+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox political ad

Conservative talk show host accuses actor of faking Parkinson's disease
    By David Montgomery
    The Washington Post

Updated: 2:05 a.m. ET Oct 25, 2006
    Possibly worse than making fun of someone's disability is saying that it's imaginary. That is not to mock someone's body, but to challenge a person's guts, integrity, sanity.

To Rush Limbaugh on Monday, Michael J. Fox looked like a faker. The actor, who suffers from Parkinson's disease, has done a series of political ads supporting candidates who favor stem cell research, including Maryland Democrat Ben Cardin, who is running against Republican Michael Steele for the Senate seat being vacated by Paul Sarbanes.

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease," Limbaugh told listeners. "He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. . . . This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting."

Limbaugh, whose syndicated radio program has a weekly audience of about 10 million, was reacting to Fox's appearance in another one of the spots, for Missouri Democrat Claire McCaskill, running against Republican Sen. James M. Talent.

But the Cardin ad is similar. It is hard to watch, unless, for some reason, you don't believe it. As he speaks, Fox's restless torso weaves and writhes in a private dance. His head bobs from side to side, almost leaving the video frame.

"This is the only time I've ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has," Limbaugh said. "He can barely control himself."

'A shameless statement'
    Later Monday, still on the air, Limbaugh would apologize, but reaction to his statements from Parkinson's experts and Fox's supporters was swift and angry.

"It's a shameless statement," John Rogers said yesterday. Rogers, Fox's political adviser, who also serves on the board of the Parkinson's Action Network, added: "It's insulting. It's appallingly sad, at best."

"Anyone who knows the disease well would regard his movement as classic severe Parkinson's disease," said Elaine Richman, a neuroscientist in Baltimore who co-wrote "Parkinson's Disease and the Family." "Any other interpretation is misinformed."

Fox was campaigning yesterday for Tammy Duckworth, a congressional candidate, outside Chicago, when he alluded to Limbaugh's remarks. "It's ironic, given some of the things that have been said in the last couple of days, that my pills are working really well right now," he said, according to a report on the CBS2 Web site.

After his apology, Limbaugh shifted his ground and renewed his attack on Fox.

"Now people are telling me they have seen Michael J. Fox in interviews and he does appear the same way in the interviews as he does in this commercial," Limbaugh said, according to a transcript on his Web site. "All right then, I stand corrected. . . . So I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox, if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act."

Then Limbaugh pivoted to a different critique: "Michael J. Fox is allowing his illness to be exploited and in the process is shilling for a Democratic politician."

'Hope to millions of Americans'
    Limbaugh's shock at Fox's appearance is a measure of the disease's devastation, advocates say. Contrary to the charge that Fox might not take his medicine to enhance his symptoms, the medicine produces some of the uncontrolled body movements.

"Stem cell research offers hope to millions of Americans with diseases like diabetes, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's," Fox says in the Cardin ad. "But George Bush and Michael Steele would put limits on the most promising stem cell research."

Fox has appeared in ABC's "Boston Legal" this season. In his scenes, taped over the summer, Fox does not shake or loll his head as he does in the Cardin commercial, but does appear to be restraining himself, appearing almost rigid at times.

A source with direct knowledge of Fox's illness who viewed the Cardin ad said Fox is not acting to exaggerate the effects of the disease. The source said Fox's scenes in "Boston Legal" had to be taped around his illness, as he worked to control the tremors associated with Parkinson's for limited periods of time.

Staff writer Frank Ahrens contributed to this report.

2006 The Washington Post Company
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15408508/

See for yourself: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14pGY1P97L8

What do YOU think?

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

Re: See for yourself: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

Quote Originally Posted by StormyRay

What do YOU think?

I think that fat assed bloated drug addicted draft dodging sack of sh!t should be beaten to a bloody pulp.
    Maybe then he won't have to employ any more infantile pantomimes to flop and twitch around in his chair.
    Last edited by dchristie; 10-25-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Re: Limbaugh mocks Michael J. Fox

this guy is a a$$hole in the first degree. then again, im not shocked or suprised, RL has been doing this for years. Even people that share the same political beliefs think this dousche bag is an a

Quote Originally Posted by StormyRay

What do YOU think?
    I think Limbaugh is a typical Republican. We all know they have no concept of REALITY. Having to see, straight up, what Parkinson's Disease has done to Michael makes them very uneasy. So the natural response is to deny that it's happening, and do whatever they can to discredit the one who is forcing them into that UNCOMFORTABLE CORNER KNOW TO THE REST OF US AS THE REAL WORLD... :rolleyes:

As for Limbaugh? I pray that Parkinson's gets him........ :D

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim
    I think Limbaugh is a typical Republican. We all know they have no concept of REALITY. Having to see, straight up, what Parkinson's Disease has done to Michael makes them very uneasy. So the natural response is to deny that it's happening, and do whatever they can to discredit the one who is forcing them into that UNCOMFORTABLE CORNER KNOW TO THE REST OF US AS THE REAL WORLD... :rolleyes:

