+ Reply to Thread

Watergate scandal - This might be true?

Ok I was in my AP U.S. History class and we were discussing about the Watergate scandal and Nixon and all that shabang. This one student told the class that people in the government wanted to get out of Vietnam as soon as possible so they can deal with Iran, Iraq, somewhere in the middle east (I wasn't really paying attention). I guess because that's where all the money's at (oil). Nixon didn't want to leave Vietnam. So in order to go to the middle east and cease the war in Vietnam, the government officials had to get rid of Nixon. That, I persume, lead to Watergate scandal. You think? It might be true...maybe. Who knows. But if Nixon did leave Vietnam and start prowling the middle east, you'd think there be the famous Watergate scandal? I'm not a history fanatic nor am I'm good at studying history (86% - AP History grrrr), but I found this to be interesting. If someone can clarify if this student's assumption, statement, etc etc is outrageous, please tell why. And to think, if we won the Vietnam War, and democracy spread to Vietnam, us Vietnamese (Yes... I'm Vietnamese) wouldn't be in the harsh conditions as it is right now... >.< But who knows, it'd probably be like Iraq right now as well... I just look at how South Korea is doing so well right now... I just envy that country. :| If Vietnam ended like half of what South Korea right now, I would be so happy for my home country. +tears+

/end thoughts/
    Last edited by elite.x; 10-20-2006 at 11:24 PM.

Re: Watergate scandal - This might be true?

Nixon wanted out of Vietnam for the same reason Johnson and Kennedy wanted out; It was a d-mned stupid idea to get involved in the first place.
    When you're done with AP History, and are ready for learning, rather than test-prep (faugh), read Niccolo Macchiavelli.
    Remember, kids; getting good grades ain't the same as getting an education.

wiffla is offline the world as we think we know it User Rank

Re: Watergate scandal - This might be true?

well said dr poormouth.