+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NERD FIGHT! Global Warming Debate Gets Nasty

Tempest erupts over hurricanes
    Global warming debate at conference spawns name calling
    By Jim Erickson, Rocky Mountain News
    October 26, 2006

BOULDER - The planet may be warming, but what started out as a polite discussion about hurricane trends turned plain hot here Wednesday.
    At issue was the role - if any - that global warming plays in fueling monster storms.

But illustrating the volatile nature of the debate, the scientific conference descended into name calling.

Colorado State University's William Gray, one of the nation's preeminent hurricane forecasters, called noted Boulder climate researcher Kevin Trenberth an opportunist and a Svengali who "sold his soul to the devil to get (global warming) research funding."

Trenberth countered that Gray is not a credible scientist.

"Not any more. He was at one time, but he's not any more," Trenberth said of Gray, one of a handful of prominent U.S. scientists who question whether humans play a significant role in warming the planet by burning fossil fuels that release heat-trapping gases.

"He's one of the contrarians, some of whom get money to spread lies about global warming," Trenberth said during a break following his presentation at the 31st annual Climate Diagnostics & Prediction Workshop. About 150 scientists from more than 10 countries are attending the weeklong meeting.

Trenberth and Gray traded barbs during Trenberth's presentation to the group. But the harshest comments were made during interviews with a reporter afterward.

Even before last year's record-smashing Atlantic hurricane season ended, scientists began debating global warming's role.

Trenberth noted Wednesday that the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season spawned the greatest number of named tropical storms and the most hurricanes on record. It was the only year with three Category 5 hurricanes (winds of 156 mph and higher) and produced the most costly storm on record, Katrina, with damage estimates as high as $200 billion.

The tropical oceans, which provide the fuel for hurricanes, have warmed 0.9 degrees Fahrenheit since 1970.

Trenberth and his colleagues say there's little doubt the warming is due in part to the buildup of heat-trapping greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide.

At the same time, there's been a surge over the past 35 years in the number and proportion of intense hurricanes, Trenberth said. It's highly likely that greenhouse gases are partly to blame and that the trend will continue, he said.

"The prospects are for more intense storms, heavier rainfall and flooding, and more coastal damage," Trenberth told the group.

He said that global warming boosted the amount of rainfall in several of the most powerful 2005 hurricanes - including Katrina and Rita - by 7 percent.

But Gray said there's no evidence that hurricanes are intensifying and that "everything he (Trenberth) has shown can be refuted."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...094006,00.html

Re: NERD FIGHT! Global Warming Debate Gets Nasty

follow the money!?hehe!!.....just askin....

global warming what are you trying to convey to us, well it is cold when it is cold in the winter seasons, it is warm when it is warm in the summer seasons global warming is no big deal, what you have to worry about is genetically modified foods and i bet you are eating gmo foods with out even knowing it, that you have to be worried about, your health and how the government is allowing gmo foods to be in your eating chain, poison foods, frankenstein foods. do you eat corn? oh you say you do? any of the derivatives from corn is contaminated, corn in itself is toxic corn.. and you are eating it like it s water. what you have there corn on the cob, corn tortillas, corn syrup, corn little mini corns, corn flakes. corn meal. you are all being the guinea pigs of the world, with all the chemicals that they have to spray these crops with no wonder the cancer rate is moving up ... i call these foods genocide foods, get rid of the masses, that is what they want get rid of you useless feeders...they say peas are gentically modified and potatoes, soybeans and who knows what else so global warming is not a threat but your food supply is being threatened, with out foods you can not survive and your water is poison already wit fluoride they are out to kill us all unless you eat foods that are not contaminated. GLOBAL WARNING is a SCARE TACTIC.... but your foods are being attacked by monsato and what it that your milk suppy all that is made from that milk prooducts are poisoned by growth hormones GMO preach GMO is killing our food supplies!!!!!!!!