Parkinsons is too easy for this vile gas bag. It's not just reality these Monkeys have no connection to. It's any semblance of decency and humanity as well. The real problem is those who have sponsored this twisted, drug addicted hypocrite all these years. There should be a national boycott of any company that advertises on stations carrying this bloated sorry excuse for a human being. They are just as culpable.
    Last edited by dchristie; 10-25-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Rush is an ignorant hypocrite. Where are all the right wingers on this board?Isnt this one of their own?Havent they any loyalty?But truely there is nothing to defend here so I dont blame them for not commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    I think that fat assed bloated drug addicted draft dodging sack of sh!t should be beaten to a bloody pulp.
    Maybe then he won't have to employ any more infantile pantomimes to flop and twitch around in his chair.

HAHA! Couldn't agree with you more. Limbaugh is a fat ass hypocritical prick! And most of all annoying as hell! He needs to be committed

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. Fox admitted to not taking his medicine for a couple of weeks before he spoke at some conference about stem cell research but I say who cares? If he doesn't take his medicine he is in bad shape and some people can't afford all the medicine so they are constinently in bad shape.

Some people were saying that these ads went too far. I don't see how. If people believe that they can find cures for these diseases using stem cell research than what is wrong with stating that in an ad and showing a picture of a sufferer. They were saying that next there would be an anti-abortion candidate with an aborted fetus on television. I say there is a big difference.

I have a child with cancer and a sister with type1 diabetes.Stem cell research could help them.But I dont realy know where I stand on this issue.I certainly dont stand with Rush.And I want my sister to have the best life she can but I dont know if we are going messin were we shouldnt have been messin.As with all things even stem cell research with all the good it could bring could also be corupted and misguided and misused.As I said though Im just not sure wich side of the fence to get off on with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    That sounds like something a conservative would say. Maybe there's hope for you yet.
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

First, I'm a big fan of Fox...always have been. I would like to see/hear the political ad in which he appeared before I render a judgement. If he intentionally withheld his medicine and then said if you vote Democrat I'll be cured, if you vote Republican I won't...or the reverse...then he has stepped into the very nasty forum of politics and has to be prepared to be accused of grand standing. As to stem cell research, I have no issue with adult stem cells, but I find myself at odds with using those of fetuses due to my stand on abortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Connecticut Victim

I'm deeply insulted by that remark Lady. You don't know a goddamn thing about the real world and reality if thats how you think. In reality, most people are offended by RL's dumb ass comments. Here's the difference between this "typical Repblican" and most of you on here. I'd tell this stupid son of a ***** what I thought about him, just like I would any liberal who made stupid comments. Would your side do the same? I doubt it. Thats the real world baby.

And as for praying that Parkinson's gets him?? Thats far worse than accusing someone of faking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash
    First, I'm a big fan of Fox...always have been. I would like to see/hear the political ad in which he appeared before I render a judgement. If he intentionally withheld his medicine and then said if you vote Democrat I'll be cured, if you vote Republican I won't...or the reverse...then he has stepped into the very nasty forum of politics and has to be prepared to be accused of grand standing. As to stem cell research, I have no issue with adult stem cells, but I find myself at odds with using those of fetuses due to my stand on abortion.
    what most people don't understand is that fetus stem cells dont need to be frmo aborted fetuses. One of the absolute best source of stem cells from fetuses is from the placenta right after the baby is born. So if you wish to further stem cell research and your pregnant, let the doctors know they can take your placenta and use it for stem cell research.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash
    I'm a big fan of his too. I hear what you're saying Whiplash, but as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't have a problem if he played it up a little in order to get what he wants. He wants (needs actually!) a cure, so I wouldn't blame him for exaggerating the symptoms for the camera. I don't think he did, or even needed to, but I could look past it if that were really the case.

Michael J. Fox distorted the truth in this ad.

1. He stated or suggested the Republican's voted against stem cell research. Not true.

2. FACT: Stem cell research is underway unimpeded and in large part financed by the federal government.

3. The research Michael J. Fox is taking issue with and fails to state is embryonic stem cell research.

4. Embryonic stem cell research is underway in this country. It is in part being financed by the federal government and can be done unimpeded with private funds.

5. The only thing that was restricted by law under this administration was public funding of the destruction of more embryo's for this research.

And, yes, Michael J. Fox says he sometimes does not take his medication to maximize the effect of seeing him leaving people with the impression that he is living with effects of this disease that he can in fact minimize with medication. Not the whole truth unless he makes it known that this is the effect of this disease without medication.

Michael J. Fox has distorted the truth by omitting the whole truth both about the issue and his condition.
    Last edited by rustupid; 10-25-2006 at 10:17 PM.