+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Richard Dawkins vs God(s)

Lets just get it out in the open, I 100% agree with 99% of what Dawkins says.

I'll start with these two films, but there are heaps more. I'll post more films as the discussion dies down on each film.

Richard Dawkins Interview - The God Delusion
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kfnDdMRxM...elated&search=

The root of all evil part1
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AB2vmj8ey...elated&search=

Lol, I love the statistics of the cures...

I'm not sure if these all accurately follow on or not, but the first one might be enough. These are just for extra interest.
    Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=C10sSC2kB...elated&search=
    Part 3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wr_qZ3P4n...elated&search=
    Part 4: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-cZGGD5gr...elated&search=
    Part 5: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DDuUUhv0M...elated&search=

Shane

Re: Richard Dawkins vs God(s)

I agree. I'll watch those videos in a bit, but I love Dawkins. He's a fantastic author, really puts things in an easy to understand way. Much of the way I explain evolution to others is based on what I have read by Dawkins.

The only problem I can see with what Dawkins is doing, is that it is futile. Even if christianity/judaism/islam was proven false beyond all doubt, and all of the faiths derived from them suddenly accepted their error, all of those people would instantly grasp for some new belief system.

In fact, if nothing else was offered, they would call science, or evolution...or whatever thier new belief structure, and they would treat [i[that[/i] new thing dogmaticaly. That is, they would apply the same lack of rationality, the same zealousness and the same non-thinking to this new thing no matter what it is. Even if it is founded on the most rational thing on Earth.

There are just some people who need to know absolute facts in order to function in life. And 'opening' themselves to doubt is never an option.

My point is, current religion is simply one of the manifestations of the real problem. The real problem being that there will always been crazy ppl.

Perhaps, but I would like to hope not. At least a small portion of us are rational, especially among scientists, 93% of members of the National Academy of Scientists do not believe in a personal god. So I wonder, is it education that leads to rationality, or the other way around.

Probably the other way around. But I agree with Richard, its not the 5% who are already super rational, and its not the 5% who are super devout, its the 90% inbetween who haven't really thought about it, or aren't really bothered, or haven't ever really listened to a good argument either way. They are his target.

Its funny. I know a lot of people like that, my room mate is one. He is very intelligent, speaks 3 languages, degree in political science. Has no problem at all getting fired up at me in a debate about Howard or Bush or whatever. He calls himself a christian, believes in god, believes in evolution, is certainly in that 90%. But if the conversation ever turns towards religion, specifically anything that might make him question christianity, he just switches off, won't even discuss it. Its like there's a brick wall seperating his religious beliefs from the rest of his thought processes.

Ahhh..thats the compartmentalising that Dawkins mentions in that first interview....

Ahh, I didn't watch that first one yet, I'll have to give it a go. But really, I just don't understand it. If you believe in god then this is potentially the most important decision you will ever have to make. Wouldn't you want all the information possible? wouldn't you study the bible day and night? And yet you even start to mention that there are inconsistencies in it and the brain just switches off. Anyways, I'm gonna watch that first one before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Ahh, I didn't watch that first one yet, I'll have to give it a go. But really, I just don't understand it. If you believe in god then this is potentially the most important decision you will ever have to make. Wouldn't you want all the information possible? wouldn't you study the bible day and night? And yet you even start to mention that there are inconsistencies in it and the brain just switches off. Anyways, I'm gonna watch that first one before bed.
    By the same token, I have denied the existence of God and haven't even taken the time to finish reading the christian bible, (or any other) and my actions, if i was wrong could land me in eternal suffering. Surely I should take the time to study these things to be certain that I am not condemning myself to hell.

Meanwhile, if a christian is wrong, they havent lost anything when they die for denying atheism.

Its funny. I know a lot of people like that, my room mate is one. He is very intelligent, speaks 3 languages, degree in political science. Has no problem at all getting fired up at me in a debate about Howard or Bush or whatever. He calls himself a christian, believes in god, believes in evolution, is certainly in that 90%. But if the conversation ever turns towards religion, specifically anything that might make him question christianity, he just switches off, won't even discuss it. Its like there's a brick wall seperating his religious beliefs from the rest of his thought processes.
    I know someone exactly like that too! I wish I could be like that, honestly. I think it would be nice to have this extra, comforting back-up plan of Heaven, but I just can't lie to myself, if I believe something I have to have researched it and thought about it in depth.
    Lucky people who can just believe without thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza.
    Are you thinking out aloud or expressing a tiny bit of cred to the idea that God exists, and that if He does and you deny it, you will spend eternity in pergatory? (whatever enernity, and pergatory for that matter, is)
    I'm expressing my agreement with Dawkins that nothing can be conclusively proven false, hence I don't know for sure that God doesn't exist. With that in mind, it is a common christian (religious in general i suspect) argument that atheism gains you nothing, and being christian has the chance of eternal heaven, without costing you an afterlife if you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    The only problem I can see with what Dawkins is doing, is that it is futile. Even if christianity/judaism/islam was proven false beyond all doubt, and all of the faiths derived from them suddenly accepted their error, all of those people would instantly grasp for some new belief system.

In fact, if nothing else was offered, they would call science, or evolution...or whatever thier new belief structure, and they would treat [i[that[/i] new thing dogmaticaly. That is, they would apply the same lack of rationality, the same zealousness and the same non-thinking to this new thing no matter what it is. Even if it is founded on the most rational thing on Earth.

There are just some people who need to know absolute facts in order to function in life. And 'opening' themselves to doubt is never an option.

My point is, current religion is simply one of the manifestations of the real problem. The real problem being that there will always been crazy ppl.
    there's alot of good information in this post,even if it is structured subjectively!?can we as a group take it apart and find the truth or objectiveness here!?if 1 is not able to do so,then what would be the cause!?i would put forth the term identification as the cause for not bein able to separate the word structuring into objective truths!?and maybe the definition of crazy could be seen as complete identification with a wordology!?and that designed to eliminate all doubt in the mind!?and what would be the purpose of this attainment!?it can only mean justification or the absence of fear in 1's life!?now all we have to consider is direction!?and by that i mean the truth or results of this type of behavior!?or any behavior!?and of course the educational equivalence that allows same!?whether it guarantees the best outcome for the most!?if not!?who's to blame!?if it's all a natural process,then how have men,by realizing the implications,not been able to arrest it's most notable shortcomings!?(TIME!?)it is apparent it would take something SUPERnatural to accomplish this!?otherwise,it's always in the future HOPE!!whatever that is!?hehe!!....just askin.....

I'm just watching part 2 now. I love the quote from the biologist:

"In a way, chimps are like MS Dos, and humans are like Windows 2000."

Lol. Stumbled across this.

The Official God FAQ

Lol. Stumbled across this.

The Official God FAQ
    Very nice! I particularly liked the way they handled that last question.

I'm just watching part 2 now. I love the quote from the biologist:

"In a way, chimps are like MS Dos, and humans are like Windows 2000."
    actually DOS was and is a great operating system!?your really just comparing BETA and VHS!?hehe!!...just askin.....