+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WHAT Criteria makes a successful USA President?

Keeping it to a bullet list of no more than 10, exactly what attributes/traits/characteristics do you believe one should hold in order to be a successful president of the USA?
    And is it even a possibility in these times?
    what the heck is this crap?

Re: WHAT Criteria makes a successful USA President?

- ethics - has to have a highly evolved sense of human ethics
    - welfare - must have an evolved idea on how we run the welfare system in this country (such as cutting out the problem of rewarding doing nothing)
    - Long term thinking - instead of doing short term solutions actually make goals and create long term programs to cause lasting change (such as fiscal responsibility by the government, alternative fuel sources, changes in the way pharmecuitical and medical practices are done, focused on preserving the enviroment)
    - Focused on Small government (start instituting programs that cut down the size of the government)
    - Focused on Coroporate reform when it comes to ethics - too much we have seen corporation disregard endagering human life and our planet in the pursuit of money. Stricter laws on corporate fraud and corporate polution, as well as instituting laws that require corporations to reduce their "bio footprint" as much as possible
    - Charismatic and Character based leader - someone who has a strong foundation of success minded philosophy
    - Strong will to do what is right because it is the right thing to do - someone that is not swayed by money and access to power
    - A person that will reform the way lobbying is done and ferret out the kind of coruption that is happening now in regards to congress and corporations funding decisions
    - Has the ideals our forefathers held and is a constitutional idealist. Someone that believes the government created by our founding fathers is possible in this day and age
    - A person that utilizes diplomacy and goes to war as only an absolutely last resort (when our countries well being is threatened to the extent that we will cease to exist as a nation if we do not fight back, or against and unrelenting enemy), but when going to war strikes with maximum force and efficiency to quicly end the conflict and restore balance.

Those are some of the most important beliefs and qualities a president should have.

Well cscirpoli, looks to me like you are the only one on the board willing to share your opinion on exactly what criteria constitutes a successful leader. It never ceases to amaze me at how many and how quickly people are to jump in to an argumentative discussion, but how few will participate in a non-confrontational declaration. I guess civility is just not as engaging as confrontation is to some.

Your list is excellent! I particularly liked your #8-A person that will reform the way lobbying is done and ferret out the kind of corruption that is happening now in regards to congress and corporations funding decisions.

Only thing is; I would imagine that most all citizens believe in these great ideals, but:

-Does anyone actually hold firm to these standards? I do not believe so.
    -Doesn't the very nature of the beast (politics) corrupt the honorable man? I believe so.

When you run with dogs, eat with dogs and sleep with dogs, you act like dogs. Right?

1. Must refuse campaign donations from any corporate entity

There's a start for me, I'm writing more. You just posted this today, wiseroption. Patience, people will post.

Quote Originally Posted by cscirpoli
    - welfare - must have an evolved idea on how we run the welfare system in this country (such as cutting out the problem of rewarding doing nothing)
    - Long term thinking - instead of doing short term solutions actually make goals and create long term programs to cause lasting change (such as fiscal responsibility by the government, alternative fuel sources, changes in the way pharmecuitical and medical practices are done, focused on preserving the enviroment)
    - Focused on Small government (start instituting programs that cut down the size of the government)
    - Focused on Coroporate reform when it comes to ethics - too much we have seen corporation disregard endagering human life and our planet in the pursuit of money. Stricter laws on corporate fraud and corporate polution, as well as instituting laws that require corporations to reduce their "bio footprint" as much as possible
    - Charismatic and Character based leader - someone who has a strong foundation of success minded philosophy
    - Strong will to do what is right because it is the right thing to do - someone that is not swayed by money and access to power
    - A person that will reform the way lobbying is done and ferret out the kind of coruption that is happening now in regards to congress and corporations funding decisions
    - Has the ideals our forefathers held and is a constitutional idealist. Someone that believes the government created by our founding fathers is possible in this day and age
    - A person that utilizes diplomacy and goes to war as only an absolutely last resort (when our countries well being is threatened to the extent that we will cease to exist as a nation if we do not fight back, or against and unrelenting enemy), but when going to war strikes with maximum force and efficiency to quicly end the conflict and restore balance.

Those are some of the most important beliefs and qualities a president should have.

A very nice list Cscirpoli. Unfortunately, such a man, or woman, with these admirable qualities would never make it past a local political race. Special interest (read corporate lobbying) has made it impossible for a true statesman to ever attain the highest office of this country. Maybe one day we will truly reform our bloated government by passing laws with real teeth, but how can you expect an ethically bankrupt individual to vote on a law that effectively removes himself from his seat of power and money?

Very well thought out. I cant add a thing to it. Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    1. Must refuse campaign donations from any corporate entity

There's a start for me, I'm writing more. You just posted this today, wiseroption. Patience, people will post.
    Very sorry, my apologies. I actually posted this on 11-02-06 around 4:30p.m. CST by my clock, yet it says I originally posted today (11-03-06) at 1:06a.m. :confused: Go figure :confused: I have no idea what time table the board is based on.

