am sure the repudlickins will ensure that their bogeyman of "terrists" will remind Americans just how soft on terror the dems are. Whatever could be more convenient than the Dems back in control and making changes, when Kaboommm!! a nuke decimates an American city. The Repuds can blame the "softness on the 'terrists'" for the tragedy. Time will tell if I am correct. Everyone ready for Martial Law?
    If we were betting on this - my money would sadly be on you being right Americanadian.. :(

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110701186.html
    By WILL LESTER
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006; 10:18 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Iraq war and congressional scandals hurt Republican candidates in the midterm elections, as the GOP lost the advantage on their central issue of terrorism, exit polls found.

Three-fourths of voters said corruption and scandal were important to their votes, and they were more likely to vote for Democratic candidates for the House. Iraq was important for just two-thirds, and they also leaned toward supporting Democrats.
    Even though Lieberman won tonight as an Independent, I really thought Republicans would have paid more attention to what happened to him during the primary. It was obvious that he lost the Democratic nomination to Lamont because of his relationship with Bush and the administration's views on Iraq. It should have been a wake-up call for Republicans, yet they continued to "stay the course".

There's not a whole lot they could have done about the scandals, but their efforts to distance themselves from the administration were too little, too late. Ignoring how much people dislike this president was a mistake for them. They shouldn't be at all surprised by what happened today.

I'm getting goosebumps...the House has fallen, and the Senate is coming very, very close....:) Now maybe the Iraqi nightmare, the ballooning National Debt, the nauseating corruption and cronyism will be scrutinized and held accountable!

Hey, Grim and the other Neocons should be happy, the DOW is rising. Isn't that supposedly the leading indicator of the economy? LOL, well apparently having Dems in control is good for the economy. Now they have nothing to complain about, they can finally tell the truth about the economy.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    If we were betting on this - my money would sadly be on you being right Americanadian.. :(
    That's my fear too, but I don't think they will do it until closer to 2008 when it's the presidential race.

Lady Mod

More trivia of interest:

President Bush:

“They have not gone the way he would have liked,” press secretary Tony Snow said of the election returns.
    But that was cold comfort for the Republicans, who have controlled the White House and both houses of Congress for most of the time since Bush took office and used their majority to pass large tax cuts and back the war in Iraq.

By 1 a.m. in the East, Democrats had picked up more than 20 House seats now in Republican hands, in all regions of the country. That was well above the 15 they needed to end a long turn in the minority, although the size of their majority depended on numerous races yet uncalled.

"Mr. President we need a new direction in Iraq," said California Democratic Rep. Nancy Pelosi, in line to become the first woman speaker in history.

I think Nancy Pelosi said it all. The country has spoken and it will be good to see Bush have to eat some humble pie after 4 years.

I wish I could watch the news conference this afternoon. Alas, no television at work.

Lady Mod

More trivia of interest:

President Bush:

“They have not gone the way he would have liked,” press secretary Tony Snow said of the election returns.
    But that was cold comfort for the Republicans, who have controlled the White House and both houses of Congress for most of the time since Bush took office and used their majority to pass large tax cuts and back the war in Iraq.

By 1 a.m. in the East, Democrats had picked up more than 20 House seats now in Republican hands, in all regions of the country. That was well above the 15 they needed to end a long turn in the minority, although the size of their majority depended on numerous races yet uncalled.

"Mr. President we need a new direction in Iraq," said California Democratic Rep. Nancy Pelosi, in line to become the first woman speaker in history.

I think Nancy Pelosi said it all. The country has spoken and it will be good to see Bush have to eat some humble pie after 4 years.

I wish I could watch the news conference this afternoon. Alas, no television at work.

Lady Mod
    For all our neocon friends, please note that crow is the featured dish now being served in the scam.com cafeteria. Today's guest of honor will be Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. Sort of has nice ring to it doesn't it?

President Bush:

I think what Bush does now will determine the legacy he will leave office with. The next two years will define him.

He can continue on as the SOB the American people have now proven they despise, and be known as the worst president in history..
    OR
    He can take advantage of the OPPORTUNITY this election has handed him to prove to the American people that what we think DOES MATTER to him, and leave office in 2 years as a descent man.

As of this a.m., Dems have picked up 33 House seats. But the thing that struck me even more is that NO DEMOCRAT HAS LOST THEIR SEAT... pretty amazing.

This is awesome :)

Maybe a "first woman President" isn't so out of the question after all.. ;)

It's the first time in a long time that I will watch this president on TV - it will be interesting to see his reaction.

Do ya think he'll have that "smirky grin"??? LOL

With the House and Senate gone to the Dems maybe they will put a big clog in the wheel of The New World Order takeover. Stop the NeoCon Rothschild/Rockefeller European/Global Bankers that are sucking the United States of America dry. Stop the North American Union. Stop the North American Trans Super Highway from Panama to Prudomme Bay. In two years we can elect a Republican President, Duncan Hunter, and two years into his presidency we can elect the NEW Republicans to the House and Senate.

THIS WAS A PROTEST ELECTION. STOP BUSH AND HIS CFR!!!
    BUSH=LAMEDUCK!!!

I think youre right about it being a protest vote. The new guys on the block
    had better take notice and clean up their acts too.
    Thats what we need to do.....practice our own term limits....one term and
    youre gone! See how many want to be a public servant under those terms.
    Maybe we can take back control, Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    For all our neocon friends, please note that crow is the featured dish now being served in the scam.com cafeteria. Today's guest of honor will be Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi. Sort of has nice ring to it doesn't it?
    The ball is in a new court....time to **** or get off the pot, put your money
    where your mouth is, etc. This could be a good thing and time will tell.