+ Reply to Thread

Judge Orders Cheney Visitor Logs Opened

Judge Orders Cheney Visitor Logs Opened
    By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 40 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A federal judge has ordered the Bush administration to release information about who visited Vice President Dick Cheney's office and personal residence, an order that could spark a late election season debate over lobbyists' White House access.

The Washington Post asked for two years of White House visitor logs in June but the Secret Service refused to process the request. Government attorneys called it "a fishing expedition into the most sensitive details of the vice presidency."

U.S. District Judge Ricardo M. Urbina ruled Wednesday that, by the end of next week, the Secret Service must produce the records or at least identity them and justify why they are being withheld.

The newspaper sought logs for anyone visiting Cheney, his legal counsel, chief spokesman and other top aides and advisers.

The Secret Service had no comment on the ruling Thursday. In court documents, government attorneys said releasing the documents would infringe on Cheney's ability to seek advice.

"This case is about protecting the effective functioning of the vice presidency under the Constitution," attorneys wrote.

A lawsuit over similar records revealed last month that Republican activists Grover Norquist and Ralph Reed key figures in the Jack Abramoff lobbying scandal landed more than 100 meetings inside the Bush White House.

The Post cited those records, which were released to the Democratic Party and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, as evidence that the documents should be released.

Yahoo News Article

They ought to do this for every big wig in the goverment so we can get a true idea of who's for sale and who's not - at least make em work for their pay-offs :D

Re: Judge Orders Cheney Visitor Logs Opened

We are talking about visitors to the white house its not as if they are asking top secret documents.It makes me wonder what their hiding when they go to such lengths to keep such seemingly trivial information out of our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie
    We are talking about visitors to the white house its not as if they are asking top secret documents.It makes me wonder what their hiding when they go to such lengths to keep such seemingly trivial information out of our hands.

Yep. It is a public building that we pay for. Go figure :confused:

I'm guessing when they see that there's an vastly inordinate amount of meetings with energy industry lobbyists that they'll next ask for minutes of said meetings. When they offer none, we're going to see some real fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    I'm guessing when they see that there's an vastly inordinate amount of meetings with energy industry lobbyists that they'll next ask for minutes of said meetings. When they offer none, we're going to see some real fireworks.
    And we should. I'm so sick of politicians who are up for bid and it's not just on the republican side. There are a LOT of dirty politicians. Just look at where are jobs are being sent due to NAFTA and CAFTA. One on a democrat's watch and one on a republican's watch. Who are they serving? Definately doesn't seem to be us.

Exactly Button this is sick we are the bosses not them we the tax payers who voted their asses into office in the first place.I have really had it.What do we do though???????Somebody got any thoughts?????

Exactly Button this is sick we are the bosses not them we the tax payers who voted their asses into office in the first place.I have really had it.What do we do though???????Somebody got any thoughts?????
    You know I really don't know. It's not like you have much of a choice at the poles these days and once they get in office they've got some control over what happens to them i.e. you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. I say that meetings need to be monitored, personal bank accounts and I say NOOO to campaign contributions. It ought to be a goverment sponsored thing to have several debates on the television so that we the people can see what they stand for instead of all these d@mn signs that don't mean sh!t. You even noticed there will be ten of the same sign right there in one square foot? And I really don't care that much about their privacy and if they don't like it don't run.

I would say that in an idea world most things would be put to the people instead of voting people in office to make the laws and decisions for us. There are somethings along the lines of national security that the lay person would not be qualified to decide on but things like gambling, illegal drugs, making things illegal that were legal, etc. If we voted on issues like this, then lobbying wouldn't be a problem and these big companies would have to abide by the laws that their peers set.

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    And we should. I'm so sick of politicians who are up for bid and it's not just on the republican side. There are a LOT of dirty politicians. Just look at where are jobs are being sent due to NAFTA and CAFTA. One on a democrat's watch and one on a republican's watch. Who are they serving? Definately doesn't seem to be us.
    Definitely. Clinton was as bad with the telecom industry as the Bush administration is with the energy industry.