+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    66

    Dolphin found with legs?

    TOKYO - Japanese researchers said Sunday that a bottlenose dolphin captured last month has an extra set of fins that could be the remains of hind legs, a discovery that may provide further evidence that ocean-dwelling mammals once lived on land.

    Fishermen captured the four-finned dolphin alive off the coast of Wakayama prefecture in western Japan on Oct. 28, and alerted the nearby Taiji Whaling Museum, according to museum director Katsuki Hayashi.

    Fossil remains show dolphins and whales were four-footed land animals about 50 million years ago and share the same common ancestor as hippos and deer. Scientists believe they later transitioned to an aquatic lifestyle and their hind limbs disappeared.



    Whale and dolphin fetuses also show signs of hind protrusions but these generally disappear before birth.

    Though odd-shaped protrusions have been found near the tails of dolphins and whales captured in the past, researchers say this was the first time one had been found with well-developed, symmetrical fins, Hayashi said.


    AP
    This photo, released by the Taiji Whale Museum, highlights the extra set of fins. The tail is being held by a diver whose hand is visible at upper right.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "I believe the fins may be remains from the time when dolphins' ancient ancestors lived on land ... this is an unprecedented discovery," Seiji Osumi, an adviser at Tokyo's Institute of Cetacean Research, said at a news conference televised Sunday.

    The second set of fins much smaller than the dolphin's front fins are about the size of human hands and protrude from near the tail on the dolphin's underside. The dolphin measures 8.92 feet (2.7 meters) and is about five years old, according to the museum.

    Hayashi said he could not tell from watching the dolphin swim in a musuem tank whether it used its back fins to maneuver.

    A freak mutation may have caused the ancient trait to reassert itself, Osumi said. The dolphin will be kept at the Taiji museum to undergo X-ray and DNA tests, according to Hayashi
    L I N K

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,840

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    ARE YOU totoaly nuttts there were never any tyupe of whatle and dophins that lived on land fish are breatcheurs that live oin the water you are tirpping me out you talk with wout any sicientinefi backgorund and the bovmingation is eronaoulsy incoreoet different mamammamals and one for the ocena and one for the land but you are off yourrockeir rockert ofofoffoof yorur rofnitnigig battling moreoand that what you are alwyasi sasuuming you knwo what you are talkjing about burt not not noto notn not tnoot not notn arlightiiiiimas adna, andiiiikm a kjasfjoaiojerm;asmasdkleewjiodsfkldasjaeiowrmkldsf ak rfwio4eaejkmfdssssssssssssssssssskjlewrrwerweriewu oipdsjakldfmadmklsss;;;foiweupewajfd;amfa;s dfkmwioejfmadskl;fmaafkuiewoprjmk;adkluopuifuuads you akdno that andna d oso the the eduated masses do not understand your silly perceptions a fodn aituja;oeoi, ;asdf a;ds you are singing out of tunes you know that atyouoououuouuou areaouarua are

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,840

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    o aoro 'droml tp tjat pme drin to that

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    55

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    people might actually be able to understand what your trying to say if u knew how to type. try again m8. And by the way, the fossil record shows that the ancestors of whales and dolphins DID live on land.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,309

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    the suppression of genes is an interesting subject!?all species including man show different bodily states in the incubation period!?and if this is the determing factor in the final product!?when and why do these suppressions exist!?and how are they subverted!?the chemistry brain function question!?DRUGS!?hehe!!...just askin...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    didn't dolphins originate from a type of wolf?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    189

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    ARE YOU totoaly nuttts there were never any tyupe of whatle and dophins that lived on land fish are breatcheurs that live oin the water
    Hey guess what? Dolphins and whales are not fish, nor do they breath water. Cool!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    mELBOuRNe, vIc
    Posts
    767

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    i have no doubt that dolphins did originate from land before they evolved into sea mammals. The one question that rings in my mind is what forced them off the land to the sea? They are clever animals. Was this the result of some kind of atrocity which wiped out all life on land? Maybe humans evolved from sea mammals? Who knows.
    Dolphins are extreemly intelligent animals. Probably the most intelligent in the seas, there is still so much we do not know about them, but i bet humans are more closely related to dolphins than we may think. that is why dolphins tolerate humans, in the same way elephants do- that is until humans use them and break them.
    I wonder would the date when the dolphins ancestors went to sea coincide with the date when the dinosaurs were wiped out. Will we ever find out? who knows?