Thanks for responding and thinking more on the subject. I do want to know how people feel, realistically.

I would have to add votes on what is best for the country and what the country wants versus keeping his party and voters happy.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseroption
    Well cscirpoli, looks to me like you are the only one on the board willing to share your opinion on exactly what criteria constitutes a successful leader. It never ceases to amaze me at how many and how quickly people are to jump in to an argumentative discussion, but how few will participate in a non-confrontational declaration. I guess civility is just not as engaging as confrontation is to some.

Your list is excellent! I particularly liked your #8-A person that will reform the way lobbying is done and ferret out the kind of corruption that is happening now in regards to congress and corporations funding decisions.

Only thing is; I would imagine that most all citizens believe in these great ideals, but:

-Does anyone actually hold firm to these standards? I do not believe so.
    -Doesn't the very nature of the beast (politics) corrupt the honorable man? I believe so.

When you run with dogs, eat with dogs and sleep with dogs, you act like dogs. Right?

I would doubt you could make it all the way to president with those ethics. I believe that alot of people start with good intentions and get hardened over the years. Money talks and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I would have to add votes on what is best for the country and what the country wants versus keeping his party and voters happy.
    And how does he successfully conclude what is best for the country?

I think there's a way to do it, personally, if you have the money. You would not have to be hardened by the political race if you had enough personal money to campaign without breaking yourself, and could win the hearts of the people. We could finally get an independant that would have the ethics and values a true president should have.

That was an excellent list... to be sure. However, there is a major problem with it. Who defines those characteristics? You could get someone in office who lives up to each of those ideals, but as we all know you cannot please everybody, so lo-and-behold... we would end up with an unpopular, tyrannical despot in office who would f--- up a wet dream... at least that is how the individual would be viewed by a very vocal portion of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseroption
    Keeping it to a bullet list of no more than 10, exactly what attributes/traits/characteristics do you believe one should hold in order to be a successful president of the USA?
    And is it even a possibility in these times?
    Well, a president is useless nowadays. It's the people under him or her that make all the decisions and do all the work. All the president ever does is walk up on stage and give speeches.

But I'll give it a try:

• Must be Christian:
      The president must believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and must operate out of loyalty to his Father through Jesus' teachings. This is not to be confused with most religious leaders out there who do little to take of the poor. To find out if one is truly Christian, examine their relationship to the poor, and take measure of their riches. So Bush is not Christian, but pretends to be, as do most politicians.
      They must also understand that God has the last say, and must honour Him for his blessing. They must be honest in their understanding of Him, not merely going along with the church crowd, but truly understanding and harnassing the power of the relationship.
    • Must be willing to overthrow all genocidal dictators:
      Even if China does it, which is an atomic power, do not allow it. Do whatever is in your power to stand against such people. Monsters must be brought down. Take Saddam Hussein. Liberals keep whining about WMDs, that we invaded under false pretenses. Frankly, I wish we invaded in 1980s when Saddam committed genocide. We should executed him in a gruesome way, and promised the entire world that if anyone tries genocide again, this will happen to them immediately.
    • Must enforce fair trade economics:
      No more sweatshops. If a company is making billions in profit but pays its workers less than a dollar an hour, trade sanctions must be put on it. For example, Nike would not be legally allowed to do business in the U.S. until they pay a liveable wage. Or if a company is making billions taking oil, gold, diamonds, and other precious gems from Africa, at least 10% must go back to Africans.
    • Must legally punish those who go to third world child brothels.
      If you are a citizen of this country, and you take a trip to Cambodia to pay some little boy a dollar for sex, when you come back, a jail sentence is waitng for you, and you'll be fined at least a thousand, and the money goes to the little boy who's struggling to stay alive. If an American is caught in a third world brothel, the proof must be passed back to the American government.
    • Must close the border
      I have nothing against letting poor Mexicans come, but I believe the government should have control as to how many. This control will ensure the long term strength of a country, will ensure better management of tax dollars.
    • Must have served in the military
      You don't get to send any soldiers to war unless you've been to one yourself. This is not a must if say, the people who actually call the shots are not the president. If you're the president and you haven't served, you don't have the authority to go to war. You shouldn't be considered "commander-in-chief".
    • Must not have been unfaithful in marriage
      The moral integrity of the president must be so great that he must not break his marital vows. If he cannot demonstrate faithfulness to his wife, who is one American, then he cannot be trusted with faithfulness to many other Americans.
    • Must be an American
      (no brainer)

There is not one politician who currently meets the very first point in the criteria, but anything is possible. One could rise up among them, or one from outside of them. But such a person is incredibly rare. I am not such a person. I've only met one man who truly walked the walk. The rest of us merely try, and are sorely depending on Christ's forgiveness.
    Last edited by Ronald; 11-04-2006 at 06:38 AM.

But define "evolved sense" and "human ethics". There are many humans with many different ethical systems.