Re: NERD FIGHT! Global Warming Free-Solar-System.com

Interesting,

I have been hearing this for decades, and finally it is becoming more evident it is for real. We know there are climatic cycles, but you can no longer discount the fact that artic ice is melting at alarming rates, so are we to discount it as a cycle, no, I don't think so, for the ice breaking off in systematic manner is hard to discount in my opinion. Heck, even anti environment Bush admin has now decided to issue an endangered species alert on polar bears as 25% of ice melt has threatened living habitat in Alaska. Not looking like a simple climatic cycle at this point, but time will tell, as it already has.

Happy New Year to all, Mike
    FREE-SOLAR-SYSTEM.COM

These scientists get alot of funding for global warming, just like the hole in the ozone layer, bird flu and other things, people fund what fears them. No or little funding goes into research proving otherwise
    its getting cold down here

Quote Originally Posted by mark777
    These scientists get alot of funding for global warming, just like the hole in the ozone layer, bird flu and other things, people fund what fears them. No or little funding goes into research proving otherwise
    source....?

Quote Originally Posted by mark777
    Which scientists get what funding and from whom. If you know, how about letting the rest of us in on it.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Wow. Someone resurrected a thread I put up over six months ago.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    global warming what are you trying to convey to us, well it is cold when it is cold in the winter seasons, it is warm when it is warm in the summer seasons global warming is no big deal, what you have to worry about is genetically modified foods and i bet you are eating gmo foods with out even knowing it, that you have to be worried about, your health and how the government is allowing gmo foods to be in your eating chain, poison foods, frankenstein foods. do you eat corn? oh you say you do? any of the derivatives from corn is contaminated, corn in itself is toxic corn.. and you are eating it like it s water. what you have there corn on the cob, corn tortillas, corn syrup, corn little mini corns, corn flakes. corn meal. you are all being the guinea pigs of the world, with all the chemicals that they have to spray these crops with no wonder the cancer rate is moving up ... i call these foods genocide foods, get rid of the masses, that is what they want get rid of you useless feeders...they say peas are gentically modified and potatoes, soybeans and who knows what else so global warming is not a threat but your food supply is being threatened, with out foods you can not survive and your water is poison already wit fluoride they are out to kill us all unless you eat foods that are not contaminated. GLOBAL WARNING is a SCARE TACTIC.... but your foods are being attacked by monsato and what it that your milk suppy all that is made from that milk prooducts are poisoned by growth hormones GMO preach GMO is killing our food supplies!!!!!!!!
    Way to stay on subject

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    what you have to worry about is genetically modified foods and i bet you are eating gmo foods with out even knowing it, !
    genetically modified foods what are you trying to convey to us? What you have to worry about is an asteroid apearing out from behind of the sun at the last minute headed to earth. Nevermind I guess this subject is already getting old.

I just have one thing to say they are going to do nothing about this regardless of the need for two reasons. One the economic impact on the United States to do what has to be done is so extreme that its completely out of the question face it there is no way to generate the energy we USE and project to NEED- using Green Technologies. Yet in any case. The other is there is no consensus as to the full impact of Global Warming Gore uses as far as I can tell the most extreme position scientist have as for effect, it could be much less over the next century.

Seems to me regardless we are not going to see any changes that matter in the United States and China the two largest polluting nations. As for glacial melting and the effect of warming on species they must adapt or perish, that is the way of things when humans are the dominant species and the others are not. But the world won't end just change and its the way of things.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyslippers
    I just have one thing to say they are going to do nothing about this regardless of the need for two reasons. One the economic impact on the United States to do what has to be done is so extreme that its completely out of the question face it there is no way to generate the energy we USE and project to NEED- using Green Technologies. Yet in any case. The other is there is no consensus as to the full impact of Global Warming Gore uses as far as I can tell the most extreme position scientist have as for effect, it could be much less over the next century.

Seems to me regardless we are not going to see any changes that matter in the United States and China the two largest polluting nations. As for glacial melting and the effect of warming on species they must adapt or perish, that is the way of things when humans are the dominant species and the others are not. But the world won't end just change and its the way of things.
    My my. I just don't know what to say to this. Gramatically, I know how to say it, but I don't know what to say.