    Or could there have been some sort of great flood?
    Last edited by Spamma Scammer; 08-15-2007 at 11:19 AM. Reason: addition

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    I am just freaked that the Japanese caught a dolphin. I have seen horrific videos on YouTube of Japanese fishermen slaughtering dolphins---heartbreaking stuff that will make you cry.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    mELBOuRNe, vIc
    Posts
    767

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    Those japanese would kill and eat just about anything. Watch out for those guys!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    Sorry to bump an old one - but I do believe there is a date some 4800 years ago that coincides with a flood that is being investigated as a comet hit in the Indian Ocean that seems to coincide with tribal/word of mouth history that eventually was adapted by religious history - although I have no idea what the evolution cycle was for dolphins - I would be willing to bet that you could probably do some cross - history investigation that might just put you on the track of geological evidence to prove exactly what you propose

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamma Scammer
    I wonder would the date when the dolphins ancestors went to sea coincide with the date when the dinosaurs were wiped out. Will we ever find out? who knows?
    Or could there have been some sort of great flood?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    838

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    Quote Originally Posted by BellaDonna
    I have seen horrific videos on YouTube of Japanese fishermen slaughtering dolphins---heartbreaking stuff that will make you cry.
    We slaughter all kinds of animals for food. What makes dolphins so special? Are you a vegetarian?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,324

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linkster
    Sorry to bump an old one - but I do believe there is a date some 4800 years ago that coincides with a flood that is being investigated as a comet hit in the Indian Ocean that seems to coincide with tribal/word of mouth history that eventually was adapted by religious history - although I have no idea what the evolution cycle was for dolphins - I would be willing to bet that you could probably do some cross - history investigation that might just put you on the track of geological evidence to prove exactly what you propose
    As far as I know there weren't any comets in the last few thousand years significant enough to force a species to change environment. Even if there was, it couldn't happen over such a short time period. It would take millions upon millions of years of natural selection for a species to move from the land to water and lose their limbs.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    841

    Re: Dolphin found with legs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spamma Scammer
    i have no doubt that dolphins did originate from land before they evolved into sea mammals. The one question that rings in my mind is what forced them off the land to the sea? They are clever animals. Was this the result of some kind of atrocity which wiped out all life on land? Maybe humans evolved from sea mammals? Who knows.
    Dolphins are extreemly intelligent animals. Probably the most intelligent in the seas, there is still so much we do not know about them, but i bet humans are more closely related to dolphins than we may think. that is why dolphins tolerate humans, in the same way elephants do- that is until humans use them and break them.
    I wonder would the date when the dolphins ancestors went to sea coincide with the date when the dinosaurs were wiped out. Will we ever find out? who knows?




    Or could there have been some sort of great flood?
    well evolution takes a bloody long time to happen. it is not an animal sudently sprouting fins or wings(a la pokemon) in order for it to do something. The best explanation would be that food became scare on land(for X reason) and these creatures hunted for fish on water. Over many generations natural selection would have prefered those who were better swimmers(say those born with webbed feet by a mutation). Since these changes accumulate it follows that over a long period of time and many generations things that resemble dolphins more and more would apear.

Similar Threads

  1. Dolphin Property Management Florence Oregon Scam
    By kamans7 in forum Corporate Scams
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2016, 01:46 PM
  2. I found something
    By BABYGIRL121 in forum Work at Home Scams
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 12:01 PM
  3. AEWebworks, Boonex, Dolphin - SCAM?!
    By Kikyn in forum Mail Order Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 07:08 PM
  4. Crystal Dolphin gives birth
    By Fizban "The Fabulous" in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 09:17 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 12:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •