+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Stem Cell Research

Stem cell research Good or Bad???

Re: Stem Cell Research

Quote Originally Posted by Indie
    Stem cell research Good or Bad???
    I'd vote for good, at least in theory. The question is asked though, what atrocities are being committed in the name of science, and are they acceptable?
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

SubSailor,Im with you thats why I started this thread.I just dont know.I have family members that could benefit from this and who knows I myself someday may even benefit from this research.But what about coruption and misuse?I dont want to get all excited because Im only seeing the good.I dont want to ignore the negative aspects.

That's like saying nuclear energy is bad, because someone can build a bomb with it too. I'm sure that you could create a quite nasty biological weapon through stem cell research. But in the end, the benefits of the good outwiegh the bad in my mind of what we could accomplish. Regrowing organs and limbs for people would be a pretty incredible thing. Imagine people that have been paralyzed, being able to have a spine replaced and walk again. It's absolutely limitless in possibility.

Let's not get confused here. I don't think you will find many people that are against Stem cell research, but you will find many who are opposed to embryonic stem cell research.

In fact, there was a new story that just came out about the results of using embryonic stem cells for the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

Stem cells might cause brain tumors, study finds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Injecting human embryonic stem cells into the brains of Parkinson's disease patients may cause tumors to form, U.S. researchers reported on Sunday.

Steven Goldman and colleagues at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York said human stem cells injected into rat brains turned into cells that looked like early tumors.

Writing in the journal Nature Medicine, the researchers said the transplants clearly helped the rats, but some of the cells started growing in a way that could eventually lead to a tumor.

SNIP

Goldman's team apparently succeeded and transplanted them into the rats with an equivalent of Parkinson's damage. The animals did get better. But the grafted cells started to show areas that no longer consisted of dopamine-releasing neurons, but of dividing cells that had the potential to give rise to tumors.

The researchers killed the animals before they could know for sure, and said any experiments in humans would have to be done very cautiously.

Scientists have long feared that human embryonic stem cells could turn into tumors, because of their pliability.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...1-ArticlePage1

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    Let's not get confused here. I don't think you will find many people that are against Stem cell research, but you will find many who are opposed to embryonic stem cell research.

In fact, there was a new story that just came out about the results of using embryonic stem cells for the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

Stem cells might cause brain tumors, study finds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Injecting human embryonic stem cells into the brains of Parkinson's disease patients may cause tumors to form, U.S. researchers reported on Sunday.

Steven Goldman and colleagues at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York said human stem cells injected into rat brains turned into cells that looked like early tumors.

Writing in the journal Nature Medicine, the researchers said the transplants clearly helped the rats, but some of the cells started growing in a way that could eventually lead to a tumor.

SNIP

Goldman's team apparently succeeded and transplanted them into the rats with an equivalent of Parkinson's damage. The animals did get better. But the grafted cells started to show areas that no longer consisted of dopamine-releasing neurons, but of dividing cells that had the potential to give rise to tumors.

The researchers killed the animals before they could know for sure, and said any experiments in humans would have to be done very cautiously.

Scientists have long feared that human embryonic stem cells could turn into tumors, because of their pliability.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...1-ArticlePage1

I'm curious to know the difference in embroyonic stem cells and regular stem cells.

Stem cells are good, VERY good. In them lies the abilities to cure otherwise uncurable diseases and disorders. Infact, the only thing stem cells CAN'T handle is AIDS and cancer. In order for stem cell research to make some real headway before we die of age we need to find a way to produce them more efficiently. Petrie dish harvesting would have been a step in the right direction, but everyone here knows what some people think of that.
    If you are asking wether or not stem cell HARVESTING is good or bad, im going to have to say good. The blob of cells people call a human life isnt a human life.... its a blob of cells. It can't think, it doesnt feel pain, it has no feelings. It is about as much of a human life as an amoeba is.

One thing that isn't talked about with this issue is the fact that they have had a lot more success with adult stem cells than with embryonic stem cells. They have had far more problems with the embryonic variety, such as that that was posted in the article by Grimm.

Unfortunately, those who are against stem-cell research, are characterized as heartless people that don't care about curing people suffering from diseases that these cells are purportedly able to cure. As of yet, there is no proof that these cells can actually cure such diseases, at least empirical proof from the medical community (as opposed to the "proof" from liberal politicians).

The main reason that people are against this however is the fear of human cloning. It's definitely a slippery slope and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. If they had absolute, empirical evidence that it could cure such things as paralysis and Parkinson's Disease among other things, and with adequate safeguards against misuse of the technology, then maybe. But, preferably with adult stem-cells.
    I'd rather be an Elephant than a Jackass

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

I'm for ALL stem-cell research and utilization.
    THe embryonic cells are available and may as well be used as a resource
    rather than run through the incinerators with all of the other "biological"
    materials as "dross" from hospitals.
    M. Fox wants stem-cells because he has Parkinson's. Also, probably
    because Fox is a Democrat.
    R, Limbaugh doesn't want as he is the M.M. type i gives me the 'willies" as
    I am not sure what diabolical things they do in "the closet". Usually when
    their crimes or perversions surface to the public they are often quite
    diabolical.
    I keep waiting for Limbaugh's and "Dr. Phil's" Pandora's box to be
    opened - - - then, RUN FOR COVER! Anyone that rants and raves and
    foam at the mouth like Limbaugh is bound to be running from some
    Devil!
    Anyone here or otherwise: wait until you contract a terminal disease
    and find out that stem cells will cure it, embryonic or otherwise. You will
    suddenly find yourself and instant convert to support the research.
    We needs cures for human allfications and disabilities. As long as there
    are checks and balances to assure there is no intentional killing
    or destroying fetuses, then let the reasearch go on.
    And for those that want to argue regarding the last statement, that
    should be covered in a seperate thread.
    However, if you do, I would like to see accurate and truthful proof and
    references regarding same. Not just your word or opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I'm curious to know the difference in embroyonic stem cells and regular stem cells.
    Embryonic stem cells are obtained by killing a human embryo, an unborn child. Regular or adult stem cells are obtained from living adults.

Stem cell research is very beneficial to medicine, to us.
    Last edited by rustupid; 10-26-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalobillgates
    One thing that isn't talked about with this issue is the fact that they have had a lot more success with adult stem cells than with embryonic stem cells. They have had far more problems with the embryonic variety, such as that that was posted in the article by Grimm.

Unfortunately, those who are against stem-cell research, are characterized as heartless people that don't care about curing people suffering from diseases that these cells are purportedly able to cure. As of yet, there is no proof that these cells can actually cure such diseases, at least empirical proof from the medical community (as opposed to the "proof" from liberal politicians).

The main reason that people are against this however is the fear of human cloning. It's definitely a slippery slope and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. If they had absolute, empirical evidence that it could cure such things as paralysis and Parkinson's Disease among other things, and with adequate safeguards against misuse of the technology, then maybe. But, preferably with adult stem-cells.
    buffalobillgates, in your statement "Unfortunately, those who are against stem-cell research, are characterized as heartless people that don't care about curing people suffering from diseases that these cells are purportedly able to cure." is THE PROBLEM. I don't know of anyone anywhere that is against stem cell research. There are not even any laws against doing embryonic stem cell research. None, zero. The law prevents the federal government from spending money on only embryonic stem cell research using new cells obtained by killing any additional embryo's.

That anyone is against "stem cell research" is a lie being perpetrated by people like Michael J. Fox that do not tell the whole truth.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Quote Originally Posted by rustupid
    Embryonic stem cells are obtained by killing a human embryo, an unborn child. Regular or adult stem cells are obtained from living adults.

Stem cell research is very beneficial to medicine, to us.
    many embryonic stem cells become available and are incinerated EVERY
    DAY, or so it is suggestd. I think many are being kept and secret research
    is being conducted, which one day may save your life, repair your
    parapallegia, or quadrapallegia, or your husband, father, mother, sister,
    brother, children. people understand and like it better when it is stated on
    a selfish basis. Not concerned about the health and plight fs others!
    Anyhow, killing embryos? Hey, it happens every day, naturally AS WELL
    AS through 'forced' abortions. This isn't going to stop, regardless of what
    anyone wants.
    So, since it happens, why not make benefical use of this "biological
    material" rather than destroying in the incinerator? Doing so is not going
    increasse the incidence of abortions, either natural or artifical. Incineration
    is NOT going to decrease the incidence...
    Last edited by coontie; 10-26-2006 at 01:39 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by cscirpoli
    That's like saying nuclear energy is bad, because someone can build a bomb with it too. I'm sure that you could create a quite nasty biological weapon through stem cell research. But in the end, the benefits of the good outwiegh the bad in my mind of what we could accomplish. Regrowing organs and limbs for people would be a pretty incredible thing. Imagine people that have been paralyzed, being able to have a spine replaced and walk again. It's absolutely limitless in possibility.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly Cscirpoli. I said it was good, so did Indie. But like everything else humans touch, we'll probably end up screwing this up to. We just have to be careful man.

BTW, there are plenty of people who say nuclear energy is bad. There's a group that used to protest nuclear power all the time in front of the gate at the base I'm stationed at (they haven't since 911, due to security reasons I think). Their called "Ground Zero" I believe. I think they have good intentions, but they just can't seem to realize that we're doing good things with nuclear power, and we have policies, programs, etc in place to prevent accidents/incidents.
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    many embryonic stem cells become available and are incinerated EVERY DAY, or so it is suggested.
    This is true coontie. They are a product of abortions.

I think that even if the US bans it, there is such potential that it will be carried out elsewhere, just like human cloning. I don't keep up with microbiology all that much, but I think it was in China(?) they built a massive biomedical research facility about 10 years back. The rest of the world is catching up.

If the US doesn't do it, someone else will. When you look at the amount of money that is available in pharmaceuticals, how could they not?

Quote Originally Posted by rustupid
    This is true coontie. They are a product of abortions.
    Abortions are still legal in this country so what is the problem with using the cells from an already dead embroyo/fetus. I look at it like this, at least the child/baby/fetus/embroyo/cells (whatever you prefer to call it) didn't die in vain and that their life ended up having purpose and possibly giving life to others even if the mother didn't want it. If it's there, I say use it as long as we don't start cloning people.

Where do you get adult stem cells from? Can't you get stem cells from the placenta and cord blood? I didn't have the money to bank my child's cord blood and I doubt they threw it away. They probably stash them and are using them for research anyway.