I just pointed out the obvious. The United States and China both are very high energy use nations both with electical power generation and use of gasoline, that is going to be going up not down. The cheapest way to generate electricity is coal power plants a fuel we have a great deal of in the United States, and its generally a dirty technology. China relies on this more than we do, by far. Gasoline use is also going up. Lets say our need goes up a modest 2% per year in energy use that is still sizable. And not one Green Technology can even get close to meeting that need. To meet what the environmentalist demand we would have to half our energy use that is NOT going to happen and step continued growth in need which is likely higher than what I stated Our economy in the United States would not survive that and you all know that. And unless the Chinese and United States are willing to go along you aren't going to be able to do much about the issue, again that is a fact. And neither country will risk our economic growth and sustaining of our way of life.

As for the impact of global warming there is none. Gore sets a very high threat value in the impact of global warming and other scientists have more modest effects. I've read many different ones.

And humans are the dominant species if the world is changing due to OUR existing then again other speices must learn to live with that or die out.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

I just pointed out the obvious. The United States and China both are very high energy use nations both with electical power generation and use of gasoline, that is going to be going up not down. The cheapest way to generate electricity is coal power plants a fuel we have a great deal of in the United States, and its generally a dirty technology. China relies on this more than we do, by far. Gasoline use is also going up. Lets say our need goes up a modest 2% per year in energy use that is still sizable. And not one Green Technology can even get close to meeting that need. To meet what the environmentalist demand we would have to half our energy use that is NOT going to happen and step continued growth in need which is likely higher than what I stated Our economy in the United States would not survive that and you all know that. And unless the Chinese and United States are willing to go along you aren't going to be able to do much about the issue, again that is a fact. And neither country will risk our economic growth and sustaining of our way of life.

As for the impact of global warming there is none. Gore sets a very high threat value in the impact of global warming and other scientists have more modest effects. I've read many different ones.

And humans are the dominant species if the world is changing due to OUR existing then again other speices must learn to live with that or die out.
    Aye, but China is about to be a whole lot more green in it's energy production:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/chi.../three.gorges/

Three gorges dam. Expected to be completed in less than two years will generate 1/9th of all the energy used throughout China.

That leaves USA holding the bag for being the world's biggest polluters. No big supprise there.

Yes to the shame of relocationg massive numbers of the poorest Chinese, loss of arable land, destruction of historical sites and loss of green space which will be under water. And they still have to power the other 9/10ths of Chinas need. Again there is not ONE green technology that will be able to do that and meet future energy needs. And there is NO substitute for oil and car use is increasing in China more than even in the United States.

I wish people would stop looking at one example here or there as to the greatness of green technology. The only reason its funded at all in the United States and many other countries is the GOVERNMENT funding. Its not viable and won't be for decades if ever. Remember regardless our society in the US and also China are huge energy output ones and its growing at a fair rate. We will never get any sort of reforms it would KILL the economies of both nations.

So regardless the point is mute of the causation of humans on the environment, even if there is one and severe we are not going to change.

Yes to the shame of relocationg massive numbers of the poorest Chinese, loss of arable land, destruction of historical sites and loss of green space which will be under water. And they still have to power the other 9/10ths of Chinas need. Again there is not ONE green technology that will be able to do that and meet future energy needs. And there is NO substitute for oil and car use is increasing in China more than even in the United States.

I wish people would stop looking at one example here or there as to the greatness of green technology. The only reason its funded at all in the United States and many other countries is the GOVERNMENT funding. Its not viable and won't be for decades if ever. Remember regardless our society in the US and also China are huge energy output ones and its growing at a fair rate. We will never get any sort of reforms it would KILL the economies of both nations.

So regardless the point is mute of the causation of humans on the environment, even if there is one and severe we are not going to change.
    The point is hardly moot. Regardless of whether or not you want to change, we have passed peak oil, and energy demand is still increasing exponentially. We simply can not remain as dependant on oil as we are, whether we want to or not, regardless of the environmental issues.