+ Reply to Thread

Q: Anyone know the laws reguarding the transparency of a Not for Profit compnay?

I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me about the laws reguarding the transparency of a not for profit organization.

Is there a specific law that states if someone requests to look at thier budget sheets, and see where any and all money coming into the organization goes - that they must hand over that information?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Q: Anyone know the laws reguarding the transparency of a Not for Profit compnay?

Quote Originally Posted by rjhantson
    I'm curious to know if anyone can tell me about the laws reguarding the transparency of a not for profit organization.

Is there a specific law that states if someone requests to look at thier budget sheets, and see where any and all money coming into the organization goes - that they must hand over that information?

Thanks for your help!
    Are you starting up a non-profit or are you simply looking for information on one?

At a federal level there is 501-3C. All that does is get you federal recognition as a non-profit. It is no guarantee the company is honest.

At the state level laws will vary. Contact your state revenue department for specific details.

Usually all that is required is a copy of the organization's by-laws and annual P&L statements be available.

Re: Q: Anyone know the laws reguarding the transparency of a Not for Profit compnay?

What company would you be asking about? I might be able to get the information for you...I do research for stuff like that for the company I work for...If you want more information you can email me at Sundancer_32824@yahoo.com In the subject line type Scam.com otherwise I may not read it...

Heidi

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Thanks for your help!
    You might find your answer here: http://nonprofitissues.com/google3.h...FQJdSgodT0qstQ

Lady Mod

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Thanks for your help!
    I would imagine that anyone doing so can expect and will be audited by repersentatives of the federal government. Namely, the Internal Revenue
    Service, known informally as 'The Tax Man'. :rolleyes:
    As well, you will be required to get a business license and your charter
    statement will be closely examined and questions asked to insure that you
    will be granted a license to operate as a TRUE non-profit organization.
    It is not reccomended that anyone should 'play games' with such a business
    approach, attempting to use it as a motive, to conceal doing business for
    profit. Could get someone 5 - 20 years in the Leavenworth Penitentiary.