+ Reply to Thread

Advanced Advertising Concepts/Mano Marketing

Does anyone know much about a company called Advanced Advertising Concepts or Mano Marketing? They (AAC) called me after finding my resume on Careerbuilder.com I went to an interview and they called me back for a second interview where I will be bascially job shadowing someone. The first interview was just a "background" interview, this was all w/ AAC. But on thier voicemail and door to the suit it says Mano Marketing. Both websites www.advancedadvertisingconcepts.com and www.manomarketing.com are pretty much the same website but just with different backgrounds. I was telling me older sister about my second interview coming up next week and she checked out the website and said it sounded a little fishy, there were misspellings and no real history about the company. She said a lot of "marketing" companies are scams especially if they sound too good to be true. Does anyone have any insight on this for me?!?!

Re: Advanced Advertising Concepts/Mano Marketing

Check to see if this company is a DS Max spin-off. The experience that you had is very similar to one I had with Child Safety Inc., another marketing company. What this sounds like to me is a multi level marketing company.

Ask them who they are affiliated with, whether the position is commisions based and whether you will be selling door to door or doing events based marketing (which is nothing more than sitting in a table outside of a store selling cheap crap). Also beware if the company talks more about what the company they market for does, than what they do.

I would also recommend checking this site to see if you find the company there:http://groups.msn.com/DSMAXTheAftermath/alumni.msnw.

There are also threads in this forum about Child Safety Inc and GID Promotions. Compare your experience with the ones there.

Please be careful! There are a lot of companies like this preying on young recent college grads that misrepresent their positions. If they said anything about a management training program, this is probably one of them.

I received an email from them as well and I would be interested to know if this is a scam. We were concerned by how basic and uninformative their website was. Any help is great. Thanks!

-stacey

I also got an email from them. I went in for my first interview and like you said it was just a backround interview. Well I decided to go in for a second interview (what could it hurt i was already un employed) that is when i learned all their was to know they pretty much laid everything out on the table and by the end of the night it was my decsion if i wanted to job or not. I think with some companys you have to be careful but what could it honestly hurt when you dont have a job already. Obviously becareful, ask questions. If you dont like the job say so and learn from that inter view. aac is one company i found that was honest and up front about what they did.

Re: Advanced Advertising Concepts

Personally I work for AAC and i was never mis lead durnin my interviews at all

hey i just went to an interview today at AAC in Indy. I was wondering if anyone knows more about the company, how you get paid...is it on commission?, what exactly i will be doing and stuff like that. I go in for my 2nd interview next week, so i just want to know a little more before i get into it. Thanks a ton!

DON'T go to the interview at AAC. I just went to one in Indianapolis, IN. Total waste of time. The interviewer didn't want to tell me any exact details about the company. He kept trying to cut me off everytime I asked a question but I kept asking anyway. The job is pretty much business to business solicitation. What they want you to do is take unsold sporting event tickets and sell them as a discounted bundle pack to different businesses. They don't set up appointments for you or anything. You meet up at the office, get tickets, and go out to random businesses and try to sell them. AAC is very misleading in representing what the job actually is. I hope nobody else wastes there time like I did. >:(

I too interviewed with "Patrick Murphy" at Advanced Advertising Concepts in Indianapolis. Very misleading from the start. First called themselves "Pounder, Inc." on Career Builder, looking for "sports marketing pros". Webiste yieded no direct answers about company... only vague references to marketing. Used all stock-photography and templates on their site. Immediately after applying, a "secretary" called (suspicious). Called the # back, and it turns out to be an invalid toll free number, which only allowed you to leave a message.. second interview would be a "job shadow" going to various businesses to solicit sales. Further internet research showed ties to door-to-door sales, and pyramid practices and ties to organizations such as DS-Max. NOT LISTED WITH BBB. Although they may be a valid company with real (desperate) employees, their business practices are at the very least shady and secretive. If they don't give you answers up front, don't waste your time!

You will be selling coupons door to door. This company is part of DS MAX started in Canada. You will be getting pumped up yelling "Juice" all the time and only saying positive things. Kind of like a cult.

The "managment training" thing is basically you doing the second interview which is where you will show the interviewee what happens in the days work. The idea is to get people under you who will then do the same thing so that you will get a piece of everything they do and the people under them, etc.

Then once you've reached your numbers you can then set out and do what Patrick Murphy does and run "your own business" selling coupons. AAC is selling to businesses and they also have divisions that sell coupons to homes and at the bottom of the barrel lugging around a box full of cheap junk and selling to people on the street.

