+ Reply to Thread

Carbon and isotope dating is silly.

Here is a great article on the problems with carbon and isotope dating methods.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs...bon_dating.asp

Re: Carbon and isotope dating is silly.

Everything in that article has been debunked by others. I'm not willing to go through the whole thing and refute every single point, I haven't got that sort of time. If there is something in particular you would like me to respond to, then by all means ask.

Doesn't carbon dating asume that the deterioration of 14C is constant? We can only know the deterioration rate of carbon over a period that it has been observed and recorded....and I don't think carbon dating is millions of years old.

Quote Originally Posted by knuperup
    Doesn't carbon dating asume that the deterioration of 14C is constant? We can only know the deterioration rate of carbon over a period that it has been observed and recorded....and I don't think carbon dating is millions of years old.
    Decay rates can be predicted from first principles from quantum mechanics. The only way they could change over time is if the fundamental constants were to change over time. A change in the fundamental constants would result in all radioactive decays changing over time, not just carbon.

So how do we know all radioactive rates of decay haven't changed over time??

Well, we can measure the decay rate using supernovas, so we know it hasn't changed in at least the last few billion years. We know from the Oklo natural nuclear reactor that they haven't changed for the last 2 billion years. Also, if the decay rates were changing we wouldn't have such accurate agreement between various decaying isotopes.

Here is a great article on the problems with carbon and isotope dating methods.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs...bon_dating.asp
    Quoting AnswersInGenitals web site shows your lack of research or desire to learn the truth.

Here is a link that explains the truth and myths regarding dating...and it's written by a Christian Scientist...someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html#page%2019

Carbon dating is for items no older than 50,000 years. Radiometric dating or other dating is used to date older items.

just for fun,i looked up silly here!?http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=328415 hehe!!who knew!?......just askin....

Once, in my Carbon days, I dated a hot little Isotope; she was old enough, but not that old, and she enjoyed the high Half-Life.
    We'd repair to our Periodic Table at the Element Restaurant, and linger for hours in the colour and Charm of the place, discussing Quarks of fate, enjoying the Strange Attractor between us.
    Alas, we moved into different orbits. She ran off with Mere Entropy, and my life has been less complex since.