Focused on Coroporate reform when it comes to ethics - too much we have seen corporation disregard endagering human life and our planet in the pursuit of money. Stricter laws on corporate fraud and corporate polution, as well as instituting laws that require corporations to reduce their "bio footprint" as much as possible
    But then, to be fair, wouldn't you also have to impose such laws on individuals, such as not allowed to drive so much because that pollutes the air, not allowed buy a certain number of products because the packaging produces waste, not allowed to air condition your house to a certain temperature?

Charismatic and Character based leader - someone who has a strong foundation of success minded philosophy
    You'd have to define success. Gandhi and Hitler have very different definitions. And would you even want Gandhi's version of success, as opposed to Donald Trump's?

Has the ideals our forefathers held and is a constitutional idealist. Someone that believes the government created by our founding fathers is possible in this day and age
    Good call.

A person that utilizes diplomacy and goes to war as only an absolutely last resort (when our countries well being is threatened to the extent that we will cease to exist as a nation if we do not fight back, or against and unrelenting enemy), but when going to war strikes with maximum force and efficiency to quicly end the conflict and restore balance.
    I disagree. I think we need a president who's willing to go to war more often if it will bring justice to the world. Like the Rwanda incident. Or when you have dictatorships that are small in the beginning. Take Hitler out in the early thirties is much nicer than waiting until 1939 or 1941 to start. Think about it. You wind up losing much more lives doing it your way. I think you'll agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    There is not one politician who currently meets the very first point in the criteria, but anything is possible. One could rise up among them, or one from outside of them. But such a person is incredibly rare. I am not such a person. I've only met one man who truly walked the walk. The rest of us merely try, and are sorely depending on Christ's forgiveness.
    I feel that this man is worth mentioning. His name is Jim Cantelon, and he's the president of a charity named VisionLedd. He's the most honest man I have ever met, unlike every other Christian, a real champion. You would be lucky to ever meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    Well, a president is useless nowadays. It's the people under him or her that make all the decisions and do all the work. All the president ever does is walk up on stage and give speeches.

But I'll give it a try:

• Must be Christian:
      The president must believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and must operate out of loyalty to his Father through Jesus' teachings. This is not to be confused with most religious leaders out there who do little to take of the poor. To find out if one is truly Christian, examine their relationship to the poor, and take measure of their riches. So Bush is not Christian, but pretends to be, as do most politicians.
      They must also understand that God has the last say, and must honour Him for his blessing. They must be honest in their understanding of Him, not merely going along with the church crowd, but truly understanding and harnassing the power of the relationship.
    • Must be willing to overthrow all genocidal dictators:
      Even if China does it, which is an atomic power, do not allow it. Do whatever is in your power to stand against such people. Monsters must be brought down. Take Saddam Hussein. Liberals keep whining about WMDs, that we invaded under false pretenses. Frankly, I wish we invaded in 1980s when Saddam committed genocide. We should executed him in a gruesome way, and promised the entire world that if anyone tries genocide again, this will happen to them immediately.
    • Must enforce fair trade economics:
      No more sweatshops. If a company is making billions in profit but pays its workers less than a dollar an hour, trade sanctions must be put on it. For example, Nike would not be legally allowed to do business in the U.S. until they pay a liveable wage. Or if a company is making billions taking oil, gold, diamonds, and other precious gems from Africa, at least 10% must go back to Africans.
    • Must legally punish those who go to third world child brothels.
      If you are a citizen of this country, and you take a trip to Cambodia to pay some little boy a dollar for sex, when you come back, a jail sentence is waitng for you, and you'll be fined at least a thousand, and the money goes to the little boy who's struggling to stay alive. If an American is caught in a third world brothel, the proof must be passed back to the American government.
    • Must close the border
      I have nothing against letting poor Mexicans come, but I believe the government should have control as to how many. This control will ensure the long term strength of a country, will ensure better management of tax dollars.
    • Must have served in the military
      You don't get to send any soldiers to war unless you've been to one yourself. This is not a must if say, the people who actually call the shots are not the president. If you're the president and you haven't served, you don't have the authority to go to war. You shouldn't be considered "commander-in-chief".
    • Must not have been unfaithful in marriage
      The moral integrity of the president must be so great that he must not break his marital vows. If he cannot demonstrate faithfulness to his wife, who is one American, then he cannot be trusted with faithfulness to many other Americans.
    • Must be an American
      (no brainer)

tough call with them having to be Christian, i understand your faith, but what about the representation of all the faiths in this country?

As for going to war more, war is expensive and all it does is drain our resources. Evil empires have a way of collapsing themselves. We cannot morally be the worlds police force. It is not up to us to decide what is right and wrong in the world, only what is right and wrong for us, as well we cannot impose our will upon other people, in the manner that we are. That would make us imperialists.

If we went to war only when we had to, but when we did we used maximum force to protect ourselves. And i mean maximum force, you go in, you completely level the enemy you make them afraid to not negotiate with you. Do that enough times, people will never want to go to war with you.