Of course it's misleading...if you were told you will be selling coupons (and you have a college degree), would you even go for an interview. Prepared to have all the stops pulled on you (like sense of urgency, fear of loss, greed, etc).

If you don't mind all that, it's not a bad way to build some simple sales skills selling face to face. Make sure you wear sunscreen.

10. 08-04-2007, 01:04 AM

I know for a fact anyone who walked into the interview and asked is this door to door sells. You would have gotten an answer! Mr. Murphy is not going to come straight out and say you will be doing d2d sells because you wouldnt even give the company a chance. So if you were mis lead that was your own fault for not asking questions. :D

I got the same email. I set up an interview with them then went online to do a bit of research. Their website tells you nothing about the company, which was enough to get my suspicions up. Then I noticed the email had came from "whitney@pounderinc.com." Wouldn't it be logical for an employee of Advanced Advertising Concepts to have an advancedadvertisingconcepts.com email address? Finally, I found this forum. I think I'll skip this interview.

Update: I sent them an email letting them know that I wouldn't be there and got one back like 5 minutes later literally begging me to come in, telling me I couldn't afford to miss this opportunity. That's enough to remove any shred of doubt I may have had. If I worked in HR and received the email I sent them, I'd say screw this guy, I don't want him working for me.
    Last edited by MikeW; 10-16-2007 at 02:44 PM.

I know Patrick Murphy and I have personally worked in his office 4 or 5 times during roadtrips. They mainly do Home Improvement now, which basically means they sign people up for free estimates on windows, siding, etc. Not such a bad gig, no selling and you get 45$ a pop. They also do door to door makeup and excucard. They have one of the more high energy offices in the country. Patrick has been doing this for about 10 years. I left my office not too long ago, after attending the top gun meeting. I just could not beleive the lie anymore, to be quite honest I never wanted to be a owner, I just liked going door to door and making 800 dollars a week. I still get a kick on how many people on here talk about there experiences with the smart circle offices, especially those coming in for interveiws. I guess it does seem like the weirdest job in the world. lol

Just need to add my two cents to this convo, I almost completly forgot about this company, trying to block it from my memory! My boyfriend worked for AAC in Indianapolis not too long ago about a year now. I could not believe he got sucked into that horrible trap being an intelligent college grad. He had just graduated from college and was desperate to start a career. Door to door sales selling coupons and other crap is hardly a career. He claimed he would be making all kinds of money and this and that. I probably would have thought nothing of it if he would get off at a decent time, but no he would go in about 8 or 9am and get off at like 9pm. His boss would call him on Sunday nights, people would drop from the company like flies, no company history. When they went on a "business trip" he had to stay in a hotel with 7 other employees all in one room, pay for his own gas and food, etc. Women sharing beds who barely knew each other my boyfriend and others sleeping on the floor due to lack of beds. CRAZY. I finally begged him to see my point that something was up by doing some reseach and find helpful cites like this one. I found the history about dsmax and all the other links. After reading about them scream JUICE and other crazy ringing of bells and what not I finally got him on my side. I told him how I read about the company online and he kept saying it was a different company until I questioned him about this JUICE and RING THE BELL crap. This nightmare company made me so mad, please don't fall into the trap do not work for this company. Also they had him selling this junk in the "hood" of Indy nothing like getting shot for some stupid job, not safe.

Ok I have posted about AAC but that was when I was employeed their. Now my feelings are much diffrent! I was the adminstrator for the company for an entire year i watched people come and go, not only were these very smart people these were men and women who had degrees who were making shit for money. Most the time i made more than half the people their. They worked more than me most working 10+ hrs a day me however 8 if I didnt call in because I hated Patrick. That man wasnt a boss he would insult u if u gave him a open door. Not only that but I knew several people who couldnt cash their checks because his account was put on "hold" this didnt happen just one time! About the interviews he never told anyone the truth after feeling great about an interview you would come in for a second interview where i would lie to u (it was my job) and make u feel like this was the Job of a life time u were heading some where. And u come back at the end of the night tired because u were outside in the elements all day walking NON Stop. By the way the company no longer exisits Patrick has moved up in the the DS MAX scheme where he is bringing in new clients for other companys like his old one. Now u have to worry about Arrow Marketing. If u have any questions feel free to email me napzprncss06@aol.com